Special report: Sukhumvit Shakedown

Jonathan Fairfield

I was there very recently and it did not happen to me, neither did it happen to any person I spoke to, Neither did I hear any story about it happening to anyone. If you walk around as most tourists do dressed like a <deleted> tramp then you're probably more likely to get it.

There's a growing prejudice against expats in Thailand. The gov. knows foreign govs. don't think too highly of the state of affairs, so it seems the police have card blanch to harass, especially white tourist. I would pleased to see that Thais, Chinese etc. are being shaken down. Other than some middle eastern harassment, I haven't read the same accounts. At this time, I feel convinced this shakedown has permission, otherwise...why the hell is it going on. Why not bust full moon parties? Oh no... don't dare touch the golden geese.

But what happens if you consumed that spliff while in the UK, as it stays in your system along time, it is illegal to posses it in the UK, but you can not be charged if you have already taken it, or maybe a passive smoker who had a caution, how would you stand then.

Guilty. It doesn't matter where you smoked it, if you test positive you will have a problem. Same in most Asian countries and even more so in stricter places like UAE and the other Gulf states.

There's a growing prejudice against expats in Thailand. The gov. knows foreign govs. don't think too highly of the state of affairs, so it seems the police have card blanch to harass, especially white tourist. I would pleased to see that Thais, Chinese etc. are being shaken down. Other than some middle eastern harassment, I haven't read the same accounts. At this time, I feel convinced this shakedown has permission, otherwise...why the hell is it going on. Why not bust full moon parties? Oh no... don't dare touch the golden geese.

It's been going on for years and Asians (particularly Japanese) are just as likely to be stopped.

TheScarf, why have you chosen to re-post this old report that is now irrelevant as those Asoke/Thonglor area searches stopped weeks ago?

Have there been any reports of dodgy stops and searches anywhere in that area over the last few weeks?

Perhaps you just wanted to resurrect some out of date Thai bashing. Bit out of order, don't you think?

• Like 2

This is "the General's Thainess" wake up you lovers......

What dumb comment.

The police are riddled with red-shirts and my theory is that they want to embarrass the government as much as they can - and targeting tourists is the way to do it. They will not be happy that some of their own have been busted.

Some might call it petty, nasty and vindictive revenge. I call it normal red-shirt response to anyone who goes against them.

Roll on police reform.

Some folk are asking to be harassed, staggering from one bar to the next in their surf wear. That person that suffers the indignity of having to piss into a bottle is most often the same person you'll find pissing in the street later in the evening anyway. Don't carry drugs, don't use drugs and if you must use drugs at home then before you arrive make sure they are out of your system. How easy is that?

Edited by steve333

I have legitimate prescription (Bumrungrad) for Xanex which I occasionally use as a sleeping aid, long haul flights etc. As this is a member of benzodiazepine family and can sit in your system for around 3 weeks I'm wondering how this would play out should I test positive during a roadside piss test .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sukhumvit? They are looking in the wrong place if they are looking for ganja. Most of the stoners will be at Khao San. Ahhh but those don't have too much cash to shake down, do they???

Last time I was at Khao San area in dec14 all merchants complained about business going down 40-70% last year. Pipi tests was one of the main reasons stated.

You can get whatever you want in Sukhumvit Soi 3/1 - I expect the BIB are too scared to go there as full of African and mid-east drug dealers who would kick their ass out of their, or they are paying the BIB head honcho to turn a blind eye.

The exact thing happened to me last April at Ekkamai , my mate lit up a smoke (tobacco) and as I was saying to him "no don't" , some police spotted him and thought it would be a good reason to call us over and search us, they went through absolutely everything , funnily enough they let my Romanian friend go and seemed to think because I was an Aussie I'd be the better target... I'd been in a bar in Ko Chang the night before where some guys were blowing some fat joints.. They made me do a piss test and nothing showed up luckily!!( but they seemed to be confident I was a stoner) 1 out of the 3 cops was very persistent and aggressive , seemed like he wanted a bust and made me feel very unsettled!! In the end they let me go, that was April last year , left me with a very bad feeling, I went and got drunk... But what I want to say is that part if not all of the reason I love Thailand and go to Thailand is the nature of the people and police like this are so against the grain and a very poor representation of Thai people. Obviously it's money making and an abuse of power and an abuse of law with the excuse of justice being served. But things like this are so much more costly to the Thai economy and tourism than a particular officer at any particular time extorting and making baht, it's stupid, but only stupid if their superiors allow it to happen.

Edited by locorigodan
  • Like 2

TheScarf, why have you chosen to re-post this old report that is now irrelevant as those Asoke/Thonglor area searches stopped weeks ago?

Have there been any reports of dodgy stops and searches anywhere in that area over the last few weeks?

Perhaps you just wanted to resurrect some out of date Thai bashing. Bit out of order, don't you think?

it was front page news on the newspaper's website that we can't quote on here....today.

• Like 1

What dumb comment.

The police are riddled with red-shirts and my theory is that they want to embarrass the government as much as they can - and targeting tourists is the way to do it. They will not be happy that some of their own have been busted.

