Bali nine pair to be executed together if Chan loses appeal

webfact

Bali nine pair to be executed together if Chan loses appeal
Jewel Topsfield
Fairfax foreign correspondent

SYDNEY: -- The Bali Nine members on death row will be executed together if Andrew Chan loses his clemency appeal.

At a press conference announcing six drug felons would be executed on January 18, Indonesian Attorney-General H.M. Prasetyo said the government was waiting on the outcome of Chan's clemency appeal before executing Myuran Sukumuran.

Although no Australians are in the first group of convicts on death row to be executed on January 18, Mr Prasetyo warned the second batch of executions would also prioritise those sentenced to death for drug offences.

This means Sukumuran and Chan could face the firing squad within months if Chan loses his appeal.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/bali-nine-pair-to-be-executed-together-if-chan-loses-appeal-20150116-12rlp5.html

smh.jpg
-- Sydney Morning Herald 2015-01-16

• Like 1

Six drug convicts to be executed Sunday: Indonesia’s attorney general

16-1-2558-10-04-43-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Jakarta Globe reported that Indonesia’s attorney general announced on Thursday that the country would execute six convicted drug traffickers on Sunday, five of whom are foreign citizens.

Attorney General M Prasetyo said in a televised press conference on Thursday that the execution of five people will be carried out on Sunday, Jan 18, in Nusa Kambangan and one other in Boyolali, Central Java.

The executions would take place at the same time.

The convicts who are foreign citizens have been allowed full access to their country’s consular services, Prasteyo said, adding that representatives from their respective embassies had come to Nusa Kambangan and Cilacap to visit them.

According to the Attorney General Office’s data, there are currently 136 inmates on death row. Of them, 64 were sentenced for drug trafficking, two for terrorism and the rest for murder or aggravated robbery.

The death penalty in Indonesia is carried out by firing squad. Joko Widodo disappointed death-penalty campaigners in December when he said he would not offer clemency to convicted drug traffickers.

Indonesia resumed the execution of death row inmates in 2013, under President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/six-drug-convicts-executed-sunday-indonesias-attorney-general

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-16

Good riddance to anyone caught up in the drug game, they knew what they were getting into and all that. I won't shed a tear.

Indonesia is a dung hole. I rather be shot than spend an eternity banged up in that filthy hell hole of a country.

• Like 2

No names are mentioned. One of these people I might have known when I was still living in the Netherlands, he was sentenced to death in Indonesia a number of years ago because of production of ecstasy. No ecstasy or precursors were found in the small chemical factory where he was working, but he had been googling the production process. In no western country this would have sufficed for a conviction.

• Like 2

No names are mentioned. One of these people I might have known when I was still living in the Netherlands, he was sentenced to death in Indonesia a number of years ago because of production of ecstasy. No ecstasy or precursors were found in the small chemical factory where he was working, but he had been googling the production process. In no western country this would have sufficed for a conviction.

But if you are Indonesian and Google from inside the US or even in Europe on how to make a bomb you might end up in jail too on terrorism charges.

Kudos to Indonesia for getting rid of the drug traffickers and hopefully Thailand too will give mandatory death sentence on any convicted drug trafficker be they Thai or Foreigners.

• Like 2

All drugs should be made legal and normally taxed as any other product..

What is the difference between cocaine sigarettes whiskey and weed? in my opinion there is none ...

Let say there is a new type of food it taste good but it destroys your lungs and will give you cancer after u eat this product for 10-15 years..Do you think this new food product would be allowed to sell in the supermarkets? of course not it would get banned right away..So why do sigarettes not get banned then ?och i see governement just tax it ..So then how about to tax and legalise all the drugs...?

War on drugs is a complete joke.

A country killing executing their drug smugglers is an inhuman country..

Any guys here cheering about drug smuglers put to death you are disgusting !

• Like 2

What is the difference between cocaine sigarettes whiskey and weed? in my opinion there is none ...

Let say there is a new type of food it taste good but it destroys your lungs and will give you cancer after u eat this product for 10-15 years..Do you think this new food product would be allowed to sell in the supermarkets? of course not it would get banned right away..So why do sigarettes not get banned then ?och i see governement just tax it ..So then how about to tax and legalise all the drugs...?

