Japanese man shaming Suvarnabhumi in Thai goes viral

webfact

When I queue at immigration I get the feeling the immigration officers are doing me a big favor.

I have never ever seen a smile on any of their faces.

They are grossly understaffed.

The regime cannot and will not accept constructive criticism.

And as for the Taxi-drivers ........... they will never change their ways.

We know and must remember "This Is Thailand"

Few years ago I waited for an hour to get my stamp/at airport immigration /. Not a pleasant experience spiced up with line cutters. Taxis never overcharged me,though.

Dress smart, look professional and go straight to the priority lane ... works for me when I'm not flying business and the immigration hall is packed, and no one has ever stopped me. wink.png

Too few and stinky toilets, personell can't speak english, too crowded at the check-inn, not enough smoking area's, no "good day sir" or smile, very long qeueu's, crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality, restaurants can't speak english, restaurants can't speak english, no free wifi, too few seats for the A380 plane's, and airline groundstaff can't speak english facepalm.gif

"Too few and stinky toilets".

Plenty of toilets and I've never come across a "stinky" one.

"personell can't speak english".

People that travellers need do speak enough English. Don't you speak Thai?

"too crowded at the check-inn"

Check in earlier.

"not enough smoking area's".

That only be a good thing, but who really cares and is it that important?

" very long qeueu's".

Is there one airport anywhere that doesn't have queues?

"crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality".

Definitely not the responsibility of the airport.

"restaurants can't speak english".

The airport doesn't run the restaurants? This is not an English speaking country, you know.

"no free wifi".

It's an airport, do your internet stuff before or after you get there, or use your phone for contact.

"too few seats for the A380 plane's".

Which was there first, the airport or the A380s?

"airline groundstaff can't speak english".

All the staff speak enough English to do their job.

Sviss Geez, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are over 65 and not in international business ....

If you are a business traveller (flying business or first) there are special lanes at the custom for you, both in and out, that usually take less than 5 mn to go through. Then you usually head to your airline business lounge where the quality of service depends of your airline, not the airport administration. If you chose to travel with cheap budget airlines, you get what you pay for.

I can honestly say that as a business traveller going through Suvarnabhuni airport has always been a pleasant experience.

"I personally declare, that I personally never have a problem! Therefore, problems don't exist!"

• Like 2

im just pleased that in 18 years i have never had any of his problems beyond a 30 minute wait at immigration, but even those are few and far between.

good for him for speaking up however, he certainly seems to be far more efficacious at being heard than any of the miserable twunts that post here.

What always amazes me is that people believe the Thais should act differently.

As far as they are concerned non Thais of any race represent only an easy way to make money.

I have said a hundred times.......check out the meaning of the word "siam"... in the old khmer language.

This is great, I arrived from Japan on a 747 and they parked it on the tarmat and everyone walked down the portable stairs and got on buses to ride to the terminal. The plane was full and no open gate for this big plane that lands at 11: 30 pm nightly from Japan.

I will say the line to pass through custom back in the USA is longer and you get checked twice.

Reading the article and the subsequent comments, I can only conclude that I have been lucky during the past 4 years that I have frequented BKK. Sure, I have had lengthy waits in the immigration lines - just as I have waited in Jakarta, Taipei, Manila, KL and even Singapore. In approximately 50 taxi rides from BKK to my home, I have never had an unmetered ride or a rip-off attempt - I have, however, had to explain (in Thai) how to get to my apartment. Last time I arrived in BKK, the rolling walkways were working, immigration took 5 minutes, I stopped at King Power to pick up my favorite malt and I was in a taxi on my way home after 10 minutes in the cue. Some days we eat the bear - some days the bear eats you. Nevertheless, glad to see that those with lousy experiences in the airport share their grief - maybe someone who can make a difference is listening.

• Like 2

“Aren't they a disgrace of this country? They show laziness and lack of generosity to foreigners."

I have said in the article concerning Poll: Discover Thainess campaign that such a campaign should be directed to the Thais themselves because they have lost their Thainess.

When the question "What is there in it for me?" carries more importance than the sense of right and wrong, the Thais have lost their graciousness, which is an important trait leading to genuine friendliness and real smiles.

Now a Japanese is shouting out on this lost of graciousness.

Quite so. Direct the education to Thais themselves. Services are a disgrace in some areas, especially when compared to services in Japan.

Not only BKK airport - look at Krabi Airport. on Saturdays and Sundays, quite often only ONE immigration desk open for planes carrying 200-400 people!

TV screens showing arrivals and departures haven't been working for 2 months. Last year a luggage belt broke down and it took nearly 3 MONTHS to repair

They have signs up in Thai saying that you are not allowed to complain about the service at the airport.

I mean <deleted>!!!!

