Ed visa to Non-O extension based on marriage

Hi all,

I've been reading through a few topics here with this type of question, but I keep reading conflicting information.. So, just to get this straight... I am currently on an ED visa which was issued to me in London, although I requested a Non-O Volunteer visa and should have been given that as I was volunteering, but they decided to give me an ED visa instead which I never really understood, so I am coming to the end of the 90 days mid-February - as I am no longer volunteering, and not in any sort of education obviously I won't be/shouldn't able to extend the visa as you usually would... However, I will soon be getting married to my Thai partner, so, once we are married, can I apply for an extension based on marriage at my local immigration office using the ED visa I am currently on, or do I need to go abroad and apply for a non-O visa?

Many thanks

You should be able to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 days entries you get from your visa. All that is required is that you have a non immigrant visa.

There might be some immigration offices that will say that you cannot do it. In that case all you could do is go out for a single entry non-o visa at any nearby embassy or consulate.

• Like 2

Ok thank you :)

Anyone know if they will do this in Krabi?

Also, as a British woman marrying a Thai man, am I correct in thinking that the financial requirements etc are not required?

Edited by fin5prtw

Ok thank you smile.png

Anyone know if they will do this in Krabi?

Also, as a British woman marrying a Thai man, am I correct in thinking that the financial requirements etc are not required?

They should do it. I have not seen any reports about their policies.

No financial proof will be needed. You husband needs to go with you when you apply. All the other documents required will be the same as marriage to Thai lady,

• 4 weeks later...

^ would you need a letter from your school saying that you're no longer studying there to do this marriage extension? has anyone else done this before?

If you are on an extension of stay for attending school CW will no longer change the reason for an extension. A report about this was made recently.

If you are on a ED visa entry they may still do it. In this case a letter would not be needed.

^ would you need a letter from your school saying that you're no longer studying there to do this marriage extension? has anyone else done this before?

If you are on an extension of stay for attending school CW will no longer change the reason for an extension. A report about this was made recently.

If you are on a ED visa entry they may still do it. In this case a letter would not be needed.

I'm on my last week of my student visa (my first single entry) 90 days. I just had a son and I really don't want to go to Vientiene or any other Embassy to do the whole apply for visa thing. I have a copy of my Thai son's BC and his house record book.

Can I just leave the country (airport) and come back the same day for a visa on arrival. Then go to immigration and apply for an extension based on having a child? Or do I need to do the whole non immigration O single entry route.

Thanks

I'm on my last week of my student visa (my first single entry) 90 days. I just had a son and I really don't want to go to Vientiene or any other Embassy to do the whole apply for visa thing. I have a copy of my Thai son's BC and his house record book.

Can I just leave the country (airport) and come back the same day for a visa on arrival. Then go to immigration and apply for an extension based on having a child? Or do I need to do the whole non immigration O single entry route.

Thanks

You would not have to leave the country to get the 60 day extension. Immigration would do that extension it is only the one year extension they will not do.