Thailand invites international travellers to 'Discover Thainess' with year-round activities

webfact

"... and ‘the wai’ or the Thai greeting - a show of respect, as well as the friendly nature of the Thai people ..."

I had to think long and hard, the last time I was "wai'd" by any Thai was more than 12 months ago.

Don't know where you live, but either you don't go out or you are a very bad man :-)

Get them everyday up here in Issan.

It could well be both the things you mention ... but actually (I'm in Bangkok), I think it's more a reflection on how much Thai people change when they live and work in Bangkok. There's a very big difference in how foreigners are treated in the "tourist" areas and the more rural areas. This has been most noticeable in the past 5 years, prior to that it was very different.

Here in Rangsit, you dont see many people wai'ing to anyone. I wai and get wai'ed back to just as rarely as the locals.

Wasn't it Thainess that caused tourism number to drop off. Still can't get travel insurance whilst martial law is in force and doesn't this dimwit leader realise that?

How many times am I going to repeat myself?

YOU CAN GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!

Yes you can. The question is whether it will pay out in the event of a serious claim or whether the assessors will be looking for a get out as is the nature of insurers. It is an issue for people because it is a worry.

Why do I get the feeling that the N. Koreans have influenced Thai thinking...

They take people on planned trips with unrealistic scenarios of N. Korean life while the majority of the people live in ignorance and poverty...

Thailand presents people with pomp and ceremony while true Thainess is something the PM would never want tourists to see...

Year-round activities...hardly real...very artificial...

"... and ‘the wai’ or the Thai greeting - a show of respect, as well as the friendly nature of the Thai people ..."

I had to think long and hard, the last time I was "wai'd" by any Thai was more than 12 months ago.

Don't know where you live, but either you don't go out or you are a very bad man :-)

It could well be both the things you mention ... but actually (I'm in Bangkok), I think it's more a reflection on how much Thai people change when they live and work in Bangkok. There's a very big difference in how foreigners are treated in the "tourist" areas and the more rural areas. This has been most noticeable in the past 5 years, prior to that it was very different.

Here in Rangsit, you dont see many people wai'ing to anyone. I wai and get wai'ed back to just as rarely as the locals.

It depends on location somewhat from what I have seen, but there's been some pretty major social changes over the past decade, and more so in the last 5 years, and this is part of those changes.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I get them almost every day. You should leave the Pattaya go go bars once in a while and you'll get them too.

Every of the staff is wai-ing me when they come and when they go. I don't have wai- log book, but I recall the lady where I buy the wine in foodland wai me every time I buy something. The cashier does. One motorbike taxi which recognize me does whenever he sees me. Another ones wife who sell food (never bought something there) wai whenever I pass.

So there is a permanent wai-ing around me. Beside one old chinese freelance sales guy who always greet me with the Hitler greeting cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thainess for foreigners. Errrrrm, start with the Thais first, then filter it down to the tourists.

welcome to Thailand, and our unique Thai ness. First lesson. Dont trust ANYONE. !!!

We hate you all really, but we LOVE your money. and we WILL get our hands on it, one way or another.

And remember a crocodile smiles, just before it eats you.

I'm guessing you still CHOOSE to live here though? And don't trust ANYONE? Ok, I'll start with you and your comment.

• Like 1

I also live in Bangkok and get waied pretty much everyday and just asked a couple of friends who also get waied on a regular basis.... you're either exaggerating the issue or you have a mean face.... try changing your attitude or along with all the other moaners on here... find another country!

• Like 2

Just a thought but can I ask posters how many have seen travel shows on tv or read travel books or magazines that warn against the ripoffs and scams ?

No one has, because they don't exist. Nor the dangers of the roads.

Thais are very patient people. just don't get in front of one of them on the road, or they will zig zag all over the place at 130 KM an hour, putting lives in Danger, Just to get in front of you.

Do they also warn people that they will be charged 2 or 3 times what a Thai would pay, for Anything.

And of course the smile, its simple, and a very clever ploy. Smile, if they have something you want. If they don't get, watch the smile disappear.......FAST !!!

Mmmmm don't you just love Thai ness ???

• Like 1

"... and the wai or the Thai greeting - a show of respect, as well as the friendly nature of the Thai people ..."

