Savannakhet 's Thai Consulate info update

I got back this morning.

Most people were in the queue by 9 (suggest you get there before 11) when it opened and on the Tuesday when I was there the consulate processed about 80 people. Seems like Savanakhet is finally becoming popular and hence maybe the change of policy of one day processing. There is only one immigration officer that I could see taking the applications and checking them. Everyone I spoke to had received the visas they asked for and most of those were double entries.

The good coffee shops with free wifi (Lin's coffee) are by the old consulate, which is about a 40 minute walk down to the river. Tuktuk is about 60 Baht each. I highly recommend Lin's - the food was great and even though a long wait it was worth it. And she was reasonably priced compared to Vientiane. Real French style baguettes!!

About the journey - even though it is longer (about 3 hours more from Chiang Mai) it is much more comfortable on the scheduled bus than one of those nightmare mini-vans to Vientiane. Also note the last bus that leaves Mukdahan for the return journey to Chiang Mai is 16:45 and I think the Bangkok bus goes about 19:00 but you all change Khon Kaen

or Pee Loo.

I would definitely go the Savanakhet route again than Vientiane as long as the one day processing is still happening.

Edited by nealthewheel
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

As UbonJoe said, it is a short walk. Keep to your left as you walk out of the bus station. 5 to 10 minute walk.

Or you can get a tuk-tuk from the bridge directly to the consulate right after you get stamped into Lao. They asked for 200 baht but settled for 160 baht in my case.

160B for a ten minute walk? Incredible.

I used to walk from the river to the embassy (and conculate, visa sector) in Vientiane.

I've walked from the bus station to the old consulate in Savanakhet just bcz I arrived so early. Get some excercise, why not.

Id never paid more than b40 to the old consulate from bus sta in Savan.

Edited by Mencken
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Int'l bus does not go past consulate.

walking is easiest way once at Savanakhet bus station.

Don't worry if see Tuk Tuk with others going to right out front of bus station but you go left, they take long way round to justify the high charges :-O & approach embassy from other direction & also dump you at the overpriced visa assistance shop opposite the consulate.

The walk is 10 minutes, you will pass L-Kang hotel on your right & that about half way point between bus depo & consulate.

Hello,

555 funny, I searched your hotel Kang hotel in Google and found this post.

So am I stupid or they do not allow online booking or do not have a website ?

Any other hotel near consulate that you can find online ?

Thank you...

^ I never booked online as never busy enough in savanakhet to worry about prebooking plus I like see room before parting with my money.

I doubt many of the Hotels & Guest Houses have websites & online booking, you could look at booking.com or tripadviser for some leads but best way is sort it on the day on foot & in person .

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am off to Savannakhet in a couple of weeks, and I am organising my paperwork. Would it be OK to use scanned copies, or do they have to be photocopied?

Cheers in advance

Hi, I am off to Savannakhet in a couple of weeks, and I am organising my paperwork. Would it be OK to use scanned copies, or do they have to be photocopied?

Good quality copies, or scan and print are equivalent and indistinguishable.

Poor copies or scans should be always avoided.

Good quality copies, or scan and print are equivalent and indistinguishable.

Poor copies or scans should be always avoided.

Ok thanks. The scans are great copies, but I am a little worried that they are full A4 size, not a replica of the original

Ok thanks. The scans are great copies, but I am a little worried that they are full A4 size, not a replica of the original

In this case, size doesn't matter. These would be same as any copy shop would make.

Edited by paz

• 1 month later...