It is the absolute antithesis of tropical calm and harmony. It is like being bashed in the head with a screwdriver.

You go from long walks through a concrete bunker to a scowling immigration man to a taxi who rips you off and then proceeds to drive at the speed of light to your hotel, if he doesn't get lost.

Rubbish,except for the concrete bunker.

Reading the article and the subsequent comments, I can only conclude that I have been lucky during the past 4 years that I have frequented BKK. Sure, I have had lengthy waits in the immigration lines - just as I have waited in Jakarta, Taipei, Manila, KL and even Singapore. In approximately 50 taxi rides from BKK to my home, I have never had an unmetered ride or a rip-off attempt - I have, however, had to explain (in Thai) how to get to my apartment. Last time I arrived in BKK, the rolling walkways were working, immigration took 5 minutes, I stopped at King Power to pick up my favorite malt and I was in a taxi on my way home after 10 minutes in the cue. Some days we eat the bear - some days the bear eats you. Nevertheless, glad to see that those with lousy experiences in the airport share their grief - maybe someone who can make a difference is listening.

Most flights to and from Japan are scheduled near midnight or early morning due to the 6+ hour flight time.

One thing is certain...

If everything was the same as back home.... I would not be here...

A more efficient airport, taxis who use meter and no corruption would not compromise the culture of Thailand -

• Like 1

Sorry to rain on your mass parade.

Except for lengthy and unfriendly border control never had any problems with Suvarnabhumi.

Trains - frequent, cheap, clean at the basement. If you do not appreciate them - tell me what your country has.

Taxis - no meter, do not take it.

Taxis - a fixed agreed price may be less than a metered cost if traffic is bad.

Taxis - a fixed agreed price is not necessarily a rip-off. Usually the driver wants the money in his pocket. Understandably.

Auto walkways always working for me. Just wish that people kept to the left and let me walk past.

Not enough smoking rooms? How about many Int. Airports forbidding to smoke full stop!

Carry trolleys everywhere and free. Many countries charge you 1 - 2 dollars for their use.

All staff is nice and friendly. True, some do not speak English, - but they will always walk you to someone who does.

Big, airy, contemporary well lit building with plenty of signage for those who can read.

Disagree with this Japanese man and many posters here on Suvarnabhumi.

But touch on some other Thai problems and you will see me as a Thai basher - I'm a far cry from a Thai apologist.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Compared to Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta, and Manila's Ninoy Aquino, Swampy is a marvel in German

engineering and precision. Maybe far from perfect but far far far ahead of what is possible

in bad design, and operation. Just an opinion from a guy who has seen what bad really is. bah.gif

turn things around.Thai style even...back to front......Look for a problem and you will find one...

Like ....O....Suwanna....

last time we got back from Abu D as usual, the Q for Thai Immigration was quiet (with wiffee) and when she told him we were going to CM ...that was it...he was from San K Peng so ...what a happy blok.....usual...you like it there...got a farm...HOW many ducks.? (we have over a Thousand)...welcome see you again....etc...where you want me to stamp....stamp stamp..."pop gan mai...jao.."

Later up and over and out to arrivals for taxi and the guard even held the gate open.....

First one said "no meter"...we said "mai Bhai.-no Go".....next one OK...and 20 minutes later in Samut Prakans 'market bar" for a bit of nosh.(bring you own beer) sit under the stars........and.... Khun wife got a 100 Bt from the driver for the new entrance thingy at our local Mae On temple in CM.

Only thing I do agree is that Heineken prices in Departures are a rip off...fortunately I can usually use the TG lounge....so still ..sanuk

Funny, thousands of falang have been complaining for years, but the "dome of silence" always comes down. The blank uncaring look comes on their faces. No one wants to know, no one takes responsibility. I always get an airport limo on my return home, and as usual the rude abrupt staff at the limo counter (either one), try me out for their most expensive car first, shoving that blasted laminated card under my nose. Now I don't give them the chance, I just say "the cheapest car". Three times they have tried to overcharge me by 100 baht. That is not coincidence.

I wonder if this guy bought any duty free at the airport, then he would have something to complain about.

I truly think that the attitudes of staff at the airport reflect the enormous changes that have occurred in the average Thai psych, or should I say "Thainess". I should know I have been watching these changes for 34 years. Sad really.

Too few and stinky toilets, personell can't speak english, too crowded at the check-inn, not enough smoking area's, no "good day sir" or smile, very long qeueu's, crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality, restaurants can't speak english, restaurants can't speak english, no free wifi, too few seats for the A380 plane's, and airline groundstaff can't speak english facepalm.gif

Check in earlier.

" very long qeueu's".

The airport doesn't run the restaurants? This is not an English speaking country, you know.

"no free wifi".

