Motorbike Accident - insurance wanted thai bank account

SoFarAndNear

I friend of mine had a motorbike accident on Koh Samui around 3 years ago. A thai driver cutted him and he crashed. Fortunaly he only had some scratches, they were deep but nothing too serious. It was not his fault and the insurance of the thai driver agreed to pay for for all costs. We broguth the motorbike to a repair shop and the shop forwarded the bill directly to the insurance, we never knew how much this had cost. But the problem was that the thai insurance didn't pay upfront for the hospital bill (it was around 8000 THB) they wanted him to bring the hospital bill to the insurance office and then they just gave him a check which he only could pay-in in a bank account in thailand on his name. This was a ridicoulus situation. We have been to all banks in that area and every bank refused. It i snotpossible to open as a tourist. We finally had it done when asked a Thai friend on the island to vouche for him at a very small bank in the deep south of koh samui (of course they wanted 3000THB tea money) so he could open a bank account even as a tourist.

We definetly feeled tricked by the insurance company about this. There was no legal chance that he could open a bank account. I am asking now because he wants to come back to thailand and wants to know if this was normally?!

Edited by SoFarAndNear

It is normal for an insurance company to issue a check to pay out claims. Whether it would have been to the hospital or clinic that treated him or to him directly, they issue a check.

How does a tourist cash it? Separate question.

"It i snotpossible to open as a tourist. We finally had it done when asked a Thai friend on the island to vouche for him at a very small bank"

Bit of a contradiction there, it obviously was possible.

The other alternative would have been for your friend to pay the cheque into his home bank account which would clear the cheque for him regardless of which bank or where the cheque was drawn. He wasn't tricked by the bank at all.

It is entirely legitimate to open a bank account on a tourist visa...

No that is not true, banks don't allow you to open accounts on tourist visa, OP has tried and proven to be the case, but you can get around it if you know bank managers.

No that is not true, banks don't allow you to open accounts on tourist visa, OP has tried and proven to be the case, but you can get around it if you know bank managers.

Complete hogwash! Personally opened 3 different accounts over the years, with 2 different banks with nothing more than a valid tourist visa. One of them is the main branch of Bangkok Bank in BKK. There are apparently branches who refuse. I suspect they just don't want to bother with foreigners and speaking english etc.... who knows.

Fact is however, there is neither a law nor a banking regulation on the books, prohibiting holders of tourist visas from opening a Thai bank account.

• Like 1

"It i snotpossible to open as a tourist. We finally had it done when asked a Thai friend on the island to vouche for him at a very small bank"

Bit of a contradiction there, it obviously was possible.

The other alternative would have been for your friend to pay the cheque into his home bank account which would clear the cheque for him regardless of which bank or where the cheque was drawn. He wasn't tricked by the bank at all.

Sorry, I meant it was not possible to open an account withut a thai who was vouching for him. And also only at this particular branch far away from most tourism on the island. As I said it was a very stupid situation and everything was extremly difficult because no one of the insurance company spoke english. Also we managed that bank account thing at the last day of the holiday.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

Many banks, particularly in tourist areas, do not open bank a/c's for people on tourist visas. One needs to keep trying. It is a numbers game.

Failing that he can cash the cheque in his home country. But bank fees will probably eat up a large portion of the cheque. I once received a cheque in Canadian dollars (I am British). I was able to deposit it in my UK bank a/c but it cost me about half of the cheque.

Complete hogwash! Personally opened 3 different accounts over the years, with 2 different banks with nothing more than a valid tourist visa. One of them is the main branch of Bangkok Bank in BKK. There are apparently branches who refuse. I suspect they just don't want to bother with foreigners and speaking english etc.... who knows.

Fact is however, there is neither a law nor a banking regulation on the books, prohibiting holders of tourist visas from opening a Thai bank account.

by banks regulation, you are suppose to have a valid local address, some banks requires work permits. So its up to the banks, the ones that let tourist slide do it to increase the number off accounts and savings open at their bank to look good for their branch as banks have quotas to reach too.

Seems like the OP should try Bangkok Bank.

Edited by mike324

A cash cheque can be issued, not requiring a bank account. Just identification of who the cheque is made payable to.

Insurance company were trying it on.

Don't expect things in Thailand to work the same as back home.

Anyway, 8k ain't that big a deal is it