Mazda CX-5 or budget - Mazda 3?

I need to buy a car. The choice is between Mazda CX-5 Diesel or go for budget and buy a Mazda 3 SP Sport. Logic says M3 and heart says Ferra... I mean CX-5. I like the CX-5 interior and options. The M3 interior feels little too simple for my liking and it lacks a lot of what I would expect to be standard equipment (cruise control, parking sensors etc), especially for a car in the 1.1Mbaht range. I don't drive far and often as im a bike guy. All cars in Thailand are so expensive so both does not feel like a "good buy" I have driven the CX-5 and liked a lot. I have just sat in M3, but I have heard and read that M3 is fun to drive, which is a good thing. Should I go for heart or brain?

Next question is reselling value. I have heard that Thais don't like red cars, and a red car will be harder to resell. White is to prefer what I have heard. What is your experience regarding colors? Both looks good though. An M3 in red or a CX-5 in white is in my mind just now.

Are there any better options than M3 in the same price range out there?

Would it be possible to install an aftermarket ACC (adaptive cruise control) do you think?

I see that Mazda calls it Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) I wonder if it is possible to add it afterwards?

do you really need it? most people who have it never use it especially in Thailand where you have to dodge trucks, dogs, motosai and pot holes, save your money bro.

I did test both and liked them both. The M3 is a nice nippy car and fun to drive and I think the interior in top or higher spec is pretty nice. Cruise control, never used in my 20 years in Thailand and honestly don't think if i tried i would be able to more than 1km.

Parking sensors: if you talk to sales staff they will tell you that even though they are not in it, they can put and in most cases free!

In my opinion the M3 as well as M2 looks great in this red. Resale...you will of course loose less with an M3, simply because the initial cost is lower.

If you don't need the space, or 4WD then go with brain....nice drive I think. (my regular drive is a VW Golf GTI) and I thought the M3 did quite well in comparison, handling wise at least it was 80-90% there. Interior not far either. Power of course is a different thing...

My test of the CX5 diesel was kind of ....hmmh....expected more oomph, didn't feel that it was Thaaaat powerful, but again it is maybe what you read in tests etc. or the engine was still a bit stiff.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to install an aftermarket ACC (adaptive cruise control) do you think?

I see that Mazda calls it Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) I wonder if it is possible to add it afterwards?

do you really need it? most people who have it never use it especially in Thailand where you have to dodge trucks, dogs, motosai and pot holes, save your money bro.

A regular cruise control is totally useless, absolutely yes, But an adaptive cruise control is a different story, as it can be very useful as it can adapt the speed to the car in front of you. It is also handy when stuck in queues as the car runs itself, sort of.

Edited by inventorinthailand

Had a red City, difficult to sell ....Thai's only like black, white or silver. My buddy had a silver Jazz one year older than mine but got more for it despite my City having less than half his mileage and in better condition!

Bought a silver CX5 and am very happy with it. But had a small knock ...silver easy to match and repair, my buddy now has a red M3 also had a bump, but only place to repair is BKK.

The red is beautiful but has its costs!

Unbelievable to say Mazda Thailand cannot do body repair work, "TIT"

A regular cruise control is totally useless, absolutely yes, But an adaptive cruise control is a different story, as it can be very useful as it can adapt the speed to the car in front of you. It is also handy when stuck in queues as the car runs itself, sort of.

Love my regular cruise control, use it all the time.

I've driven in the UK and in Thailand, and found that I hardly used cruise control in either country.

However, I used cruise control extensively when driving cross-country in the US and in Australia, but not in urban areas (where I spent most of my time).

As for using adaptive CC in Thai cities .... they won't work so well when a taxi or (worse) a motorcycle suddenly cuts into your lane with 3 inches to spare - you'll get doses of whiplash galore!

Ref your original question - I'd go with the CX-5 in a light colour.

• Like 1

Had a red City, difficult to sell ....Thai's only like black, white or silver. My buddy had a silver Jazz one year older than mine but got more for it despite my City having less than half his mileage and in better condition!

Bought a silver CX5 and am very happy with it. But had a small knock ...silver easy to match and repair, my buddy now has a red M3 also had a bump, but only place to repair is BKK.

The red is beautiful but has its costs!

Unbelievable to say Mazda Thailand cannot do body repair work, "TIT"

So white it will be then... Many thanks