Power usage of a fridge ? Big diffrence on each brand?

Sandman77

I want buy a new fridge . Medium size!

In post shops . Stuff is unable to tell me about the power usage , is there a big diffrence on each brand?

How about the warranty, does Panasonic and tohsiba also have 5 year extended warranty in Thailand like in Europe?

Other brands have only one year right?

In isaan I got 50 kW power usage free each month is this enough for a medium size fridge,?

When I over the usage I have to pay every kW I use!

If someone half information please post type of fridge that support Ecco power usage?

Just look at the energy rating label on the door. Higher numbers displayed are the most efficient for similar brands of the same category. So a rating of 3 is less efficient than a rating of 4.

If the rating is the same, then the difference in power consumption will be minimal.

Use the refrigerator size as a basic reference point and you won't go wrong.

Jerry

'How about the warranty, does Panasonic and tohsiba also have 5 year extended warranty in Thailand'

My old Panasonic 22 Q Fridge was 5 years, still going fine and 12 years old in March..... bought 2 new 19.9 Q and 23.3 Q Inverters couple of years ago they are 10 year motor warranty both ........ http://www.hitachi-th.com/hitachi_new/products/index.php?menu=1& appears all are 10 years now.

Bought last year a 14 KG Toshiba Inverter washing machine, and a 23 Lt Microwave Combi, both say 10 years

as all are big and far from medium size, running cost would be different.

​Edit: If you have a Home Pro near you, they have labels on all saying what each cost to run..... at the time the Hitachi was the cheapest running cost, again at the time the same size Panasonic was almost double the running cost, Samsung was even more

Edited by ignis

Energy usage is not typically based on brand, it is dependent on size of fridge and compressor. I'd look for an inverter type, which ramps up and down as and when as opposed to off/on full-bore.

Samsung does half-decent inverter fridges and they're quiet. I find the Mitsus nice, but LOUD, while Haier is junk whatever they produce.

Of consumption, if your fridge is rated at 100w and runs for half the day (probably less at full compressor speed), that'd be a little over 1 unit (100w x 12 hours), which'd be 30-odd kw for the month. Hot showers and aircons are the hogs.

Energy usage is not typically based on brand, it is dependent on size of fridge and compressor. I'd look for an inverter type, which ramps up and down as and when as opposed to off/on full-bore.

Samsung does half-decent inverter fridges and they're quiet. I find the Mitsus nice, but LOUD, while Haier is junk whatever they produce.

Of consumption, if your fridge is rated at 100w and runs for half the day (probably less at full compressor speed), that'd be a little over 1 unit (100w x 12 hours), which'd be 30-odd kw for the month. Hot showers and aircons are the hogs.

while Haier is junk whatever they produce. 100% agree i talk from experience of being a one time owner of a inefficient freezer

In isaan I got 50 kW power usage free each month please could you explain how you achieved this maybe i am missing the point

it's an old government scheme. It's applicable all over Thailand. I believe if you use less than 90 baht a month, no bill. My Inlaws always stay under this and are happy. I come to visit, use fan lights computer, the bill goes over for that month and they have to pay. Makes them upset. Not to mention they are well off. Tight <deleted>. Hehe

not sure about that...... Samsung is good for mobile phones and tablets, but there fridge was bad, had a big side by side as the 2nd fridge, constant repairs needed, not what you expect for something costing 36,000 baht, totally fed up with the constant repairs + cost of repairs, sold it for 700 baht to the recycle place and it was just 4 year old !!

have a lot of Fans, Haier all perfect, some 12 years old. [6x 18" and a 22" all Haier 3 of them the Industrial power wind ones]

on the other hand have a lot of Panasonic things, some item at least 20 years old brought with me here and work perfectly, but the 16" floor fan bought here has had 3 new motors in 11 years, oddly 2 cheap Floor fans almost 12 years old, only 1 has had a new motor, Fan name Troy !! but the wall mounted 2 both the plastic casing broke and they fell off the wall within 5 years.

I can recommend the Samsung inverter. Separate fridge / freezer. 5 year motor warranty. Rated as 5 efficient. I paid ฿7,200 last June but Iv seen that the price is well up from that now, I'm not surprised, it's v good.

You can't really calculate the running cost of a fridge / freezer by the motor wattage, or even use it as a comparison across brands. If the door seal and case insulation is sub-standard or poor quality; the motor will run for longer and more frequently than if the design and quality are good. Likewise in use; if the internal temp is set too low or the external location is too hot or not well vented; the motor will run more frequently and for longer. Also the local habit of opening the door and walking away then returning a couple of minutes later to close the door is a costly one.

As already written:

big difference in power consumption depending on design.

Inverter type most effective.

The sticker on the frigdes. example (2008 norm):

5 : best efficiency class (according to this old norm!)

546.41 : yearly power consumption in kWh based on some standardized measurent.

1792.21 : yearly power costs in THB based on some assumed cost/kWh.

365.5 / 12.9 : volume in liter or cubicfeet respectively,

546.41/12 = 45,5 kWh / month.

