Driving to Malaysia from Thailand

Chimera

I am planning a driving trip to KL from Thailand, and have a couple of questions that arise from reading this topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/448141-can-i-drive-my-car-in-malaysia-what-do-i-need/ and this topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/184695-driving-to-malaysia/

I plan to take my blue book (ownership document), passport (obviously), Thai Drivers License with me.

Now, there is mention of documents that need to be obtained at the Dept of Land Transport (Thailand).

My question is...can the DLT documents be obtained at any DLT office (specifically, one close to the Malaysian border) or must they be obtained in the province in which the vehicle is registered?

Is this document (anyone know what it is called in English and Thai) the only one needed from the DLT?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chimera

Blue Book,cover note from my Thai Ins Co for exiting,another cover purchased at Sadao for good measure,Thai full 5 Year Thai License. DLT paper from my Province, Wife sorted that, but they never looked at it . Ive seen many trying to scrape window film off, so beware of that ,like me they hate the crap. Very polite folk,where You Going..? Penang ,one week. O.K safe Journey,enjoy,that's it. No 10 copies nothing useful like Thais require for a retirement extension.!!. Not saying other poster are wrong about all that translation /regs stuff though.Just that's what ive done for 5 visits ,last visit being 18 months ago though.Most enjoyable trips.thumbsup.gifcoffee1.gif

I don't have tinted windows.

I crossed in April at the Wang Prachan border in the Thale Ban National Park.

We thought apart from being scenic it would be a quiet crossing - in fact it's quite busy.

I spent 250 baht getting my local DLT to provide number plates in metal in wester Script. - turns out they were not acceptable as they didn't have the province on them.

you don't need the purple car passport.

DLT also provided me with a translation of the details of my Blue book which is required by Malaysia. it actually seems to be a Vehicle inspection Certificate - valid for about a year. This is same day and cost is minimal.

On arriving the Thai side couldn't push me through fast enough...on the Malaysian side we found that the insurance place was closed (after4.30pm?).

so we drove to the main border crossing at Padang Besar. Here for 800 they prepared and affixed the number plates issued insurance and documents we then went across to the customs offices and got everything stamped.

normally if we'd arrived earlier at Wang Prachan it would have been carried out there.

I found the most disconcerting thing was the vey casual approach and lack of documentation.

I of course had m car blue book and all the relevant Thai documentation, D/L and even an international DP, but didn't produce anything except the blue book at the insurance offices.

Much simpler than entering Laos.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

I would like to know if I can get this paperwork from a DLT outside the province where my car is registered.

If it was me, I would get it at/near my home.

Better than getting to Sadao and finding out that they can not do it. I would feel much better having all my ducks in a row before I left home.

• Like 2

I've read elsewhere the window film is not OK in Malaysia. Funny how nearly all cars in one country has it and the neighboring country disallows it.

I can't imagine trying to scrape it off. It isn't particularly cheap and I find it useful.

Any information as to the rates for insurance and any other entry costs in Malaysia?

Edited by watcharacters

I've read elsewhere the window film is not OK in Malaysia. Funny how nearly all cars in one country has it and the neighboring country disallows it.

I can't imagine trying to scrape it off. It isn't particularly cheap and I find it useful.

Any information as to the rates for insurance and any other entry costs in Malaysia?

Thailand has laws on car tint window also (maybe they're not the same same a Malaysia) but since (like everything else) it is not policed... well, people do whatever they want.

Malaysia allows up to 30% tint on the windscreen and 50% on side and rear windows.

Not sure why anyone would find the ease of taking a car into Malaysia as 'disconcerting'. Very pleasant and easy compared to driving into any other of Thailand's neighbours.

• Like 1

Comes off easily with a clothes steamer, There is also a special spray I saw once (but never since, had I known I certainly would have found out what it was? All I recall was is was citrus based) but it literally shriveled it up in about 15 to 20 seconds and they just wiped it right off.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I would like to know if I can get this paperwork from a DLT outside the province where my car is registered.

If it was me, I would get it at/near my home.

Better than getting to Sadao and finding out that they can not do it. I would feel much better having all my ducks in a row before I left home.

It's the translation of your ownership book that is done at the local LTO.

You can buy insurance in various packages 1-6 months, etc at a couple of places in Hat Yai before you reach the border, and also the reg plate stickers are 100b or less each in HY.

When you get to the border you show your papers and insurance to get the Malaysian driving permit. This can only be done at the border.

Some answers are quite confusing. From the department of transportation in the Province you're living you need a translation of the blue book page showing license information. You need a license plate sticker showing the license plate as mention on this paper front and back of the car. At the border and at Wang Prachan it's actually, before the crossing you need to purchase an insurance for your car, valid in Malaysia, as mentioned get there before 4:30 pm. Normally this is valid for one month. The sticker is important and the insurance.

Have a nice trip.

To answer your question - at the LTO you need to ask for "Blair tabian" which means translate document or something close.

I did mine at the same time as transferring the title, and It took 24 hours and I think it cost 100b or 200b or something. This may not be the rule.

I understand you are going through thale baan but if you have any reservations or doubts then go through the Sadao border, there is a girl on the left in a tent that will sell you the insurance and the JPJ ( the Malaysian land transport office, Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan ) is behind. This is the office that will issue the driving permit sticker.

