France attacks: Man who saved lives at Paris grocery gets French citizenship

webfact

Man who saved lives at Paris grocery gets French citizenship
SYLVIE CORBET, Associated Press

PARIS (AP) — French authorities on Tuesday honored a Mali-born employee who saved lives at the kosher supermarket attacked by terrorists as a hero and granted him French citizenship.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve praised Muslim Lassana Bathily, 24, for his "courage" and "heroism" during a ceremony in the presence of Prime Minister Manuel Valls.

Cazeneuve said Bathily's "act of humanity has become a symbol of an Islam of peace and tolerance."

"Tonight I'm very proud and deeply touched," Bathily said with tears in his eyes, humbly stressing that he doesn't consider himself a hero. "I am Lassana. I'll stay true to myself."

"People are all equal to me and skin color isn't a matter. France is the country of human rights," he added.

Bathily was in the store's underground stockroom when gunman Amedy Coulibaly burst in upstairs on January 9 and killed four people. He turned off the stockroom's freezer and hid a group of shoppers inside before sneaking out through a fire escape to speak to police and help them with their operation to free the 15 hostages and kill the attacker.

Bathily has lived in France since 2006. He had filed an application for French citizenship last year.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-21

• Like 2

Good. This needs to be more often publicised. I have been travelling quite a lot in traditional Muslim societies and I can tell you that his attitude is what I encountered in most places. Very humble and extremely welcoming people. These are your muslims and not the ones we hear in the news all the time!

That's the same one time tourists to Thailand say about Thai people coffee1.gif

a working illegal

how many times do you see that in the west

now he gets citizenship, he can import his wife(s) , children, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, their children

and they can all live happely on social welfare

Edited by maidee
  • Like 1

a working illegal

now he gets citizenship, he can import his wife(s) , children, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, their children

My eyes must be getting bad! Where does it say he was an illegal? He has been living in France since 2006 and had applied for French citizenship last year!

• Like 1

"You get out of here with your facts!! This is TV: knowledge about subject matter = optional, reading the article = optional, being a condescending pessimist = compulsory sleep.png.pagespeed.ce.vIsRP_3VHZ1MSB6vH"

You sum up Thai Visa forum so well sir!!!

Edited by PREM-R
  • Like 2

I heard on the radio on my way to work that he is now going to return to Mali (?) to rest and be with his family.

Rest from what I wonder? Could be he doesn't welcome being in the public eye, especially seeing as some of his co-religionists might take an interest in him.

I heard on the radio on my way to work that he is now going to return to Mali (?) to rest and be with his family.

This is a very small world and news spreads fast. I hope trouble does not find him and his family for his actions in France.

• Like 1

He is obviously a good man, though it is a sad indictment of our times that the fact he is a Muslim made the story newsworthy. I doubt this would have been the case had he been Hindu or Buddhist. Still, it would welcome him and his family. Perhaps more could be rewarded for positive contributions and more kicked out for violent or antisocial behavior. Sounds fair does it not?

Works for dogs. Good dog can sit inside on a mat, bad dog stays outside. Mad dog......well you get the idea.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If i were him, i would keep my travel plans restricted. The consequences of France displaying this brave guy and giving him citizenship is that they have also given the terrorists a target.

What a coup it would be for them if he was taken hostage and beheaded as a message to others.

Sorry for bringing a nice positive thread down, but reality really does suck sometimes.

• Like 2

France counterattacks - by giving a French citizenship to a man from Mali who helped the Police. Poor France!

The man lived in France from 2006. For nearly 8 years.

Is working. Applied for citizenship. Should be getting it anyway.

Generous French!

Sorry, I have been immunized against euphoria.

Edited by ABCer

Good. This needs to be more often publicised. I have been travelling quite a lot in traditional Muslim societies and I can tell you that his attitude is what I encountered in most places. Very humble and extremely welcoming people. These are your muslims and not the ones we hear in the news all the time!

Don't get too carried away. Travel and tell em you ate gay and look at your head roll as they cut it off.

I too have travelled in Muslim countries and seen kindness too but more often than not, strict adherence to the Iman

a working illegal

Rubbish. He was working legally and had already made application for citizenship. His bravery was rewarded by pushing his paperwork forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk