Expired retirement visa

If our extnesion fos stay (not "retirment visa") is expired you need to make a new application meaning you need to have a non-immigrant visa.

By the way what you call "visa on arrival" is called "visa exempt". You can convert that to non-immigrant visa in Bangkok.

Edited by paz

What did have before a visa from an embassy or consulate or an extension of stay you got from immigration?

Either way you should try to get a single entry non-o visa so you can apply for an extension of stay after arriving.

You can do a conversion to a non immigrant visa during the first 15 days of the 30 day visa exempt entry you will get when you enter the country if you do not have a visa. This will require 2 trips to immigration to Bangkok immigration to do. Then after you get the visa and 90 day entry stamp you can apply for an extension of stay during the last 30 days of that entry.

• 4 weeks later...

Any advice please. I am a UK citizen,have lived in Hua Hin for 4 years use ing a one year retirement visa,renewed each year. I forgot to renew on a recent trip to NZ,paid the fine at airport immigration,went to the Thai embassy in NZ,who issued me with a tourist visa to return to Thailand.

Now back,I visited the immigration in HH today,and was told that due to a rule change made in November,I will have to go to BKK to get a non immigrant o visa. I understand this is now a 2 step process,to convert to a one year retirement visa.....my question is, does anyone know if I can do the conversion of the "o" visa to a "retirement" visa in HH? Or do I have to wait 2 weeks and return to BKK,for this process?

I have had the necessary funds in my Thai account for 4years. Thanks for any info!

Any advice please. I am a UK citizen,have lived in Hua Hin for 4 years use ing a one year retirement visa,renewed each year. I forgot to renew on a recent trip to NZ,paid the fine at airport immigration,went to the Thai embassy in NZ,who issued me with a tourist visa to return to Thailand.

Now back,I visited the immigration in HH today,and was told that due to a rule change made in November,I will have to go to BKK to get a non immigrant o visa. I understand this is now a 2 step process,to convert to a one year retirement visa.....my question is, does anyone know if I can do the conversion of the "o" visa to a "retirement" visa in HH? Or do I have to wait 2 weeks and return to BKK,for this process?

I have had the necessary funds in my Thai account for 4years. Thanks for any info!

They are correct in telling you that conversions to non-imm 'O' are now only done in Bangkok. If you don't like the idea of taking two trips there, your alternative is to travel to Vientane Laos for a non-imm 'O' visa issued in 2 days.

Edited by paz

If history does repeat and you do forget again, try to get a Non-Immigrant O visa rather than a Tourist Visa. You can even do that in countries neighboring Thailand. If you enter Thailand with a Non-Immigrant O visa you can avoid the (double) trip to Bangkok and just extend in Hua Hin within the last 30 (45?) days of the 90 day stay.