Losing Work Permit after re-entering Thailand

Hi all,

I initially arrived on a Non-immigrant B visa, then got my work permit. My company changed that to a multi-entry permit, and I have had one extension of stay. I recently left the country for a few weeks and arrived back in early January. On arrival at the airport, my passport was stamped "VISA TYPE:Non-RE". If I now resign, do I have to leave immediately or can I stay in Thailand for 90 days? My plan is to resign, and organise an ED Visa, but I don't want to have to rush out of the country while sorting out the Ed as I am paying rent here.

Thanks for any help.

Was your initial visa 90 days or a multiple entry?

If initial visa was 90 days, your permit to stay will be cancelled on resignation and you'll need to leave the country. If you initially had a multiple entry visa (different to a multiple re-entry permit), you may not need to leave, though from what you've said this situation is unlikely.

Transferring a non-B to an Ed-visa, I have no idea whether its possible to do that in country or not.

Was your initial visa 90 days or a multiple entry?

If initial visa was 90 days, your permit to stay will be cancelled on resignation and you'll need to leave the country. If you initially had a multiple entry visa (different to a multiple re-entry permit), you may not need to leave, though from what you've said this situation is unlikely.

Transferring a non-B to an Ed-visa, I have no idea whether its possible to do that in country or not.

Thanks naboo for the reply.

No, my original Visa was 90 days single entry. I just thought that re-entering the country might effectively re-set the Visa to a Visa, rather than an extension.

Can I apply for the ED visa now, so that I have it by the time I resign, or is that likely to cause problems?

Edited by farangooo

Can I apply for the ED visa now, so that I have it by the time I resign, or is that likely to cause problems?

I don't think you can apply for a visa whilst you have a valid visa, however I'm not sure of this, better wait for someone else to answer.

I don't think you can apply for a visa whilst you have a valid visa, however I'm not sure of this, better wait for someone else to answer.

As long as you have an "O" visa or a "B" visa you can apply .. just check your visa to see if it is a 90 day or a 60 day...

No Prob there...

You can apply, if they issue a new visa, they simply cancel the old one.

You will resign, then you will have to leave the country to obtain a single entry Non Imm Ed visa, you will not be able to do it in country. Your current extension of stay will be cancelled when you cross the border out. If leaving via a land border, best to make sure you have a letter from your employer stating the last day of your employment.

Totally wrong

As long as you have an "O" visa or a "B" visa you can apply .. just check your visa to see if it is a 90 day or a 60 day...

No Prob there...

60 day Non O or B !! What are you on about ?

Read the post, the OP is on an extension of stay, NOT a visa !

Edited by bigt116

You can enroll in a school and get all the paperwork to apply for a single entry non-ed visa at an embassy or consulate after you resign from you job.

You will need to cancel your extension at immigration with a letter from your employer stating you last day of work which will be the date that your extension is canceled.

It will not be possible to change the reason for your extension from working to attending school because the school will not be able to supply the paper work for an extension.

The whole thing is a lot clearer and I will probably go down the path suggested ubonjoe. Some preliminary paperwork, but no filing until I'm out of the country.

Thanks everyone for your replies, even the wrong ones as it gives others the opportunity to correct them and further clarifies how it all works.

A quick note, someone I know left the country at Nong Khai a couple of weeks ago, but she wasn't allowed out as she had no confirmation of cancellation of her work permit/visa. The next day, with fax in hand, she went to the border to leave Thailand and was fined for overstay as it was now two days since her visa was cancelled.

Edited by naboo

Totally wrong

No, I'm not. This OP has an extension of stay, and a work permit that needs to be canceled, but that doesn't prevent him from applying for another visa.

Edited by beechguy