Attaching onto partner's work permit?

Hi,

My wife and I are UK passport holders living in Thailand. My wife has recently started teaching and has her work permit. I am currently 6 months into an ED visa and going tomorrow for my 2nd extension,

I have heard it is possible to attach myself to my wife's work permit as a dependent (not to work of course, just to be in Thailand). Is this correct and how do I go about it? Also, how do I manage that going into the future. Appreciate any current guidance on this. Thank You.

A work permit only allows a person to work it does not allow them to stay in the country. Only a visa or extension of stay allows that.

If you wife has an extension of stay from immigration you can get a dependent extension based upon her extension. Yours would be valid for the length of time remaining on hers when it is issued. When she gets a new one you would then apply for another extension.

Some immigration offices may allow you to change the reason for your extension for attending school to a dependent extension. If not you would have to go out for a single entry non-o visa.

You will need your marriage certificate in English or a certified translation of it to Thai to apply for the extension. You would also will need copies of your wife's passport photo page and extension stamp. Immigration may also want a letter from the company she is working for confirming she is still working for them.

• Like 1

Can confirm that you can get a non-immi 'O' dependent visa that will be extended every 90 days. Your wife's school SHOULD be able to handle this. My wife (a teacher) and I are both English. Our daughter gets the same. Everything that ubonjoe says above is correct for documentation. I doesn't hurt at all to have some wedding photos on your phone to show around if it takes time....oh...and some doughnuts...Krispy Kreme is a favourite.

Curiously enough I have been extended now for nearly 5 years and immigration don't seem to have noticed that they are extending a non-immi 'B' that I got 6 years ago based off my UK business. Guess they don't really care too much as long as I have a visa that they can extend.

• Like 1

"Can confirm that you can get a non-immi 'O' dependent visa that will be extended every 90 days.'

Why would you or your wife have to extend every 90 days? That doesn't make any sense.

"Curiously enough I have been extended now for nearly 5 years and immigration don't seem to have noticed that they are extending a non-immi 'B' that I got 6 years ago based off my UK business. Guess they don't really care too much as long as I have a visa that they can extend."

You no longer have a visa. They are extending your permission to stay, not a visa.

The only thing curious about your post, is your post.

• Like 2

You called a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country an extension which it is not. Extensions of stay and 90 day reports are two different things.

In reality your non-b visa expired long ago and you have been extending the permit to stay it allowed you to get on entry for 5 years.

I don't even have a visa in my passport since I got new one. I just have a stamp with info about the visa I used to enter the country that gave me the permit to stay that I have extended 7 times.

• Like 1

Can confirm that you can get a non-immi 'O' dependent visa that will be extended every 90 days. Your wife's school SHOULD be able to handle this. My wife (a teacher) and I are both English. Our daughter gets the same. Everything that ubonjoe says above is correct for documentation. I doesn't hurt at all to have some wedding photos on your phone to show around if it takes time....oh...and some doughnuts...Krispy Kreme is a favourite.

Curiously enough I have been extended now for nearly 5 years and immigration don't seem to have noticed that they are extending a non-immi 'B' that I got 6 years ago based off my UK business. Guess they don't really care too much as long as I have a visa that they can extend.

Immigration are in fact extending your permission to stay based on your current circumstances, your original non 'b' visa is long expired.

Admittedly in some immigration zones the original visa held is germane to an extension application's eligibility, but generally extensions granted are based on one's current circumstances, not the original visa held.

Edited by digitalchromakey

• 1 month later...

A work permit only allows a person to work it does not allow them to stay in the country. Only a visa or extension of stay allows that.

If you wife has an extension of stay from immigration you can get a dependent extension based upon her extension. Yours would be valid for the length of time remaining on hers when it is issued. When she gets a new one you would then apply for another extension.

Some immigration offices may allow you to change the reason for your extension for attending school to a dependent extension. If not you would have to go out for a single entry non-o visa.

You will need your marriage certificate in English or a certified translation of it to Thai to apply for the extension. You would also will need copies of your wife's passport photo page and extension stamp. Immigration may also want a letter from the company she is working for confirming she is still working for them.

Further to post above I have had it confirmed at immigration that I can get the extension with a certified Thai translation of my MC as stated by ubonjoe. Do I have to get this done at the British Embassy or are there other options?

• 2 years later...

I have been allowed a yearly extension as a dependent on the wife's extension (work permit) for the past couple of years per earlier posts on this thread. The current one is valid until January. As my costs to maintain this arrangement have increased recently I am now wondering if immigration are likely to allow me to apply for a further extension based on retirement without leaving Hua Hin where we live. I meet all the other requirements for the retirement extension but am hoping I don't need to leave the country or apply for a visa. Any experiences or informed information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, tazj66 said:

I have been allowed a yearly extension as a dependent on the wife's extension (work permit) for the past couple of years per earlier posts on this thread. The current one is valid until January. As my costs to maintain this arrangement have increased recently I am now wondering if immigration are likely to allow me to apply for a further extension based on retirement without leaving Hua Hin where we live. I meet all the other requirements for the retirement extension but am hoping I don't need to leave the country or apply for a visa. Any experiences or informed information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You can change the reason for your extension from being a dependent to retirement without a problem near the end of your current one. No need to get a new visa.

Just be sure you can meet the financial requirements.