Some might call it petty, nasty and vindictive revenge. I call it normal red-shirt response to anyone who goes against them.

Roll on police reform.

This has nothing to do with Red Shirt political activity whatsoever.

It's all about money and the sadistic pleasure of harassment.

If found with a joint, or a positive urine test, or a lot of ganja by a trader, really does not determine the price of the ransom to police.

The price of the ransom is flexible: Thais are rarely checked, and if they were found with quite an amount of ganja, they pay approximately 3000.

For aliens there is different pricing: for a tourist, with one joint, it might just be 30'000. For one with residence here, 100'000. For one with property here up to 200'000.

The pricing is flexible and depends on how dependant the alien is on staying here.

But what happens if you consumed that spliff while in the UK, as it stays in your system along time, it is illegal to posses it in the UK, but you can not be charged if you have already taken it, or maybe a passive smoker who had a caution, how would you stand then.

Guilty. It doesn't matter where you smoked it, if you test positive you will have a problem. Same in most Asian countries and even more so in stricter places like UAE and the other Gulf states.

Did you read the article?

In cases where a person tests positive for drug use, but it can be proven that the drug was consumed in a jurisdiction where that consumption is legal, such as Amsterdam, the act is not considered a criminal offence, Mr Winyat said.

Edited by peptidebomber

Did you read the article?

In cases where a person tests positive for drug use, but it can be proven that the drug was consumed in a jurisdiction where that consumption is legal, such as Amsterdam, the act is not considered a criminal offence, Mr Winyat said.

Yes I read that. But having read extensively about it, I've also read the complete opposite. Either way, if you test positive it will take some time and considerable expense to prove you didn't consume the drugs in Thailand and the remand prisons are not pleasant.

• Like 1

How dare these ungrateful foreigners complain about extortion by corrupt police or people that may just be pretending to be police. Maybe a lawsuit against them for making thailand look bad is needed.

Yes, or the same ol' mantra: If you don't like it go back to your country....

"You take out your d**k. You pee-pee tee nee

,"

You missed your chance...you might have said: "What kind of man do you think I am?" "Shouldn't we get a room first and negotiate a price so we can cater to your voyeurism?"

I have legitimate prescription (Bumrungrad) for Xanex which I occasionally use as a sleeping aid, long haul flights etc. As this is a member of benzodiazepine family and can sit in your system for around 3 weeks I'm wondering how this would play out should I test positive during a roadside piss test .

How accurate is the piss test?

2 Red Bull drinks and you are maybe positive?

Very pertinent point and I truly appreciate you highlighting this.

For the police spike in resorting to simply street intimidation to extort money is a sign at Prayut is doing a bang up job.

It has not gone unnoticed that this spike in street intimidation mirrors the spike in corruption arrests under the Junta. I don't remember a single corruption arrest under the PTP (you can google it now because I bet none come to mind for you either) Not one. But without google I can refer to the 7 high ranking police officer arrests, the ex Mayor of Phuket arrested and even the military officer arrested.

In one case a high ranking police office in northern Thailand who had been trafficking narcotics was arrested in Chiang Rai, with over 160 million baht worth of methamphetamine seized. There have also been arrests of police involved in gambling operations and other illegal activities. Last year an initiative to stop traffic police accepting bribes was introduced whereby traffic police would receive a reward of 10,000 baht if they refused to accept bribes from road users. Within days a number of drivers attempting to bribe police officers were apprehended and the traffic police were rewarded accordingly. Though that in itself is open to corruption does not go unnoticed. But the sincerity is there.

So yes, the police have witnessed their peers, bosses and subordinates go down and they are getting desperate because all these networks are being disrupted.

Of course you are not suggesting Prayuth went down too Thong Lor police station and told low ranking officers to extract money out of falangs because implying that link is a reach at the most. And to even suggest this implication highlights the Junta are doing a wonderful job at fighting corruption because it is the only excuse some could think of to discredit the Junta because they have no viable, serious, believable or logical argument to discredit him. It is reminiscent of a drowning child desperately reaching for the safety of a tyre tube.

PTP not fighting corruption. No worries because yingluck was elected.

Junta fighting corruption. Bad Junta.

Edited by djjamie

'... "there are good and bad foreigners", and suggested the volume of reports from the Thong Lor area was simply due to the large number of tourists and expats who frequent it.' BS! Not that many tourists frequent Thonglor. On the other hand, a number of Thai teenagers were frequenting J Avenue on New Year's Eve. Many of them were p * * * * d out of their brains - or whatever passes for same. Two cops turned up, wandered around aimlessly ... and did little else.

FTR: Thonglor, unfortunately, has more than its fair share of bad cops - as I'm sure Pol Col Chutrakul is aware. If not, he should have got out more.

OK - the effect of tourists and image of the police, but even if you accepted that random searches should be legal and the drugs are bad and the operation is all above board, one is left with the unanswered question of what do they hope to ACHIEVE from this? - I simply can't think of a rational answer.