Info on New Restaurant Requirements, please...

I'm working on my Business plan to open a new Restaurant in Bangkok, and I need information on exactly what Registrations, Laws and Permits/Licenses I must comply with for a Restaurant that will serve Beer! (but is not a Beer Bar.)

Please Note... I do NOT need information on Visas or work permits or number of Staff!!!
I'm looking for info on Food Services & Health & Safety requirements, Construction requirements, Signage, Ventilation, Equipment, Insurance, Taxes, Fees, etc.... etc...

BTW.. I already know I will need to register for VAT and a liquor license!

Are there any specific pitfalls I should look out for and try and avoid?? Aside from the obvious one of opening in Thailand, that is!! w00t.gif

Thanks for any help, advice and info you can provide!

CS

wai.gif

A few pointers:

- Signage: Make sure that if your sign has a Western name ( or whatever else is written on that sign ), has to also be in Thai Script. If you look closely at for example 7/11 or McDonalds, you'll see the Thai name / Script written small in a corner.

- The monthly staff report with salary etc that gets handed in to the Revenue Department has to be done by the 7th of every month. Every day past the 7th will be fined. I don't remember the exact number but I think it was 50 Baht per day. So your January report has to be handed in between February 1st and 7th

- Liquor License....I believe a liquor license also covers Beer and Wine. I am not sure how they calculate the yearly fee, but it is VERY low ( but haven't had anyone come in to check on that )

- I not once had the health Department or Fire Department visit the restaurant to check on current "code". However, you have to register your business with the health department and also pay a yearly fee ( which is a bit higher than the liquor license )

- Safety Requirements: cheesy.gif

I think common sense is your best bet. For example when I first took over my business, there was not a single Fire Extinguisher in the building. Nobody ever came to check if I had one nor got a fine or anything like that, but just for some peace of mind, I bought a couple.

- Regarding registering your Business / VAT ( i know, you didn't need any info on that, but you're getting it anyways :) ). If you set up a company, yes, you are correct. If you are married and / orclosely related to trustable Thai, you can do a Sole Proprietorship. Then you wouldn't need to register VAT, unless your business generates more than 1.8 million per calendar year...which I would assume it never will....officially ;)

Good luck wai2.gif

• Like 2

- Signage: Make sure that if your sign has a Western name ( or whatever else is written on that sign ), has to also be in Thai Script. If you look closely at for example 7/11 or McDonalds, you'll see the Thai name / Script written small in a corner.

To expand on this from http://www.thaivisa.com/sign-tax.html

The following are the rates of the sign tax per 500 Square centimeters

· 3 Baht for signs with Thai alphabet only

· 20 Baht for signs with mixture of Thai alphabet and foreign alphabet / pictures / other signage

· 40 Baht for signs without Thai alphabet or

with Thai alphabet, but located under the foreign alphabet

• Like 1

The biggest pit fall that I see is all the family and friends wanting to eat and drink for free biggrin.png

it is the same everywhere, you will have 2nd & 3rd aunts,uncle's and red headed step-children comming outta da woodwork. good luck :-)

To expand on this from http://www.thaivisa.com/sign-tax.html

The following are the rates of the sign tax per 500 Square centimeters

· 3 Baht for signs with Thai alphabet only

· 20 Baht for signs with mixture of Thai alphabet and foreign alphabet / pictures / other signage

· 40 Baht for signs without Thai alphabet or

with Thai alphabet, but located under the foreign alphabet

do not forget the social tax you must pay to the "tea" keepers :-)

Ask the question.Why are so many restaurants and bars for sale.Having a restaurant in thailand is a total head ache.Police eat free.Family eat free.And if it does make any money.Mafia payments.Staff and family stealing the takings.Playing music will get you a big fine,Unless you pay the right people.You must be a new visitor to thailand.Seen it thousands of times before.Big ideas,6 months later.Lost a lot of money.I know you are another one of them.Because you are asking for advice on this forum.The easy way or the hard way.Do you not understand,If these restaurants were any good.Thai,s would own them.

If you play any kind of western music at all you need to buy a license.

Dont worry, they will find you. It is around 15000 for a year, but in some places this can be negotiated to 12 or perh aps less.

This really is a law in Thailand. Seriously.

