Govt wants Phuket to be marine hub for Asean

webfact

Govt wants Phuket to be marine hub for Asean
Nattha Thepbamrung

1421320472_1-org.jpg
Phuket Deep Sea Port, as seen from the deck of a cruise ship. Photo Giancanu

PHUKET: -- Governor Nisit Jansomwong, yesterday (January 14) expressed his confidence in a plan laid out by the government, which could see Phuket become the marina hub for yachts and cruise ships in the Asean region.

His comments came after a government meeting on Tuesday (January 13), at which Air Chief Marshall Prajin Janthong, Minister of Transport, announced the plan.

The governor said, “Phuket has potential for international marine transportation. We have marinas, a deep sea port, things that are rarely seen in the other provinces. We also have popular marine tourism.

“During the New Year, more than 300 trips a day were made on boats, with 10,000–15,000 tourists.”

“I think Phuket has the largest number of people with registered private yachts in Thailand.

“We have the facilities to support the plan, such as proper boat yards, different types and styles of big and small hotels across the island, entertainment venues, and interesting activities that yacht and cruise ship passengers can enjoy during their stay.

“The plan sets out a vision of Phuket becoming the main port of call between Singapore and Myanmar for cruise ships, with the deep sea port being adjusted and extended to be able to support the increasing number of ships.”

The minister said he expects Phuket to be ready at the end of this year but the governor admitted that there are some problems that authorities have to discuss and resolve before the plan becomes reality.

“There are two factors that we have to deal with.

“First, concessions from the Treasury Office [for marinas] are for one year only, but the investment can be hundreds of millions of baht, and marina projects take years to build. Because of this, investors are reluctant to jump in.

“I think officers from the Treasury Office will have to discuss this point to find a solution, as the plan has already been approved by the government.”

“Second, around 85 cruise ships visit Phuket a year from around the world, especially Singapore.

“There is a problem that cargo ships cannot moor until the cruise ships leave the quay [and vice-versa], which leads to delays. So the deep sea port must be expanded.”

He accepted that expanding the quay at the deep sea port will affect the environment, but believes that after the EIA for the project is approved, the construction company will do as little damage to the environment as possible.

“I cannot say whether Phuket is ready to be a major hub for yachts and cruise ships or not, but all sectors must help to build a system to support the development,” he said.

Plans were laid several years ago to lengthen the quay and add facilities for cruise line passengers, such as a duty free store, restaurants, shops, toilets, and an Immigration, Customs and Quarantine area.

But expansion of the port has proved troublesome, with the EIA submitted in 2011 being rejected.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/govt-wants-phuket-to-be-marine-hub-for-asean-50570.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-16

Have they forgotten that Singapore is in the ASEAN region. That is and will always be the local hub for cruise ships.

If they are merely stating that Phuket could be a major port then they seriously need to consider an alternative to the deep sea port, which is hardly an advertisement for the best of Phuket, though maybe the scruffy surroundings and the hassling tuktuk drivers could be the passengers' first glimpse of "Thainess".

• Like 1

“I think Phuket has the largest number of people with registered private yachts in Thailand."

Duh! not difficult as the only other real alternative in Thailand is Pattaya with only one marina.

Why would yachties want to come to Phuket with their bureaucracy, AIS requirements etc.. while marinas such as Langkawi are much more flexible?

What about Indonesia? They are really going to attract yachties with their yacht permits from one year to six months

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/11/11/govt-eases-yacht-permits-marine-tourism-boost.html

The main requirements for yachties is not facilities but ease of bureaucratic requirements. At the moment Thailand is a bureaucratic nightmare.

• Like 2

Looking at the map of ASEAN countries, I don't see Phuket as the single marine hub for ASEAN countries.

Maybe each country can have a designated marine hub. But Phuket seems particularly removed from any central marine activity. Somewhere in the area of Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia, and Vietnam (red square area) a marine hub would seem more practical. The Thai government seems to behave like a bully with its ASEAN neighbors, wanting to be the Hub of everything with little regard for its ASEAN neighbors.

post-171049-0-84764600-1421428488_thumb.

The thought is good but I doubt the political will power is there. The urge to try to squeeze foreigners of every penny and treat them as unwanted aliens, still prevails. Langkawi is a much better alternative. Not necessarily because it is a more scenic and interesting place, but because it's in Malaysia, a country who treats it's visitors with dignity and respect, unlike Thailand. Hey, a foreigner can even own land there.

He thinks Phuket has the largest number of registered yachts in Thailand.

Whole lot of thinking based on wants without checking the facts.

What facts are those hans? I would have thought there are more yachts based in Phuket than the reat of the country combined.

He thinks Phuket has the largest number of registered yachts in Thailand.

Whole lot of thinking based on wants without checking the facts.

What facts are those hans? I would have thought there are more yachts based in Phuket than the reat of the country combined.
He could easily check government records and not base his statement off a thought, but facts. Makes you look less unprofessional. Edited by hansgruber

Or just declare that they are more yachts in Pukhet everybody knows that. The only other main marina is Ocean Marina Yacht Club Jomtien Pattaya which is obviously less than the 4 marina in Phuket. Unless there is a marina in Chiang Mai of which I am not aware.

Or just declare that they are more yachts in Pukhet everybody knows that. The only other main marina is Ocean Marina Yacht Club Jomtien Pattaya which is obviously less than the 4 marina in Phuket. Unless there is a marina in Chiang Mai of which I am not aware.

Yes of course but he says he thinks Phuket has more registered yachts.

Why not just get the facts and state that Phuket is yacht capital of Thailand?

Probably a poor choice of words on his part but if your going to make a case for more development, get the facts.