It's an airport, do your internet stuff before or after you get there, or use your phone for contact.

Damn all that pesky tourists, who come to Thailand for a 2 week holiday and don't learn the language...

Check in earlier.

...because "earlier" there are no people checking in with me?

Let me guess: you are not a smoker, so for YOU it is not important. Therefore, of course, it has no importance at all!

" very long qeueu's".

Are you capable of reading? Does the word "very" mean anything to you? Do you want to tell us, that there are no VERY long lines at the immigration, 85% of the time?

"no free wifi".

You know what "service" is? If you want to play with the big boys (which Suvarnabhumi always wants to) you have to compete with them! You know: Frankfurt, LAX, New York, Heathrow! If you can not deliver and still want to look good, compete with Ulan Bator or some local airport in Nigeria!

• Like 2

I can imagine him going anywhere and everywhere in Thailand with a bullish attitude, just one rung down from being Russian. Could I even suggest, a "Japanese Chauvinist Pig." ? Or just a case of having been here too long. The old "Familiarity breeds contempt" scenario.

Save for the number of immigration desks open when there are a few full aircraft landing within minutes of each other, I have never had a problem at that airport, or any airport in Thailand. Everything works for me, and people there are polite and helpful. What you give out, you get back. I guess I am more forgiving of things, the same things that piss other people off.

Compared with the mayhem at some other airports I've been through, including Heathrow, I think we are taken care of pretty well here.

I rarely use taxis, but certainly always negotiate a price, and I don't try to get the cheapest. You get what you pay for.

The airport and tourists, frankly there many I wouldn't let into the kingdom. Disrespectful slobs.

I have been using the international airports in Thailand for around 20 years and in all this time I have never been treated with anything other than respect by Thai Immigration officials and have never been ripped off by taxi drivers operating at the airports. If the driver refuses to use the meter I tell him politely where to go.I agree the new airport is now looking very shabby but what else can you expect when a large percentage(said to be 30!) of the construction costs went in kick backs and the like

im just pleased that in 18 years i have never had any of his problems beyond a 30 minute wait at immigration, but even those are few and far between.

good for him for speaking up however, he certainly seems to be far more efficacious at being heard than any of the miserable twunts that post here.

Yer much the same HooHaa.....sometimes its crowded, sometimes OK--but seems that every whining expat here has a horror story, & to make it worse its all wrapped up with everything else that's bad about Thailand--makes you want to ask the inevitable question about keep returning -------"Why"

London HR was a bad stop off for me, waited well over an hour & half at immigration with my TW a year ago, (& this wasn't when they were on one of their many work-to-rule weeks), but with the new Terminal's opening they seem to have improved on that a lot-----although it can be a hell of a walk.

I used to dread going home to Brisbane, you didn't have to worry about Taxis overcharging you--- there were none, because of the flight time restrictions the airport was shut if you came in on a late flight, so no coffee or food, & Taxis weren't about to hang around. But I am told, that has improved.

I think with immigration people have to realize that if you are returning to your own country, then its of course easier --you can just place your passport in a machine, or only have to pass a prelim check on your passport.

I think BKK airport can be a headache, (as with most airports) so I guess all the complainers must be wondering how it didn't make the CNN...top worst 10 airports for passengers , ...I guess because there was no room after they had listed these airports, of which many of are in countries that the complainers come from----

France -Paris-- "This airport is the worst in the world. Seriously, the place doesn't look like a place where people from many countries arrive"

Frankfurt-- Germany "Since the seats are metallic and not comfortable, the best places to sleep are actually on the luggage conveyor belts, or on the floor just next to the rental car "

Italy --- "The only way this airport could be improved would be to destroy it and rebuild"

Berlin Germany--- "Seating is limited, queues are long, restaurants are crowded and hallways offer little personal space"

USA--New York City---- "This worn out airport repeatedly makes it to the top of least favorite airports because of its security lines, drab décor, poor restaurant selection, lackluster cleanliness, counter intuitive layout and the notoriously unhelpful staff Once through security a beer is pretty much a necessity. But wait! No can do because the bar is on the other side !!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/20/travel/worst-airports-2014/

Edited by sanuk711

Check in earlier.

" very long qeueu's".

"no free wifi".

adapt or die!

I travel a lot and over the last 9 years have been in or out of the airport on average 4 times a month. I have really enjoyed this airport and have no idea what people are complaining about. Once they got rid of the unlicensed taxi guys accosting you as soon as you left customs and sorted out the immigration departure queues it is normally painless. Yesterday I stood in line in HK immigration longer than I have while entering Thailand in a long time.

I usually have a car service, but when I use the prepaid taxis in the lower level, their price is always competitive and the service is fine to go to Pattaya.

I guess you could whine about anything if you are a whiner...

• Like 1