Entry point for Schnegen Visa holder

My girlfriend got the attached visa today from the German Embassy.

Can she use it to enter any of the Schengen states (using a flight from Bangkok), or must she enter Germany first?

post-14526-0-87618700-1421328789_thumb.j

Edited by ~G~

from Shengen Visa site:

If I am travelling to more than one Schengen country, at which embassy do I apply for a Schengen Visa?

If the applicant is planning to visit two or more Schengen countries, it is highly recommended to be applying for the visa in the embassy/consulate of the country you will be residing in for most of the traveling days, referred to as the main destination.

No you don't have to. The guidelines state you should apply in the Embassy of the country you will be staying at the most. I believe it is only a guideline and not mandatory although I have never tried it.

Den

How long is the proposed stay? Since the visa validity starts today and only 22 days stay are allowed, I presume that if the visa holder were to enter on say the 7th of Feb, she would have to leave by the 8th?

I'd say get your flights booked and get on over there ASAP, otherwise the visa will become invalid.

Did you check the FAQ near the top of the forum page?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/

Where can I travel with a Schengen Visa?
You can travel throughout the entire Schengen area. This means that you can enter, move through and leave the Schengen area via all member states. However you must apply at the embassy of the country that is your main destination. If there is no clear main destination you should apply at the embassy of the Schengen country that you will enter first.

As said you may enter or exit through any Schengen member state if it's plausible that you are heading onwards to your main destination. It's perfectly okay to fly in and out of the Schengen area via a neighbouring country of this is more practical or cheaper. You should be well prepared though and are adviced to carry a copy of all the documents you used in your application so you may show them to the border guard if they wish to verify you meet the requirements. A Schengen visa doesn't give automatic right of entry!

So yes you can enter via Schiphol (NL) on a German issued visa.

No you don't have to. The guidelines state you should apply in the Embassy of the country you will be staying at the most. I believe it is only a guideline and not mandatory although I have never tried it.

Some Consulates interpret this rule quite rigorously, for instance my partner was entering Schengen via Paris, was spending time there before travelling to the UK. She was spending a few days in the UK before taking a side trip to Italy.

Back to the UK before travelling to Belgium, The Netherlands and back to Paris, some more time there before returning to Bangkok.

As she was entering and leaving Schengen via Paris, and spending almost an equal time on French soil as Italian, she applied for her visa via the French Consulate. The French calculated that that she was spending a few hours longer on Italian soil than French and refused to process the application.

They refused to return her fee and her supporting documents, despite this being against the rules laid out in the Schengen Handbook. They refused to discuss my partners complaint, and whilst they did return the fee and the documents following a complaint to SOLVIT, they refused to admit they were wrong.

In essence, not all Consulates abide by the rules and fail to apply common sense.

• Like 1

How long is the proposed stay? Since the visa validity starts today and only 22 days stay are allowed, I presume that if the visa holder were to enter on say the 7th of Feb, she would have to leave by the 8th?

I'd say get your flights booked and get on over there ASAP, otherwise the visa will become invalid.

Complete nonsense. The length of stay 22 days starts from the day you enter. You have to enter before the validity runs out that's all.

Den

Complete nonsense. The length of stay 22 days starts from the day you enter. You have to enter before the validity runs out that's all.

Den

Wrong!!

You have to LEAVE before the validity date on the visa runs out .

So the OP's girl has to leave the Schengen area on the 8th of February, leaving later will be considered an overstay. So the later she departs the less time she can spent in Germany!

The validity date ("valid from... until..." ) is the timeframe in which a visa is valid and thus in which you can use the visa.

Generally with single entry visas the validity if the visa 15 days longer then the amount of days granted: a 30 day visa would could start on January 1st and expire on February 14-15th. Given you a 2 week window of flexibility. However you cannot stay longer then the number of days granted to you.

A multiple entry visum (MEV) is generally valid for 6 months to 5 years. It can only be issued between the mentioned days. Here too the number of days granted is the absolute maximum you can stay but you are never allowed to day past the visa's expiration date. Generally a MEV has 90 as the number of days allowed, meaning a maximum of 90 days (one can stay 90 days within a 180 day window).

