Indonesia plays down international fallout of execution

webfact

Indonesia plays down international fallout of execution

21-1-2558-9-38-28-wpcf_728x413.jpg

JAKARTA: -- Indonesia's Foreign Affairs Ministry on Tuesday stressed that the ambassadors of the Netherlands and Brazil were only called back for consultation, not withdrawal, The Jakarta Globe reported.

Ministry spokesman Armanatha Nasir said that both the Netherlands and Brazil still have a diplomatic presence in Jakarta.

The governments of the two countries expressed their serious disappointment over Indonesia’s decision to execute their nationals – who were drug convicts, despute requests for the death sentences to be commuted – and recalled their ambassadors.

The spokesman said such a diplomatic move should not be considered as very unusual. He added that the relations with Brazil and the Netherlands would not be harmed by this measure, and that Indonesia still considered its ties with both as friendly.

Six people were executed for drug offenses on Sunday, one Indonesian national, a Dutchman, a Brazilian, a Vietnamese woman, and the two Nigerians.

Armanatha also said that Indonesia respected the efforts by Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott to get Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan off death row, but that the supremacy of Indonesian law should be honored.

The spokesman said he was confident ties with Australia would not be damaged over the execution of the two men who were part of the so-called Bali Nine heroin smuggling network.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/indonesia-plays-international-fallout-execution

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-21

It's a sovereign country with laws ....I support Indonesia for standing up to what they believe in

Every country has some laws which one may not agree with personally ,..however to expect these to be changed based on other countries preference should not be the democratic way to rule

People should respect the rules ...we hate the visa run and reporting but doesn't stop people who love Thailand from returning ...we may wish for it to change and hope it's close but till then you still have to respect the laws no matter whether u agree with it or not

• Like 2

Yes he was a trafficker ...maybe he had some reasons to do so ...maybe he was down and out and maybe he was used by the big lords

Irregardless ...he broke the law , he saw the signs ...it's big and red in the arrival hall

He chose to break it and I don't think it's an unreasonable law

Indonesia has every right to execute him ....if someone disagrees they should look for a country to traffic where the laws guarantees you a life sentence instead and take that gamble

• Like 1

It's a sovereign country with laws ....I support Indonesia for standing up to what they believe in

Every country has some laws which one may not agree with personally ,..however to expect these to be changed based on other countries preference should not be the democratic way to rule

People should respect the rules ...we hate the visa run and reporting but doesn't stop people who love Thailand from returning ...we may wish for it to change and hope it's close but till then you still have to respect the laws no matter whether u agree with it or not

A good comparison ''The death penalty and 90 day address reporting'' one you can live with the other you can't

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

I made a point that laws have to be respected and not trying to compare one or the other

If you can respect laws ...you have to pay the penalty as prescribed by the laws ...every democratic country has it own sets of laws

Many entering the country , one is subject to it whether you may agree or like it

• Like 1

The sign are so plain and in bright red at the arrival hall

Drug trafficking in Indonesia carries the death penalty

The person chose to ignore that.

Yes, but once you see the bright red sign, it's too late.

You are warned when on the plane too. Always the opportunity to dispose on the plane if you want after the announcement on plane.

• Like 2

Don't go to countries where you disagree with the law, and if you live in a country with bad laws,( apartheid, anti gay laws), work to change them.

The death penalty for drug trafficking in Indonesia is well known. All these people knew this was a possible outcome. While I am opposed to

the war on drugs around the world I know many disagree and it is there country. And no I do not take drugs and nor do I judge those who do.

INDONESIA = MURDERER !!!!!!!!!!!

You could look at it that way, but you could also look at it the way that (in the Australians case) the victim wants to be murdered because he stepped into the lions den wearing a beef vest and bacon trousers.

Surely a dumb act to start with.

Maybe this is just a case of suicide?