Any CX-5 face lift introduced in Thailand this year?

one post Removed

Forum Rule - 26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

We have just ordered the new CX-5 (Diesel, AWD) from Mazda Petchaburi and will replace the «old» one.

Some weeks ago, we weren't interested, because we only expected a face lift. But the new (top) models got all these safety features and MZD, which I already love in the CX-3. We are waiting for a new 7-seater from Mazda. The next, still unknown CX-7 will come to Thailand in about 2 years.

We also got a good trade-in offer for old CX-5.

I test drove the "old" Mazda 2.2 diesel CX5 today very nice drive. Good performance, comfortable and good visibility.

They had a new 2.0 CX5 in the showroom and said the New 2.2 will be available for customer delivery in April.

They have new brochures available.

While the staff were very pleasant they didnt have much idea on the difference between the old and the new cars and i'm not familiar with the old CX5.

Here is what seemed to be the identified changes on the top of the range 2.2 XDL

Face lift of front grille and bumper

Better A/V information screen

Lane departure warning

Lane keep assist

Driver attention alert

Advanced Blind spot monitoring

Rear cross traffic alert

Seems comparatively a bit over priced to me. After discount it is still more expensive than the Honda CRV 2.4 and Nissan 2.5. They all have slightly different features but it adds up to roughly the same package.

My experience on discounting was also different. Honda won't discount but will throw in a spoiler, a bit of body trim and some mats, Nissan will throw in some bits, discount the package including insurance and 3 years maintenance but not by much. Mazda will discount but strip things out of the package ( like free insurance).

if you are a cash buyer Mazda also don't appear to include 3 years maintenance or registration. They told me the price is higher because of the Diesel engine and non CVT gearbox and I'd get my money back on fuel savings, but i think the 2.8 Diesel Toyota Fortuner is also slightly cheaper than the CX5 so its not much of an argument.

I probably wont be buying one but I quite like the car.

Don't know if a conventional auto is much more expensive than a CVT but the Diesel engine does add cost.

As stated, not a great argument for Mazda considering the X-Trail Hybrid and PPVs like the PJS and Everest.

The old CX-5 2.5 was good value compared to the X-Trail and CR-V but sadly Mazda have dropped it.

The CX-5 makes the PPVs feel like trucks and is more responsive to drive than the X-Trail and CR-V but the top model may not worth 100k more than the Nissan or Honda for many buyers. The 2WD Diesel is a better proposition for those prepared to go with out some gadgets. Missing out on 4WD on a cross over, lane departure and assist systems are not big issues in LOS IMO.

Edited by Jitar

The CX5 has priced itself out of consideration for me. If I'm getting an SUV I want 4x4. Where I live sandy roads and flooding are a consideration. The X Trail hybrid 4x4 is 280,000 THB cheaper (Nissan offer a 50K discount). As I cover about 20,000 Km per year and keep vehicles for 3-4 years I won't have made sufficient cost savings with e diesel versus a hybrid. Now if Ford can get their finger out and supply me with an Everest 4x4 I wouldn't be looking at crossover SUV's at all

Mazda is not (or no more) a cheap vehicle producer. The last years they have make big step forward in technology and styling.

It is remarkable, that Toyota will use Mazda's Skyactiv technology for their next cars.

Honda has a little bit lost his pace in term of technology. The CR-V is still a quite good car. I am very impressed also from the newest products Nissan, like the X-Trail or the Navara.

We are driving Mazda in Thailand since 2008 and we are a little bit addicted to this brand. The new CX-5 is not cheap. Especially the Diesel suffers from the new tax scheme. But it is such a powerful car and fun to drive. Just imagine, that you get (just) the power of a Toyota Fortuner but in a vertical with about 500 kilograms less curb weight...

We just got our new CX-5 Diesel AWD. I like the new safety features, which can help a lot in Thailand. The styling is not as «sharp» as the new CX-3 (I drive), but a good upgrade. The interior looks nicer and includes now Mazda's new connection technology.

The only thing I miss, are air vents for the second row (but the double zone air on is okay).

• 1 month later...

had a test drive with the face lifted CX5 2.0S 2WD in Pattaya, impressed with the handling an updated interior - but the engine seems to be little under powered for the weight of the car, at the moment the don't have a diesel for testing. Don't like the color options as the there is no pearl white and only boring colors to choose from

I am wondering if the 10 HP, double torque and 19" wheels a worth the 200k surcharge? Mazda don't offer any cash discount - sorry Mister "new model" and only give the common stuff as insurance, registration etc.

Anybody owns a updated version benzine or diesel - impressions?

After that i visited Nissan again and the X-Trail looked dated interior wise.....

I test drove the "old" Mazda 2.2 diesel CX5 today very nice drive. Good performance, comfortable and good visibility.