The issue is... after you pay do you get a receipt so you can stop anyone else (or the same organization) from coming back and collecting again.

They often return on the exact same date one year later. - who says Thais are not organized?

*sorry WP is PROHIBITED for farang running a restaurant.

Incorrectly answering questions on TV is also prohibited by thai law.

Manager of restaurant is fine. As is chef in a role that a Thai cannot be found. Somtam chef and waiter is indeed prohibited.

• Like 1

I suggest you look around - the key to any successful bar/restaurant is offer something no one else is doing - something to look forward too - like a BBQ Rib Night - BBQ Wing Night - Popcorn Shrimp Night all you eat once or twice a week - my (former) success story:: Draft Beer, one of the first Singha Draft beer bars in Pattaya & Hot Wings all you can eat every Wednesday night. Why Wednesday?? No one else was doing anything on Wednesday, the place was packed all night - wouild make enough money to pay the staff for a month. That and my witty personality kept them coming back - before every body chimes in - I sold the place because I moved, shouldn't have done that. facepalm.gif

• Like 2

I suggest you seek a lawyer competent in such matters; a TV forum is hardly the place to find anything accurate in the legal area, more a place for venting the spleen.

Wow ! your reply is as useful as mine and I am sure that the OP didn't know that he could contact a lawyer...

pfff...

• Like 1

The biggest pit fall that I see is all the family and friends wanting to eat and drink for free biggrin.png

it is the same everywhere, you will have 2nd & 3rd aunts,uncle's and red headed step-children comming outta da woodwork. good luck :-)

I graciously allowed in-laws and "good" friends to eat and drink at cost; they hardly ever returned.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you play any kind of western music at all you need to buy a license.

Dont worry, they will find you. It is around 15000 for a year, but in some places this can be negotiated to 12 or perh aps less.

This really is a law in Thailand. Seriously.

The issue is... after you pay do you get a receipt so you can stop anyone else (or the same organization) from coming back and collecting again.

They often return on the exact same date one year later. - who says Thais are not organized?

I'm not sure if that is a true statement for Bkk but it certainly isn't true nationwide unless it has changed in the last two years.

You do have self appointed companies like Grammy that look after copyright material from certain record labels. You can play any of the thousands of royalty free tracks without the need for a licence. You can play the music channels on True (some excellent channels there by the way) without the Grammy people being able to do anything about it, however, by law, if you are showing True in a public place you should have the correct licence. I had a bar/restaurant for almost 13 years and never had anyone ask about that. Also had the copyright people in several times, but they were shown the door.

If ever in doubt about people coming into your place claiming to be representing an organization and refuse to provide identification, stop them right there and involve the police. If they are accompanied by police and still refuse to show ID, take it to the police station.

As for the last statement, getting a 'licence' from these people does not stop them coming in again. Even if you burn your own compilation and play it, you will still be in breach of copyright.

Just thought i would highlight this point.

• Like 1

Ask the question.Why are so many restaurants and bars for sale.Having a restaurant in thailand is a total head ache.Police eat free.Family eat free.And if it does make any money.Mafia payments.Staff and family stealing the takings.Playing music will get you a big fine,Unless you pay the right people.You must be a new visitor to thailand.Seen it thousands of times before.Big ideas,6 months later.Lost a lot of money.I know you are another one of them.Because you are asking for advice on this forum.The easy way or the hard way.Do you not understand,If these restaurants were any good.Thai,s would own them.

FYI.... I've lived in Bangkok for almost 10 years.... and there is plenty of good and reliable advise on this forum... as long as you stay away from the obvious Trolls!!!

Some of us have operated successful businesses, including restaurants, and will understand better than a Thai attorney, exactly what information I am looking for! looking at other peoples posts, I have already gotten good advice... just none from you!!

CS

• Like 1

Whilst you can play music from True channels or U Tube in your home, in a public place (restaurant, bar)you are still in breach of copywright .

The two licences for music/videos are at present 15,000 & 10,000. on an annual basis.

Best to pay & have your stickers BEFORE opening your doors. Their inspectors are not the most pleasant people to deal with.

Also ensure have Company registration, liquor x 2 of & cigi licences preferably framed & hung up

All the very best of luck, & do not listen to the soothsayers, but yes, it is hard work

• Like 1