How do you avoid Pickpockets?

NoshowJones

Not aware of anyone ever trying it.

Could be a case of 'spoke too soon' but I always imagined it would be hard to pickpocket me as I have enough trouble getting my wallet out my own (too tight) pockets never mind anyone else doing it without me noticing whilst I'm on the move (I guess I'd be on the move as I don't tend to stand about in the street very often and walk quickly always even when not in a hurry).

I didn't even know it was common in Thailand. I haven't heard of it happening to anyone I know or heard any stories of it as far as I can remember.

Generally not something I'm concerned about. Would never keep my valuables in back pockets and I'm cautious enough in busy places to be mindful and keep my hands close to my pockets (if sober enough anyway).

• Like 1

Not aware of anyone ever trying it.

Could be a case of 'spoke too soon' but I always imagined it would be hard to pickpocket me as I have enough trouble getting my wallet out my own (too tight) pockets never mind anyone else doing it without me noticing whilst I'm on the move (I guess I'd be on the move as I don't tend to stand about in the street very often and walk quickly always even when not in a hurry).

I didn't even know it was common in Thailand. I haven't heard of it happening to anyone I know or heard any stories of it as far as I can remember.

Generally not something I'm concerned about. Would never keep my valuables in back pockets and I'm cautious enough in busy places to be mindful and keep my hands close to my pockets (if sober enough anyway).

They don't pull it out the top. They cut the bottom of the pocket in the case of tight pockets.

• Like 1

i don't have money...sad.png

my wife does...

It seems to be fashionable for men to carry handbags as well as women as they are much safer.

Man bags are not fashionable unless you have the man boobs to go with them!

If you say so.

You can buy wallets that have a "friction finish" to them rather than the usual smooth leather finish. They don't slide very easily out of the pocket.

I'm not a connoisseur, but I don't think the pickpockets in Thailand quite measure up to what you might encounter on the streets of, say, Madrid or Rome. (Not sure anyone's safe from the professionals there, no matter what the anti-pp defense...) I also don't think that in Thailand a pickpocket represents, generally, much threat of violence. They simply steel what they can if they can when they can, and skulk away. If they end up with a wallet full of paper, I don't really think you have to fear them coming back at you for "revenge". So all that being the case, situational & spatial awareness is the best defense. Plus, try not to carry around with you on the street, in your wallet or otherwise, anything you can't afford to lose.

I had an inside pocket sewn in my pants the same size as my passport ,

its on the left side and I normally put my 500s-1000 baht notes there , ATM card and ID

any of the ladies with sewing machines on the street can do it for around 50 baht

a few days ago I saw 3 ladyboys swarm a Japanese tourist on Sukhumvit trying to pick his pockets ,

I yelled something and pulled out my cell phone and pretended to take a picture of them and they ran off

• Like 1

Not to worry you unnecessarily but the fine art of pickpocketing has now been reduced to a sharp blow over the head with a blunt instrument.

Seems like the kids don't want to learn a proper trade anymore. I blame it on smartphones.

Your first sentence, surely not where there are people around, I have never heard of anyone who is not drunk and minding their own business being hit in a busy street with a blunt instrument.

Go to duckduckgo dot com and look up the names of Chris Channon on Koh Lipe and American Jonathan Mark Lemley, 28,on Phuket, who was found in a coma on Karon beach. Possum1931, the youth of today do not waste time on exchanging pleasantries with you before mugging you. They can and also do just plunge a knife into you first then snatch or kick you off your motorbike while you are ridding it, then snatch your stash. Be careful out there.

I searched on chris channon and he's that famous american guy who was kidnapped along with his gf by 5 black american guys and tortured. I decided to search chris channon again this time putting in koh lipe and found out it's a 50 yr old canadian. Amazing that people with that name and last name end up as victims of serious crime.

I always carry my wallet in the back pocket.

I was fed up, women pinching my bum, so I decided to put it there as an obstacle.

but they are clever these women.

They started pinching me on the other side.

Ahhhhhhh........why am I soooooooo hansum?

Its that 1000 baht bill slapped to your forehead that makes us so hansum

my wife does...

It seems to be fashionable for men to carry handbags as well as women as they are much safer.

Oh please, nothing easier to steal than a bag.

I am talking about pickpocketing here, not stealing bags, but either way nothing is 100% safe, and a moneybelt is safest IMO.

I have a passport holder that has a belt on it and I secure it on my beltloop and then keep it in front zippered pocket, cargo pants style, never lost anything , going around the world last 10 years, u can see the belt rope thing going from beltloop to pocket...

Isn't this a bit OTT?

"I always keep my money, never more than about 2000 Baht, down my sock. I also carry an old wallet stuffed with paper in my front pocket as a decoy"

I don't make any special effort to avoid pick pockets in Thailand. I don't think it that much of a concern, or maybe i just hang out in safer areas. I think i was pick-pocketed in Vietnam. Lesson learnt. Don't let street hookers touch you.

A tazer may be effective.

When I first came here 12 years ago I bought a money clip and carried my cash and DL in it. Wallet stayed in the room. When I got into a high foot traffic area I moved the money clip to my breast pocket with button or flap. No T shirts. Now I still carry my cash in the MC but also a wallet with cards and ID but no money. If I feel I am in an unsafe area I move the wallet to the breast pocket too or keep one hand on the wallet. I don't hang out in the bars and tourist areas any more so not usually worried too much about it. I learned my lesson many years ago when pickpocketed on a bus with people packed like sardines.

I had an inside pocket sewn in my pants the same size as my passport ,

its on the left side and I normally put my 500s-1000 baht notes there , ATM card and ID

any of the ladies with sewing machines on the street can do it for around 50 baht

a few days ago I saw 3 ladyboys swarm a Japanese tourist on Sukhumvit trying to pick his pockets ,

I yelled something and pulled out my cell phone and pretended to take a picture of them and they ran off

That's a great idea, but I think you would need to be very fluent in Thai to get the ladies with the sewing machine to understand what you want done.

Wallet and phone always in front pockets when out at night when wearing jeans or tight black leather pants.

Also most of my shorts which are cargo shorts have buttons or zips on the pockets.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Wallet and phone always in front pockets when out at night when wearing jeans or tight black leather pants.

Also most of my shorts which are cargo shorts have buttons or zips on the pockets.

Sent from my c64

'Don't know if it happens much in Thailand, but pickpockets in some parts of the world are famous for the razor sharp knives they carry. They can slice open a pocket so quickly and easily (esp. with the help of an accomplice providing some kind of distraction), that they've done so, removed the contents, and are away without the victim feeling a thing. Buttons & zips not a deterrent for this sort of thing.

Edited by hawker9000

my wife does...

Oh please, nothing easier to steal than a bag.

I am talking about pickpocketing here, not stealing bags, but either way nothing is 100% safe, and a moneybelt is safest IMO.

You appear a little confused Possom, you are the one who first mentioned bags, and now you mention money belts. Are you now expanding the topic to bag-picking and belt picking?

SmotherB. I'm sorry if I put this topic over wrongly, I wanted to find out from posters, the best way to deter pickpockets, like money down your sock, using a moneybelt, or a manbag, which I see a lot of those days, to avoid thieves from stealing from your person.

They can't pick your pockets if there is no money in them, and how hard is it for them to steal from a manbag or moneybelt?