Deadline looms for prepaid mobile users in Thailand to register

Jonathan Fairfield

I post it only so that other DTAC customers can use the number to check their registration

Thanks for that. I had registered several years ago when it was first introduced as a requirement. Only required my passport. Just checked with the number you supplied and shows as registered.

Well this thread encouraged me to log into my DTAC account and according to it my SIM is already " registered ' . The question that I have is this DTAC registration enough for the government, since the only information that DTAC has is my phone number and email address. No other personal information is contained in my " profile "

I queried the DTAC call center regarding this registration question and here is the email answer I received back:

Dear Mr. XXXXX XXXXXX

Don’t worry, this number already registered under your name. For checking,

please dial*102*9#.

For further inquiry, please feel free to contact us at; click here.

Best regards,

Ms. Pimpun Jummun

Customer Service

I post it only so that other DTAC customers can use the number to check their registration

You told them your name was XXXXX XXXXXX and they bought it?

i often use something like mickey mouse or goofy or cinderella when buying things like phones and laptops when they what you to supply a name for some reason. they look at you, say "mickey mouse" in a strange tone then carry on as usually.

Edited by monkey dog

I was in Central in Phuket a few days ago and thought while I'm here let's go to AIS. It was quite comical because no one, including the manager, had a clue what I was talking about and were all completely unaware that subscribers must register SIM cards by the end of July. They did register mine, but said it was completely unnecessary!

it is a very interesting move and has some good points concerning crime, next time you call your yogurt dealer for a delivery remember not only will the police have a number but also your identity and if they get caught they are no longer just random numbers

The downside of this is be careful who you are friendly with

Actually related to your point, is that what protections are in place for this personal information. Who gets the information, is it open slather for all the government to access law enforcement included. Easy access to call list billing history and the like, this is the problem with these sorts of laws in places like this.

There are no boundaries and no consequences for the authorities when they do.