A hotel room for 400 baht?

wondercul

Can you recommend a Chiang Mai hotel for this price please.

It will be first visit to the city, so it would be welcomed - a bit of advice on nice areas to visit. I like markets, and places not loud where you can talk to people.

Edited by wondercul

There are dozens of small, clean, inexpensive guest houses down the small sois off Moon Muang Road, especially down Soi 7,8, and 9. Moon Muang Road is the street that runs north along the inside of the moat, and these sois are towards the north end.

• Like 1

I'm on a 5 month vacation so I don't need to be spending a lot of money to sleep every night.

Serious answers welcome. Don't be a douche.

Thank you.

Are you going to be in CM for five months or just part of that time? If you are going to be here for that long, you might as well just rent a furnished condo/apartment. 400/night is 12,000 thb/month....you can get a studio apartment for less than half of that amount.

If just here for a short time, though, the advice others have given is sound. Check out the prices on guesthouses and negotiate from there.

• Like 1

We've stayed at New Mittrapap Hotel a couple of times, ฿300.-. Clean.http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293917-d1203647-Reviews-New_Mitrapap_Hotel-Chiang_Mai.html

thanks for that, i've walked around that market a few times looking for a place nearby but never found one. hotel name in thai with location

http://goo.gl/maps/8DcXl

http://goo.gl/maps/hbKNG

Edited by monkey dog

We've stayed at New Mittrapap Hotel a couple of times, ฿300.-. Clean.http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293917-d1203647-Reviews-New_Mitrapap_Hotel-Chiang_Mai.html

I second that.

Huge old Thai hotel with mostly local guests, rooms rarely more than 400 even in the high season.

very limited English spoken. never stayed there, but saw a room a few years ago for a research.

certainly no luxury but the OP just wants a cheap place to rest his/her head and he/she could find worse for sure

and the wi-fi is decent, and you get a mini-frig in your room.....and there is a Tesco Express about 70 m north of there, that doesn't sell beer, but there are a few 7-11s towards Worrorat Market, and a few mom and pops in the area, too. It's really not a bad walk to Arcade if you are travelling light.

^ Yeah.. but it's pretty ghetto. I get the feeling that the OP is more of a traveller / backpacker type, and if that's the case then any of the small guesthouses will work better.

Yea but such a fun and friendly ghetto, I would choose it for it's local CM funkiness, access to everywhere, .... depends on the op , you may be right , he may prefer the GHs of the farang ghetto.

Edited by daoyai
  • Like 2

^ Yeah.. but it's pretty ghetto. I get the feeling that the OP is more of a traveller / backpacker type, and if that's the case then any of the small guesthouses will work better.

Yea but such a fun and friendly ghetto, I would choose it for it's local CM funkiness, access to everywhere, .... depends on the op , you may be right , he may prefer the GHs of the farang ghetto.

I'm definitely a light traveller. I'm not a backpacker since backpacks are not good for my back. Capeche?

I'll try that thai ghetto and see what the farange ghetto looks like while I'm in the city. Then I can move if I like the other better. ;)

A tesco nearby is great. Any place with a salad bar... that's also a plus. But I don't wear hemp sandals or have dreadlocks. I just happen to like salad! ;) And girls.

• Like 1

I'm definitely a light traveller. I'm not a backpacker since backpacks are not good for my back. Capeche?

I'll try that thai ghetto and see what the farange ghetto looks like while I'm in the city. Then I can move if I like the other better. wink.png

A tesco nearby is great. Any place with a salad bar... that's also a plus. But I don't wear hemp sandals or have dreadlocks. I just happen to like salad! wink.png And girls.

Ah, then you're on the right forum after all. ;) In that case those older 'real' hotels downtown are a good option. Also you could look at the Anodard Hotel; they likely still have cheaper rooms than the ones they put on Agoda, possibly around 400 Baht. Another option is Kristi House in a very good location; it's more of an apartment block building, quite cheap and is guest-friendly. Possibly also places like Veerachai Court, which may do weekly rates.

Guys, how long does it take by bicycle from Thapae Gate to the beginning of the 106 road, just over the river (east of the river)?

Just to have an idea.

Thanks

1006 road? map says its about a kilometer so how how fast do you ride that? think thapae road is one way the other way though. bridge is two way. never bicycled so dont know what you can get away with. perhaps go chiang moi road as most of the traffic does.

Edited by monkey dog
  • Like 1

Guys, how long does it take by bicycle from Thapae Gate to the beginning of the 106 road, just over the river (east of the river)?

Just to have an idea.

It's 1.2 km, so at a leisurely pace of 16 km/h that means it takes about four and a half minutes.

Of course Thapae Road is one-way going the other way, so from Thapae via Loy Kroh and then back up to the Nawarat Bridge is 2 km, so that would be 7 and a half minutes. Or 6 minutes if you just cross at the Iron Bridge.

• Like 1