Can you identify this fruit ?

pulnamin4

I picked up this fruit this afternoon in a park in Isaan. It s roundish 5-6 cm X 5-6 cm, green pigmented.. When it is detached from the tree a liquid similar to milk comes out.. I have been told that maybe in Thai it is pronunced something like << twaa --- thaw >>.

Apparently it s from China and the legend says that it was given by an ANGEL for doing good deeds.

Anyone knows the correct English and Thai names of this fruit.. If you know the Thai name please provide the correct spelling-Thai script.

Thanks to all... Much appreciated.

post-180718-0-45653400-1421327701_thumb.

post-180718-0-62835700-1421327722_thumb.

DEFINATELY NOT A PASSION FRUIT... I eat passion fruit daily. Eggplant no....

This morning as suggested i cut it open. I could not cut it with a steak knife i had to use a cleaver to slice it.

It s very HARD ( probably not ripe ) the inside is very grainy..

Thanks to all,,,

post-180718-0-52804400-1421464258_thumb.

post-180718-0-92633400-1421464289_thumb.

This morning as suggested i cut it open. I could not cut it with a steak knife i had to use a cleaver to slice it.

Thanks to all,,,

That helps! No, it doesn't look like passion fruit, If it was really hard to get through, it may be some type of eggplant. Did it come off a tree or a vine-like plant? I have heard that there are more than 50 types of eggplants here. It may be very hard because it's young not ready to eat yet, whatever it is.

A couple of pics in the internet that look plausible.

Unfortunately I can not find one with the fruit cut open.

Would mean that is very poisonous! (suicide tree).

A pic from here:

http://www.qsbg.org/Database/plantdb/lcd/living-specimen.asp?id=2107

Click to see:

http://www.qsbg.org/Database/Botanic_Book%20full%20option/Picture/jackth/00674.jpg

"Pong Pong":

http://www.the-than.com/FLower/Fl-1/114/114.html

Thanks to all,,,

I think it may be a fruit known in Lao language as mak nam nom (i.e. the milk fruit). I don't know the Thai or common name, but you might like to check with your gf/wife is she knows it. It is edible when it is darker (almost black) and riper than the fruit in your photo. It used to be quite common in villages in southern Laos and provinces bordering the Mekong in Isan.

Thanks to all,,,

I think it may be a fruit known in Lao language as mak nam nom (i.e. the milk fruit). I don't know the Thai or common name, but you might like to check with your gf/wife is she knows it. It is edible when it is darker (almost black) and riper than the fruit in your photo. It used to be quite common in villages in southern Laos and provinces bordering the Mekong in Isan.

Just did some checking and found that mak nam nom is commonly known as star fruit (Chrysopyhllum cainito). Not sure if this is what you found, in a pre-ripe state, but more detail here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysophyllum_cainito

Go back in a few weeks to see if they've ripened up and report back....

At the risk of extending this thread beyond it's natural life - I also confirm that it is passion fruit.

Thai Language.com has it as... sao wa roht

Just talking to my wife, it's called Sau wa Rot. A big problem in different pronunciation might be that many Thai words that are written in Roman letters, are actually using a German sound.

A good example might be the word "Technologie" which is a 100 % German word, with the German pronunciation. An old German saying:

"Too many cooks ruin the mash.". But also English is a so called " word borrowing language", but they never give these words back. -facepalm.gif

Please see attached photos

post-158336-0-75704100-1421505966_thumb.

post-158336-0-58650400-1421506034_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

At the risk of extending this thread beyond it's natural life - I also confirm that it is passion fruit.

Thai Language.com has it as... sao wa roht

Just talking to my wife, it's called Sau wa Rot. A big problem in different pronunciation might be that many Thai words that are written in Roman letters, are actually using a German sound.

A good example might be the word "Technologie" which is a 100 % German word, with the German pronunciation. An old German saying:

"Too many cooks ruin the mash.". But also English is a so called " word borrowing language", but they never give these words back. -facepalm.gif

Please see attached photos

The fruit's healthy content was unknown until around nine years ago, regarding my wife. Nobody ate passion fruits before, which seems to be really strange at first sight.

But considering the variety of so many different fruits that are available, it's unbelievable. I think I will never ever remember all their English words. It happened too many times that I couldn't name a fruit in English, just because I had never ever seen one before or heard about it.

I'm happy to have easy access to such a healthy and also tasty fruit.

P.S. The two first photos were just made by my wife an hour ago.

Edited by lostinisaan

Checked with the girlfriend who says its a Ma kok nam.

In this area its fairly common( Prachinburi.) in English its a Ambarella or latin Spondias dulcis

I'm going with this one. Looked at some images and this is the most likely so far. I was thinking jujube at one point, but I'm pretty sure they're smaller.

ตีนเป็ด Tin pet, duck,s foot, lat. Cerbera Odollam. As pbhansen said.

POISONOUS!

GOOD DAY ..

After getting fresh pics this morning and comparing to Wiki i agree this is

Cerbera odollam

i found this fruit in a public park.. amazing no !!!!!

Thanks all Really appreciated.. When i get a fruit i ll slice in half and exposite to air to photograph the colour changes.

Pics

post-180718-0-51394500-1421650756_thumb.

post-180718-0-95672200-1421650777_thumb.

post-180718-0-11201300-1421650796_thumb.

post-180718-0-74915500-1421650811_thumb.