Top Gear.U.K.

Ace of Pop

Clarkson amongst others revolutionised British motor journalism back in the last century.....now he is a played out old faartt and no-one at the Beeb wants to tell him. He has such an inflated opinion of himself that he doesn't recognise that there is a lot wrong with his out of touch and dated approach to TV.

the program itself has very little to do with motoring and is little more than a vehicle for a load of chauvinism and bigotry

It's very British, I'd be nice to have some real drivers doing the reviews and let them do the comedy, but other wise.............................. I reluctantly admit to being an observer of the show and enjoying most of it.. They also (more so Clarkson) seems quite obsessive with the need to constantly point out the relevance of British vehicles over the course of history to the point of looking childishly desperate and defensive like an addict trying to justify his addiction or a child defending his choice of toys over other children who are more broad minded and creative.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I am surprised no one so far has compared it to Fifth Gear. I enjoy the format of the Show.coffee1.gif

Fifth Gear is also good, more serious, less funny, and nowhere near the production budget/quality. Jason is a guy I'd like to have a beer with though ;)

You don't need to be a genius to figure out that Tiff is also the current stig on TG ;)

I am surprised no one so far has compared it to Fifth Gear. I enjoy the format of the Show.coffee1.gif

Fifth Gear is also good, more serious, less funny, and nowhere near the production budget/quality. Jason is a guy I'd like to have a beer with though wink.png

You don't need to be a genius to figure out that Tiff is also the current stig on TG wink.png

Did you figure that out by the stupid lines he takes on corners sometimes.. Not the Brightest Lamp in the Tent.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Top gear is purely entertainment. Pretty little to do with cars except as a back drop. Fifth gear just gets boring. How many times can you actually watch someone drive a car round a track? I find the most interesting programmes are where they restore old cars. There are a couple I watch when I am channel hopping: one where they buy a cheap classic car, renovate it and try to sell for a profit. Another where they restore a car for a car fanatic who has been unable to do it themselves. They are both on True, the second on Dmax

Going back to TG, I think nowadays Clarkson just parodies himself. James May would be the only one I would want to have a drink with. Still last night I watched the second part of the Argentinian episode and enjoyed it as much as ever

• Like 1

It's very British, I'd be nice to have some real drivers doing the reviews and let them do the comedy, but other wise.............................. I reluctantly admit to being an observer of the show and enjoying most of it.. They also (more so Clarkson) seems quite obsessive with the need to constantly point out the relevance of British vehicles over the course of history to the point of looking childishly desperate and defensive like an addict trying to justify his addiction or a child defending his choice of toys over other children who are more broad minded and creative.

"They also (more so Clarkson) seems quite obsessive with the need to constantly point out the relevance of British vehicles over the course of history..."

The reason for that is that they are justified in emphasising the importance of the British motor industry, both current and historical, and so many people seem to forget that..

Well not as much as some would like to think and there is really no English owned automotive industry there to speak of now and by constantly trying to make it relevant when it no longer is sounds like when an old codger constantly has to tell you of their past accomplishments to make themselves feel relevant but really aren't anymore. England was like the last in the world to make any inroads into a serious manufacturing effort in automobiles but the first to tank in it. The French are still relevant, the Germans are too, of course the US, the Japanese, Korea and now some other countries who own various brands, mostly revived English ones are also striving forward but there ya have it, no English owned brands are relevant anymore.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Well not as much as some would like to think and there is really no English owned automotive industry there to speak of now and by constantly trying to make it relevant when it no longer is sounds like when an old codger constantly has to tell you of their past accomplishments to make themselves feel relevant but really aren't anymore. England was like the last in the world to make any inroads into a serious manufacturing effort in automobiles but the first to tank in it. The French are still relevant, the Germans are too, of course the US, the Japanese, Korea and now some other countries who own various brands, mostly revived English ones are also striving forward but there ya have it, no English owned brands are relevant anymore.

Actually your perception of the UK motor industry is quite wrong.....they now make more vehicles then ever before. If you just look at sedans or private vehicles then most of the brands are Japanese, however if you look in depth you will see many companies that are British owned (not that I consider that so important) selling well and exporting all over the world. Parts manufacturers, designers developers, commercial vehicles, agricultural machinery, engineering, excavators, building site vehicles earth movers, industrial vehicles, trailers, speciality, race cars hi-tech, fire vehicles, off-road, military...the list goes on........

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

Clarion said the only thing Ozzies invented was the Rotary Cloths Line

...and stay press trousers - not sure they even invented the Hill's Hoist - they come originally from 1850s USA - the Hill's is just a development of those.

however they did (or rather an Englishman in Australia) invent the first compressed gas refridgerating system in the 1850s. This was not surprisingly primarily used by breweries (and meat processors)

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Actually your perception of the UK motor industry is quite wrong.....they now make more vehicles then ever before. If you just look at sedans or private vehicles then most of the brands are Japanese, however if you look in depth you will see many companies that are British owned (not that I consider that so important) selling well and exporting all over the world. Parts manufacturers, designers developers, commercial vehicles, agricultural machinery, engineering, excavators, building site vehicles earth movers, industrial vehicles, trailers, speciality, race cars hi-tech, fire vehicles, off-road, military...the list goes on........

Well actually it seems that on all points my comments are exactly correct since as I stated there's not an AUTOMOBILE manufacturer in your list (specialty race cars aside).. But like so many other times you can't read either and/or stand firmly and argumentally in denial like those who agree with you. Those are NOT automobile manufacturers and right now the lot of you are proving my point exactly, thank you so much for doing so.. I know reality is a tough pill to swallow, but let's just move on now shall we?

Edited by WarpSpeed