Edit: related to this, this is also why you cannot to border runs with a Schengen visa. First of all because the maximum stay is always 90 days per 180 days (or less of the visa sticker states so) and secondly because you can not "(re-)activate" a visa. It's simply valid from a certain date until a certain date. Outside that time frame a visa is simply not valid at all, any stay outside the mentioned dates will be illegal.

Edited by Donutz

We plan to spend time mostly in Essen and Amsterdam. Perhaps in Cologne as well. Will probably choose Dusseldorf as the entry point, don't want to take chances. Amsterdam was considered due to the availability of direct flights, as she will fly alone.

Just chose the ticket most convenient for you (easiest way to travel, good price etc.). Any airport will do as long as it's plausible that her main stay will be in Germany. Landing in Amsterdam Schiphol is a very logical option, especially if you leave in the west of Germany, as the German border is about a 1-1,5 hour drive away. But if Düsseldorf is easier and/or cheaper, head there. Or enter via Düsseldorf and depart from Amsterdam. All perfectly fine. Now if you would buy a ticket to Athens you'd have a lot more explaining on your hand...

Hope she can fly soon, there isn't much time left to tour and she must leave the Schengen area on the 8th of February, this will be a very short holiday for her!

Edit: so she could enter via Amsterdam, spent 3-4 days there with you and then spent the rest of her time visiting Köln and Düsseldorf, departing from Düsseldorf on February 8th. The main chunk of her stay would still be in Germany and thus in line with her visa application. :)

Edited by Donutz

And a final tip: if you are really worried (is this her first trip?), be at the airport that she will arrive at. If you have eachother's mobile numbers even better. In the unlikely chanche that the borderguards have any questions they can contact you to confirm her story. Though bringing a copy of the paperwork she used for her application at the embassy should be enough.

The borderguards are only concerned if she meets all the visa criteria, they do ask questions often (in my experience) but if they do it will be to confirm that she is financially solvable (or has a guarantor, you) , so some cash or debet/credit cards are smart to have on you. And that the purpose of her visit is genuine and correct (in this case: going to spent a holiday with her German bf in mostly Germany and partially in Netherlands, a few days in Amsterdam with you is perfectly fine).

Den

Wrong!!

You have to LEAVE before the validity date on the visa runs out .

So the OP's girl has to leave the Schengen area on the 8th of February, leaving later will be considered an overstay. So the later she departs the less time she can spent in Germany!

The validity date ("valid from... until..." ) is the timeframe in which a visa is valid and thus in which you can use the visa.

Generally with single entry visas the validity if the visa 15 days longer then the amount of days granted: a 30 day visa would could start on January 1st and expire on February 14-15th. Given you a 2 week window of flexibility. However you cannot stay longer then the number of days granted to you.

A multiple entry visum (MEV) is generally valid for 6 months to 5 years. It can only be issued between the mentioned days. Here too the number of days granted is the absolute maximum you can stay but you are never allowed to day past the visa's expiration date. Generally a MEV has 90 as the number of days allowed, meaning a maximum of 90 days (one can stay 90 days within a 180 day window).

Edit: related to this, this is also why you cannot to border runs with a Schengen visa. First of all because the maximum stay is always 90 days per 180 days (or less of the visa sticker states so) and secondly because you can not "(re-)activate" a visa. It's simply valid from a certain date until a certain date. Outside that time frame a visa is simply not valid at all, any stay outside the mentioned dates will be illegal.

I stand corrected my apologies.

Den

• Like 1

And a final tip: if you are really worried (is this her first trip?), be at the airport that she will arrive at. If you have eachother's mobile numbers even better. In the unlikely chanche that the borderguards have any questions they can contact you to confirm her story. Though bringing a copy of the paperwork she used for her application at the embassy should be enough.

The borderguards are only concerned if she meets all the visa criteria, they do ask questions often (in my experience) but if they do it will be to confirm that she is financially solvable (or has a guarantor, you) , so some cash or debet/credit cards are smart to have on you. And that the purpose of her visit is genuine and correct (in this case: going to spent a holiday with her German bf in mostly Germany and partially in Netherlands, a few days in Amsterdam with you is perfectly fine).

Thanks for the tips. I will be at the airport to meet her. It is her first trip abroad.

I am not German by the way. But yes, me being her guarantor, with the various evidence regarding our relationship and my background / financial status, were indeed a central part of the visa application, so I assume this point is indeed one they may ask about.