I get them almost every day. You should leave the Pattaya go go bars once in a while and you'll get them too.

Thanks for the (incorrect) stereotype. If you'd scrolled down a little more you'd have seen the conversation continued. I live and work in Bangkok and haven't been to Pattaya for more than 6 years.

I also live in Bangkok and get waied pretty much everyday and just asked a couple of friends who also get waied on a regular basis.... you're either exaggerating the issue or you have a mean face.... try changing your attitude or along with all the other moaners on here... find another country!

Thank you, why didn't I think of that. Find another country, great Idea thank you so much...

"... and the wai or the Thai greeting - a show of respect, as well as the friendly nature of the Thai people ..."

I guess it must be my mean face then, I'll try to smile more often.

I've understood "Thainess" for years. All of it is in one way or another based on everything being done for show. External appearance is all that matters. The inner workings of anything are ignored.

"Thainess" ... A big glittering gold wrapped box with diamond encrusted ribbons... yet when you open the box....it's empty.

Excellent summary.

Wasn't it Thainess that caused tourism number to drop off. Still can't get travel insurance whilst martial law is in force and doesn't this dimwit leader realise that?

How many times am I going to repeat myself?

YOU CAN GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!

Yes you can. The question is whether it will pay out in the event of a serious claim or whether the assessors will be looking for a get out as is the nature of insurers. It is an issue for people because it is a worry.

You CAN get insurance yes. But once an Embassy warns agianst travel, the insurance becomes null and void.

I have experienced and lived the ever increasing "Thainess" for 20 years. Really not much I would advertise about. Certainly there are many exceptions and one should not generalize....Also a big factor, how deeply and in what ways you get involved in "Thainess". MS>

don't know wai you had to bring this up but just goes to show that folk up North are far more friendly than those down South

Thainess for foreigners. Errrrrm, start with the Thais first, then filter it down to the tourists.

welcome to Thailand, and our unique Thai ness. First lesson. Dont trust ANYONE. !!!

We hate you all really, but we LOVE your money. and we WILL get our hands on it, one way or another.

I'm guessing you still CHOOSE to live here though? And don't trust ANYONE? Ok, I'll start with you and your comment.

Thats good to hear, when I say anyone, I mean ANYONE. You guessed wrong. I left all the Thai ness behind after 9 years. I now live so happily, without the rip off's etc etc etc, in another wonderful Asian Country.

Thailand is a lovely country, its a shame really that its messed up with wonderful Thai ness.

• Like 1

Posters here never waste an opportunity to go Thai bashing. My own daily experience is nothing but respect and warm hearts from the locals. Ive said it before but for those who live here and dont like it then go back from where you came from. End of. No ifs or buts just go home.

Posters here never waste an opportunity to go Thai bashing. My own daily experience is nothing but respect and warm hearts from the locals. Ive said it before but for those who live here and dont like it then go back from where you came from. End of. No ifs or buts just go home.

I agree totally.

Sometimes I ask myself how can some members of TV be happy, in a country that they spend most of their time depreciating?

Must be that they have to inject their daily shot of venom to feel better the rest of the day. What a way to spend their retirement !

• Like 2

You've said it before, please don't say it again, it's pathetic. There is nothing wrong with not liking things about the place you choose to live, it doesn't mean you don't want to stay there. Even Adam wasn't completely happy in The Garden of Eden.

3 South Koreans abducted by 12 Thai police officers + 1 other South Korean

The Korean (the foreigner) involved in the abduction arrested=Thainess

The 12 from the RTP are under investigation, in other words nothing will happen!!=Extreme Thainess

And all that in Prayuts new non-corrupt Thailand!!

Another post by a bitter and twisted old expat, blaming his personal failures on Thailand!!

Have another drink of your acid laced coffee......................coffee1.gif

My comments come from personal experiences over 9 years. Nothing to do with failures, although I have to admit, a few friend's failures spring to mind. I am not bitter and Im not twisted. Thailand is a lovely country. But it has changed so much. Thai ness only exists in a minority of people now. It is now an expensive place to visit, Old residents, know the cheap places to go, sitting outside shops drinking and that type of thing, but tourists don't do that. Take some time asking tourist's what they think, I did, and 90% will tell you that they didn't think it was so expensive. And you will hear the rip off stories also. Its a real shame !!

• Like 1