changes to ed visa extensions jomtiem immigration

lucky mick

I have been informed by my school today that when a person is due to renew their extension a representative of the school will take the applications to Jomtien and submit them on behalf of the student, once this is done the student will be notified by the school to go to immigration with their passport and have their photos taken, the cost of this will be 3000 baht. I BEG YOUR PARDON!!!!!!!!

This fee is charged by immigration and the excuse is to alleviate the time factor and to down size the amount of students applying on the day.

Tomorrow will be the first day for our rep go and submit applications (note I say plural) so if you are in the timeline with other students to apply

even the you are not say a week or up to 30 days before you have to apply they will be submitted by the school rep.

One wonders if you will loose the days you have not used.

I doubt that any local immigration office is empowered to impose a 3000B fee for anything though one of the experts in the main visa section of the forum may know.

Are you sure that this isn't your school's way of saying that you need to pay a bribe because your school is dodgy?

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 2

I doubt that any local immigration office is empowered to impose a 3000B fee for anything though one of the experts in the main visa section of the forum may know.

Are you sure that this isn't your school's way of saying that you need to pay a bribe because your school is dodgy?

I've heard about this extra money from 3 school insiders ))

I would not call Pro language school dodgy at all they are one of the top schools in Pattaya

There was no mention of the school's name in your first post to which I was replying. It may not have been wise to mention the name now.

I still think that this may not be a real fee.

I mentioned the name only because there are signs all over the school to inform every one, even the newbies that come in can see them, the rep is going tomorrow to find out what happens if you go it alone with your application and I do agree this might be some one from immigration who is not authorised to charge this extra, I am in my second year so I have done my Thai laps at immigration the last one was come pick up your passport tomorrow with no questions asked when I collected it.

As you say maybe the experts on here can get verification.

It is called collusion...(scamming for those who are not offended by the word)...where the Thais work together and split up the proceeds...a kind of corrupt business agreement between unethical Thais...have been victimized by this in several areas of business transactions in Thailand...and no I am not going to give peoples names, exact dates and times...you will simply have to take my word for it if you are a stereotypical Thai apologist...

Edited by ggt
  • Like 2

Maybe it's the school who charging a "commission" for their services.

I would not call Pro language school dodgy at all they are one of the top schools in Pattaya

"... they are one of the top schools in Pattaya"

Sounds like damning with faint praise.

• Like 1

It is called collusion...(scamming for those who are not offended by the word)...where the Thais work together and split up the proceeds...a kind of corrupt business agreement between unethical Thais...have been victimized by this in several areas of business transactions in Thailand...and no I am not going to give peoples names, exact dates and times...you will simply have to take my word for it if you are a stereotypical Thai apologist...

"...you will simply have to take my word for it if you are a stereotypical Thai apologist..."

No need to apologize for anything in Thailand except for the usual mindless Thai bashing by people who seem to think life in Thailand is that much different from anywhere else in the world and who like to make blanket accusations again everyone in Thailand based on some unsubstantiated claims.

"Farang good, Thai bad," "just take my word for it," seems pretty stereotypical of something.

How many have you been associated with to say that?

You've only been giving them money.

I would not say "top schools" but rather "long established" for doing ED visas. So this is a rather serious matter if this is happening.

How many have you been associated with to say that?

You've only been giving them money.

'One of the top schools' suggests it is not 'The Top School'....second rate or worse maybe?

Pro Language is certainly not dodgy, but the school probably tries to satisfy their students with a "no hassle" extension and therefore they use the services of an agent affiliated with Immigration or even some immigration officer direct and that'll cost.

If the 3000 baht is the actual fee......it's the same fee as a 30 day extension of a visa-exempt.....3000 baht. I guess that Immigration is somewhat dodgy.

• Like 1

Hi guys!

This is what I have just been informed by the school I attend:

RE; 90-Day Extensions

We just got confirmation from immigration that for every 90-day extension, it will be as follows:

Package A
Immigration will be requiring a fee of 5000 THB for the no-hassle package. This means you pay 5000 THB and immigration will give the 90-day extension no questions asked. We will deliver the paperwork and passport to Immigration for the extension, but at the time the passport is ready for pickup, the customer will still be required to show up in person and collect their passport, along with having to consent to a photo being taken. That's it for that.

Package B
Not paying this will then place the customer (you) into A] only getting a 15 day extension, and B] having to attend school 4 days per week during those 15 days, because C] an immigration officer will be slated to show up unannounced during that 15 days to make sure the customer (you) is attending. If you are not present, then your 15 day will not be extended to any length of time. This means you will lose your ED visa.

Be advised that this is the way it is for all school in Chon Buri... BUT... the rules are absolutely chaotic right now in that they could change before I get done typing this, or change in another month. We simply do not know.

Edited by Psych01

^^^ Package "A" sounds rather like a bribe to me.

What are the odds no one gets a receipt for the 5000B?

And of course I thought that the whole point of getting an ED visa is that students should be attending school at the pre-arranged times, and not doing other things (like selling condos or teaching or day-trading etc).

Wow since I started this post the price has now gone up, it's quite obvious that some agent is involved in this price hike and I would say after research of this SUBJECT no one is allowed to up the anti unless the legislation has been changed, my advice is don't pay UNLESS IT IS OFFICIAL FROM THE GOVERNMENT. MORE TO COME WITH THIS.

Yep, just went and paid my donation. I was told that if i wanted to do it on my own, it would be 1900 baht every 2 weeks. I was shown photos of stamps for only 15 day extensions from people who went on their own last week, they waited about 3-1/2 hours i was told. I said for 3000 baht extra "VIP" service, i would go on my own and wait, but my quick math suggest its cheaper to be a VIP.

Been going to school twice a week sense October, never seen an immigration official do a spot-check yet.

Yep, just went and paid my donation. I was told that if i wanted to do it on my own, it would be 1900 baht every 2 weeks. I was shown photos of stamps for only 15 day extensions from people who went on their own last week, they waited about 3-1/2 hours i was told. I said for 3000 baht extra "VIP" service, i would go on my own and wait, but my quick math suggest its cheaper to be a VIP.

Been going to school twice a week sense October, never seen an immigration official do a spot-check yet.

Immigration officials were at my school today.

And I'll be paying for the... ahem...VIP service when my time comes up as well. Assuming it hasn't all changed by then, of course.

• Like 1

According to the word from my school today, students are still OK to go in on thier own but the fee went up again today to 5000 baht for the 90 day extension. if you want to just pay the regular 1900 baht you still can, but it will only get you a 15 day extension and it was implied you woud be calling down extra scrutiny on yourself.

I was also told the spike in fees will probably only be for a short time, the bosses of the new boss will not like the complaints they will be getting and will put him back in line eventually.

Luckily for me I was in on Monday, just be fore these changes and only had to pay the 1900 baht for a stamp good until the middle of April. Hopefully things will be more normal by then.

Edited by Furryman

I was also told the spike in fees will probably only be for a short time, the bosses of the new boss will not like the complaints they will be getting and will put him back in line eventually.

So will i get my money back?? Will the ones who implemented the new VIP service be prosecuted??

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So will i get my money back?? Will the ones who implemented the new VIP service be prosecuted??

555 very doubtful.

i wonder if one go to extend his visa term in Sriracha immigration office... will he get 90 days stamp?

If one is not a true resident of the city, that city's immigration office will send that one away.

Yep, for ED visas at least you have to do the extension where you and your school are.