Tour guide

sillybilly

Hope to be in Bangkok with a friend July or August and want to show him the Floating markets as well as the River Kwai. Can anybody recommend a good tour guide with contact details and an approximate price?

There was a lady called Nok I used a few years ago but I think sh is now happily married and living in the UK.

If a Turkish bloke called Luke approaches you, refuse, as you'll never get a cab anywhere and spend around a million Baht at the floating Market....

Tour guides per se are a tough call in Thailand per se as there doesn't appear to be any official guide organisation. Not being flippant but Thailand is so easy to manage that DIY is usually what most people tend to do as there are volumes of books and many pages of info across the internet.

Many just go to a bar, get a lass and have her be the 'guide'.

• Like 1

Since you seem not to have a got a useful lead yet, here are suggestions:

(1) Call a travel agency in Bkk. They all have guides on their books. Might be expensive though to

hire one for just a small group.

(2) Less expensive. Respond to a classified by a Thai tutor (plenty such here in TV) and offer a one-day deal. The places you list would be well-known to any Thai in Bkk. I have found tutors from TV and Craigslist, all young, nice people with excellent English. The teaching rate currently is 400-500b/hr. so I guess you should find someone happy to spend half a day with your party for 1000-1500.

(3) Least expensive. Get onto an English-language teaching forum (ajarn.com?) and ask if someone has a student who wants to get paid for practicing for a day.

Good luck!

Edited by The Dancer
  • Like 1

Since you seem not to have a got a useful lead yet, here are suggestions:

(1) Call a travel agency in Bkk. They all have guides on their books. Might be expensive though to

hire one for just a small group.

(2) Less expensive. Respond to a classified by a Thai tutor (plenty such here in TV) and offer a one-day deal. The places you list would be well-known to any Thai in Bkk. I have found tutors from TV and Craigslist, all young, nice people with excellent English. The teaching rate currently is 400-500b/hr. so I guess you should find someone happy to spend half a day with your party for 1000-1500.

(3) Least expensive. Get onto an English-language teaching forum (ajarn.com?) and ask if someone has a student who wants to get paid for practicing for a day.

Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestion.

Last time I hired a guide it was based on feedback from another forum. I was able to hire a guide and driver to take us out to the River Kwai by private car and I`m hoping to find something similar.