They had a new 2.0 CX5 in the showroom and said the New 2.2 will be available for customer delivery in April.

They have new brochures available.

While the staff were very pleasant they didnt have much idea on the difference between the old and the new cars and i'm not familiar with the old CX5.

Here is what seemed to be the identified changes on the top of the range 2.2 XDL

Face lift of front grille and bumper

Better A/V information screen

Lane departure warning

Lane keep assist

Driver attention alert

Advanced Blind spot monitoring

Rear cross traffic alert

Seems comparatively a bit over priced to me. After discount it is still more expensive than the Honda CRV 2.4 and Nissan 2.5. They all have slightly different features but it adds up to roughly the same package.

My experience on discounting was also different. Honda won't discount but will throw in a spoiler, a bit of body trim and some mats, Nissan will throw in some bits, discount the package including insurance and 3 years maintenance but not by much. Mazda will discount but strip things out of the package ( like free insurance).

if you are a cash buyer Mazda also don't appear to include 3 years maintenance or registration. They told me the price is higher because of the Diesel engine and non CVT gearbox and I'd get my money back on fuel savings, but i think the 2.8 Diesel Toyota Fortuner is also slightly cheaper than the CX5 so its not much of an argument.

I probably wont be buying one but I quite like the car.

The SUVs you compare don't all equal out in the end. The CX5's iActivesense safety package is way more comprehensive than anything found on the CRV or X-Trail (and I won't even mention the truck based SUVs). In fact, if memory serves, the only similar safety kit the Nissan and Honda have is the blind-spot awareness alert.

For top spec CX5s, the safety package includes:

Adaptive LED Headlights

Lane Departure Warning,

Smart City Brake Support,

Blind Spot Monitoring,

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

Emergency Brake Signal System.

Plus all the usual driving assistance tech and a full suite of airbags.

The adaptive LEDs alone put the CX5 in a class of its own in this price range and that feature alone militates highly in favor of the Mazda. And that's not even mentioning that reviewers have almost universally praised the CX5s ride, handling, and overall refinement.

We have just ordered the new CX-5 (Diesel, AWD) from Mazda Petchaburi and will replace the «old» one.

Some weeks ago, we weren't interested, because we only expected a face lift. But the new (top) models got all these safety features and MZD, which I already love in the CX-3. We are waiting for a new 7-seater from Mazda. The next, still unknown CX-7 will come to Thailand in about 2 years.

We also got a good trade-in offer for old CX-5.

Can you in fact confirm that the top spec diesel does come with adaptive LED headlights? There seems to be a discrepancy between the specs listed on Mazda's website and the CX5 brochure. The website lists adaptive bi-xeon headlights while the brochure talks about adaptive LEDs. It could be the website hasn't been updated yet with this spec change.

had a test drive with the face lifted CX5 2.0S 2WD in Pattaya, impressed with the handling an updated interior - but the engine seems to be little under powered for the weight of the car, at the moment the don't have a diesel for testing. Don't like the color options as the there is no pearl white and only boring colors to choose from

I am wondering if the 10 HP, double torque and 19" wheels a worth the 200k surcharge? Mazda don't offer any cash discount - sorry Mister "new model" and only give the common stuff as insurance, registration etc.

Anybody owns a updated version benzine or diesel - impressions?

After that i visited Nissan again and the X-Trail looked dated interior wise.....

From what I have learned from the online reviews, the 2.0 petrol is under-powered and the 2.2 diesel is the way to go. (The no longer offered 2.5 was the petrol engine to go for). The reviewers also say the CX5 diesel comes with a particle filter in the exhaust system as well, so driving at highway speeds for a couple hours at least once a month is recommended to clean (burn off) the filter.

I too am seriously considering the top-spec diesel. It's appears to be the best in its class in Thailand at the moment...even better than the new X1.

Apart from all the bleeping gadgets the real difference is in the driving.. The CX-5 is far superior to the Honda, lets not even mention the PPV's :(

We had the 2.4 CRV for three years and have had the 2.5 2WD CX-5 for almost two now. It's so much better damped. steering has more feel and it turns in well. Brakes, acceleration and front legroom are all better.. Interior quality is closer to European cars than the CRV which is more like a hard plasticky US interior.. I haven't checked out the new facelifted interior but it sounds even better.. Just a shame they dropped the 2.5. Not everybody wants a 2 litre motor and TBH I often think a larger capacity has to work less hard so can be more economical if driven well. Shame none of them offer a manual box though :(

The Diesel engine makes the difference - not the power, but the torque. The CX-5 Diesel has about the power of a Toyota Fortuner, but is about half a (metric) ton lighter. You should really try it...!

The CX-5 is underpowered with the 2 litre gasoline engine. Similar as the CR-V or X-Trail with this engine size and power.