With the deviation from the norm values to be expected, the 50 kWh limit would probably be exceed with such a model.

But there are modern full size fridges with about 50% of this consumption.

5saving_fridge_zps6f8f34bc.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Sticker on my 2 year old Hitachi 23.3 Q Inverter. so very big size, almost twice the size of the above sticker size.

says

320.21 yearly power consumption in kWh and

1,001.60 yearly power costs in baht

621.0/23.3 volume in liter or cubic feet respectively,

Sorry the bit smaller 19.9Q have already pulled the sticker off, so no idea, but less as is also a Inverter

Edit:

OK is wrong size that the OP is looking for, but maybe gives an idea ?

Edited by ignis

Sticker on my 2 year old Hitachi 23.3 Q Inverter. so very big size, almost twice the size of the above sticker size.

says

Sorry the bit smaller 19.9Q have already pulled the sticker off, so no idea, but less as is also a Inverter

Edit:

As a comparison,

I have a little 4yo, 3.5 cu ft mini bar fridge shows this on the label: 290 kWh/year - only 10% less energy than your 23 cu ft one....

So in answer to the OP, yes, there can be a massive difference in power usage.

says

Edit:

As a comparison,

I have a little 4yo, 3.5 cu ft mini bar fridge shows this on the label: 290 kWh/year - only 10% less energy than your 23 cu ft one....

Maybe Ignis has a special Hitachi fridge, because the 23Q side by side inverters from Hitachi I see at Homepro have a sticker that says something like 520 Kwh.

says

Edit:

As a comparison,

Maybe Ignis has a special Hitachi fridge, because the 23Q side by side inverters from Hitachi I see at Homepro have a sticker that says something like 520 Kwh.

The Hitachi R-D6800T 24.5 cu ft uses 361 units/year, so no reason to suspect Ignis's label or typing is wrong. He obviously paid very close attention to the stickers when he bought though ;)

Here's a reference: http://labelno5.egat.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37&Itemid=318〈=th

Some very big differences, even within brands.

Edit: here's an English version with some basic search abilties: http://labelno5.opr.egat.co.th/appdata/labelno5/en

I dumped the data from link #1 into a spreadsheet and did some math on Annual kWh per cu ft... The range is from 14.7 kWh/year/cu.ft all the way up to 152.9 kWh/year/cu.ft....

I never would have anticipated such a difference was remotely possible.

@OP, thanks for bringing this up, very enlightening smile.png

It looks like my little bar fridge is going to become a 21.2 cu ft Hitachi R-V600PWX - 600% bigger for only 17% more power, and only 30K Baht ;)

Edited by IMHO

says

Edit:

As a comparison,

The Hitachi R-D6800T 24.5 cu ft uses 361 units/year, so no reason to suspect Ignis's label or typing is wrong. He obviously paid very close attention to the stickers when he bought though wink.png

There are fridges and there are fridges. What I'm talking about are side by side, with a freezer compartment the same size as the fridge compartment.

The fridges with the low power usage have a freezer compartment half the size of the fridge part.

It's obvious that it cost less to cool down to 3° as to freeze to -23°.

I can also tell you that I bought a Samsung inverter side by side only 3 weeks ago, and on the label it says 542 kWh/year.

My watt-o- meter tells me an average of 1.87 kWh per 24 Hours. Make the calculation yourself.

For your info, the fridge and freezer are fully stocked, and since I'm single it isn't opened many times a day.

I did some research this afternoon at our local Tesco.

For the metric friends whistling.gif

For the most energy efficient devices, there there is an easy rule of thumb: 1 kWh/year per 1 liter of volume.

Deviations from that are in the one digit percentage range.

1 cu.ft. = 28.3 liters.

Roughly: 30 kWh/year per 1 cu.fr. of volume.

Most efficient devices I found were from Samsung and Panasonic ("ECO plus").

Other "older' devices use about double that amount.

Example 183 litre = 181 kWh/year for a Panasonic fridge without separate freezer compartment.

This 183 liter is to my opinion a "medium size" as the thread starter wrote.

And 181 kWh/year is way below th 50 kWh/month (= 600 kWh/year).

Edited by KhunBENQ

says

Edit:

As a comparison,

No it is NOT a side by side, just a very big fridge the door is 94 cm wide [had to cut my work surface and unit down so width of fridge would fit where the old Panasonic fridge was]........ have a big Panasonic chest Deep Freeze so have no need for a freezer and fridge together...

Re Home Pro, talk to them they have a book on all makes and models they can get, the model I bought took only 7 days to arrive, was not a model they hold in stock..

The side by side uses a lot more than a single fridge... the 2nd fridge bought was the 19.9Q from stock

As a PS........ also did the same with the freezer, [Panasonic 1.5 meters long 15Q] made a special order, as not the size they hold in stock, is much bigger, but was in there book at Home Pro, silly about 3,000 baht more difference in price to the much shorter in stock 6.5Q Panasonic.

Always had 2 big fridges here........is over 30KM to nearest supermarket, around 100KM to Makro.

• Like 2