I crossed the border just below hatyai it's true if you wait to get insurance on Malaysian side tinted windows can be a problem . I have always got my insurance number sticker in the town on the border . Sorry forget the cost but quite a few places doit they are all signposted so easy to find . As long as you have blue book and hour current insurance and 5 year Thai driving licence you will not have a problem . Have a good trip

I crossed the border just below hatyai it's true if you wait to get insurance on Malaysian side tinted windows can be a problem . I have always got my insurance number sticker in the town on the border . Sorry forget the cost but quite a few places doit they are all signposted so easy to find . As long as you have blue book and hour current insurance and 5 year Thai driving licence you will not have a problem . Have a good trip

• Like 1

There seems to be an imp!ovation that THAI insurance can be extended to cover you in Malaysia...I would be surprised if that's the case.

As for getting you DLT stuff...why not just go in and try? If they say no you will know what to do. Most DLTs I've been in have very helpful receptions... Just show 'em the blue book and point out you're from a different region

If you have window film at the permitted levels of tint do they ask for certificate (i.e. how do they check if say 60% rather than 50%)

Just had a new Honda O.E. Screen fitted and thats got about a 10% built in smokey tint i hate. More hassle,last years was Crystall clear.sad.png

There seems to be an imp!ovation that THAI insurance can be extended to cover you in Malaysia...I would be surprised if that's the case.

As for getting you DLT stuff...why not just go in and try? If they say no you will know what to do. Most DLTs I've been in have very helpful receptions... Just show 'em the blue book and point out you're from a different region

Depends on the Company and Policy Type.. BKK Insurance do.Thats one reason i changed.

Typical farang overthinking on here. I have been many times just with blue book. Best thing to remember is leave with tank virtually empty.. RON95 gas is under two ringgit now.

Total westerner who doesn't know what the frig he's talking about.

I have also been there a few times without insurance but if you get stopped at a JYJ checkpoint they will either send you back to Thailand or impound your vehicle, there are reports in other forums of the latter happening.

Malaysia isn't Thailand you can't buy your way out of a problem with 500b or plead ignorance.

So, you managed to buy insurance without a translation ??

The guy is driving to KL .. Is it worth the risk of losing your car for the sake of 1000b worth of paper and insurance.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

Must have an English translation of the license plate displayed - only front for bikes. Which you get with an English translation of the blue or green book.

White letters on black background. Like this ...

post-81192-0-87403100-1421304984_thumb.j

• Like 2

Must have an English translation of the license plate displayed - only front for bikes. Which you get with an English translation of the blue or green book.

White letters on black background. Like this ...

attachicon.gifPICT1616.JPG

as i said, i DIDN"T get the right plates from the DLT, but it is no hassle getting them on or over the border.

totally agree about fuel - diesel was 20r per litre in April, wouldn't be surprised if it is even less now. beware though - near the border they may restrict how much you can put in. Those "on a fiddle" will fill the tank but charge a bit extra.

Edited by wilcopops

Total westerner who doesn't know what the frig he's talking about.

I have also been there a few times without insurance but if you get stopped at a JYJ checkpoint they will either send you back to Thailand or impound your vehicle, there are reports in other forums of the latter happening.

Malaysia isn't Thailand you can't buy your way out of a problem with 500b or plead ignorance.

So, you managed to buy insurance without a translation ??

Mmmm,

Yes, i am a westerner because i have lived in kanchanaburi for thirty years

You pay 500baht? Wow, you must be new.

Malaysia is very like Thailand...a smile goes a long way as well as fluency in the language.

A translation....well my Thai is excellent so I do translations myself.

Glad you know what the frig you are talking about!

Hi,

What about RENTING a car to drive from BKK to KL (I have no car of my own) ?

Will a car rental company allow this and provide for all necessary doc's ?

In theory, yes, if the rental agency is willing to provide the blue book and a power of attorney for you. In practice, none of the large international chains allow it, even though they are all represented in Malaysia too, driving is on the same side of the road as Thailand, driving a car across the border is easy and it's easier to drive in Malaysia than Thailand. I'd speak to a local rental company and offer to give them a deposit for the blue book as collateral, but if they'll budge is another matter. However, I've heard of some motorcycle rental companies allowing their bikes into Laos and Malaysia, so why not car rental companies right?

Otherwise, the only company in Asia that rents self-drive vehicles for cross-border purposes is AVIS in Laos, also known under their former name of Asia Vehicle Rental. Their vehicles cross into Thailand daily and have 1-year Thai 3rd party insurance already. I've never heard of any of their vehicles being driven to Malaysia, but since Malaysia lets in most foreign registered vehicles it wouldn't be a problem. Only issue is that the steering wheel is on the wrong side, so you'd be driving a LHD vehicle on the left-hand side of the road through thousands of km of highways from Nong Khai all the way to KL and then back again. But since that's allowed, and the entire journey from the Lao border to KL is on multi-lane highways, this isn't a big concern.

• Like 1

@Tomtomtom69

Thank for all the precious info.

Meanwhile I received info about a Bangkok based car rental company that may allow to drive abroad and taker care of all paperwork.

I have sent them a mail requesting confirmation. If it works I let you know.

Aldo

• Like 1

@Tomtomtom69

Thank for all the precious info.

Meanwhile I received info about a Bangkok based car rental company that may allow to drive abroad and taker care of all paperwork.

I have sent them a mail requesting confirmation. If it works I let you know.

Aldo

Please do, I'd be curious about it myself and would like to hear about how it worked out for you (irrespective of what their decision ended up being).