Fishing in Chiang Rai.....where to go?

craigp

Keing Doi just south and east of town is a good established place to go fishing. Take the Toerng Highway and look for the place on the right. They also have a decent Thai restaurant. The pla suwai average about 4kg.

Don's Doi Hang Fishing Park is closed until the weather warms. The fish are lazy and won't take the bait.

• Like 1

Keing Doi just south and east of town is a good established place to go fishing. Take the Toerng Highway and look for the place on the right. They also have a decent Thai restaurant. The pla suwai average about 4kg.

Don's Doi Hang Fishing Park is closed until the weather warms. The fish are lazy and won't take the bait.

Thanks Donald.

I'll ask my wife and see if she can work out where you mean. wai.gif

The fishing parks are not my favorite. You have to fish with bread, which I cannot cast the 50 meters needed to reach the fish. Think I would rather try my luck in the rivers, with real bait. There are some very big fish in the place mentioned, just that I could never catch them.

The fishing parks are not my favorite. You have to fish with bread, which I cannot cast the 50 meters needed to reach the fish. Think I would rather try my luck in the rivers, with real bait. There are some very big fish in the place mentioned, just that I could never catch them.

And that of course is why we call it fishing instead of catching....I see people fishing in the river often but have to say I have never seen one person actually pull a fish out of te river. I have seen Thais up river towards tha ton string a net across the entire river an pretty much catch everything that swims by for days at a time...too bad as I suspect the Mae Kok could be a river full of all kinds of fish IF there were some limits on people using big nets.

Thanks for the advice.

I am a beginner and I thought 'this is Thailand! how hard can it be.....'

I have also sat for days at a river or lake without a catch trying different baits etc.

I don't mind what I catch or what size it is.

I tried a few places along the river kok

I few lakes I know of. (A lot of water movement of fish on the surface. But could I catch one-no.)

I've also watched some Thai's in the same spots catch nothing all day.

(I did see a Thai catch a fish at the lake near CFU university once.) clap2.gif

I know some people who specialize in catching snakehead fish using artificial lures in reservoirs or lakes. Kind of a specialized form of fishing that requires a motorboat. You would have to know the behavior of the fish to get a better chance of catching it.

I know some people who specialize in catching snakehead fish using artificial lures in reservoirs or lakes. Kind of a specialized form of fishing that requires a motorboat. You would have to know the behavior of the fish to get a better chance of catching it.

Does any Thai's take people out in a boat fishing? I don't mind travelling around the area. Maybe Chiang Sean?

CraigP, I guess from your Simon Templar avatar you may be English....

fishing as we knew it in England doesn't exist in Thailand... there are 2 obvious logical options arising out of this, and at the moment I am feeling too polite to advise either....

fishing as we knew it in England doesn't exist in Thailand... there are 2 obvious logical options arising out of this, and at the moment I am feeling too polite to advise either....

Yes, I am.

Thanks for the observation.

I'd never tried fishing in the UK, but when you're feeling a little less polite, please enlighten me of the 'logical options'.

thumbsup.gif

Yes, I am.

Thanks for the observation.

I'd never tried fishing in the UK, but when you're feeling a little less polite, please enlighten me of the 'logical options'.

thumbsup.gif

So, my simple observation wld be, if u never fished in the UK, why on earth come to a country to take up a hobby which you don't understand in yr own, and u never will here ?

The water remains cold and fishing is poor. We need night time temperatures around 20 C for the water to get warm and the fish to be active again. We are able to catch enough for ourselves in our lakes by chumming them up with fish food and fishing on the top. Otherwise, the sport fishing is about non.