If you don't know the difference between hard drugs and whisky and cigarettes, you are already on the wrong stuff.

Saw a show last night on a 18yo kid who was on crack and had to steal from his mum and dad to feed his habit. Others rob houses and old pensioners to support their habit. But not many take this route when they smoke cigarettes and have a drink.

As for death to these 2 when the time comes, I have no sympathy for them, they were in fact smuggling drugs out of Bali to take and distribute to adults and kids in Australia. 2 top guys, that will quiver in fear when they pay the ultimate price for destroying other lives.

• Like 1

If you don't know the difference between hard drugs and whisky and cigarettes, you are already on the wrong stuff.

Saw a show last night on a 18yo kid who was on crack and had to steal from his mum and dad to feed his habit. Others rob houses and old pensioners to support their habit. But not many take this route when they smoke cigarettes and have a drink.

As for death to these 2 when the time comes, I have no sympathy for them, they were in fact smuggling drugs out of Bali to take and distribute to adults and kids in Australia. 2 top guys, that will quiver in fear when they pay the ultimate price for destroying other lives.

There is not any real difference...

Drink one bottle of your whiskey or snif one gram of cocaine? it both not good for your health...

So u think that alcohol is not a hard drug and does not cause any problems ? :)

Alcohol gets taxed and cocaine not yet is the only difference..

most of you are probably drinkers ,smokers and or taking tranquilizers so then you too are drug users.

Cheering for a drug smuggler getting executed its sick and hypocrite some of these so called smugglers probably even innocent !

• Like 1

I will give you the address for one of my mates so you can give him this info. His daughter was stealing from their home thousands of dollars in cash and household items, was in jail many times for drugs and stealing, assault on a police officer, possession of stolen property and abandoned a child less than 2 weeks old to run off and do drugs. She is now doing a 15 year prison sentence not for drugs.......for possession of stolen property and assault on a policeman. She is less than 20 years old. So sure your points are well taken but just not valid.

• Like 1

I will give you the address for one of my mates so you can give him this info. His daughter was stealing from their home thousands of dollars in cash and household items, was in jail many times for drugs and stealing, assault on a police officer, possession of stolen property and abandoned a child less than 2 weeks old to run off and do drugs. She is now doing a 15 year prison sentence not for drugs.......for possession of stolen property and assault on a policeman. She is less than 20 years old. So sure your points are well taken but just not valid.

15 years in Jail and are you cheering about that too ? illegal drugs are too expensive ,if you make alcohol illegal and the price goes up with a 1000 % then some of those drinkers going to steal also in order to obtain their daily booze..

• Like 1

For those that want to deal in drugs, this may change your mind. The deaths are not clean deaths all the time. But for those that want to take the risk in a country that states, that you will be sentenced to death for importing or exporting drugs, read the link below to what happens with the firing squad.

Indonesia will put to death six drug convicts after midnight, in a grim fate that awaits Bali Nine masterminds Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/26024271/chilling-execution-awaits-bali-nine-masterminds/

Kill terrorists, but deal with drug dealers on individual basis. Most deserve no more than counseling.

Kudos to Indonesia for not giving a damn about politcal correctness. The place drug traffickers deserve is 6 feet below the ground. Millions of lives are destroyed because of hard drugs.

Yet many more are killed by alcohol and pharma drugs. Would you recommend the same for alcohol drink sellers and pharmacists/doctors?

Didn't think so.

Drugs are bad, but each case should be looked at individually - to gauge what harm (or potential harm) it's doing. Users should not be lumped together with dealers. Some drugs, like pot are benign and lead to laziness and spacing out (is that a crime?). Others are indeed harmful - particularly the weird shit that's being sold/used in parts of southern Russia.

Pity Australia can't export more evil criminals and have the same result applied, would certainly save hundreds of millions of dollars in yearly upkeep on people that don't deserve another minute on this planet.

Tough luck for the drug mules but they all knew what they were gambling with.