Isaan Poll shows 67 percent of people are indifferent with Ms Yingluck's impeachment

webfact

I wonder if we will ever hear the truth out of the Issan people.

I live in Issan, I know what Issan people believe.

And I can assure you, they are not indifferent.

They are still attached to their masters voice.

It will take a very long time for things to change.

If ever...............

because they get kept down by the Bangkok elite and are not used to express their opinions openly...but in the end it is their right to vote for whomever they want...

I was waiting for this 1 hahahaha always the "Bangkok Elite" ! Find another donkey to beat this one's dead !

There I agree! There is not Bangkok elite. There is bunch of people who owns something (barber shop. Coffee shop...) and suddenly think they are middle class. Between the soaps they go out and follow "The Monk" or something that does not even make sense. These people think, because they look good and spend most of the time with mirror, they are something better/special. I wrote "they think". Still they eat everyday cheap rice. But simple as they are they do not understand that maybe one day there is no rice to eat. The agricultural subsidies make sure that everyone gets their rice. The people who were against that, remember that you vote next time accordingly. If you think you will get a clean system of subsidies you are wrong. If you still can read this and understand ...look into EU. 58 billion euros or more to subsidies for agriculture. Even there is a lot crap (cheating), it will keep some of them working in the fields. I think these people are much more from this planet than those who live in cities.

The real donkeys... There are so many. The best are the guys who told openly to the press, when Thaksin was elected first time, that it was the best that had happened to Thailand. These guys never got the share of the cake and are now against him.

Last...the polls do not show much anything. Vote does. I am sure that next election, if ever happened, the vote buyers will be from the other side than now. For me it's a good thing, because most of the money goes again to North and North-East.

With the present situation, no one understands what is going on. Even educated people don't know what is impeachment, weather it is legal under an unelected council, rather than democratically elected parliament or not. After tomorrow, they will announce former PM Yingluck is impeached and cannot be able to vote or contest in election for another 5 years or more ?

Unelected council should not use any opportunity to take political decisions except collecting evidences against her, until there is an elected government to decide later.

There is no solution for political problems here, and poor villagers won't understand what is all these, it is going to make people more confused and anger.

Building faith and unity among fellow Thai's are more important now than playing politics.

Is it possible you too don't understand what is going? Well, I have an opinion.

So, according to you, in Issan even educated people don't know what impeachment, and poor villagers won't understand what it is about, hmmm, but you consider them able to participate to the political process an election is, and to cast a free, informed, motivated vote, I guess, no contradiction there for you, as it is what happened in the past, isn't it?

And when there is no solution for political problems here, as you say, shouldn't you agree that the present Assembly and Government is attempting to eliminate, or at least to regulate, the political games, in order to build faith and unity among fellow Thais. How good they do it and how well they will succeed, ...or not, is a different matter, but at least, they, they try to, not playing the card of divisiveness like in the Shins' strategical games.

So what is, according to you, going to make people more confused and angry? The aggressive twisted 'red' propaganda machine, and truckloads of money, stolen from all the people, with the rice- and other scams from 'Thaksinomics' during the 'Thaksin regime', maybe? To regain total power over Thailand for their own profit, is that it? ...But visibly not a possible impeachment of Yingluck and the two other puppets, according to the poll organised in Issan by an Issan University, because next to the 67% indifferent to it, you have 18% in favour of it, together a huge majority of 85%!

I'm sure this poll will at once be called irrelevant, manipulated, etc. by the red brigade here, how painfull it must be for all of them, after claiming so long and so loud: 'we are the majprity, we do what we want'... One question for them: when it'd appear clearly that you are not the majority, will you then also automatically accept to do what the real majority wants? You won't change the rules you had imposed when you had a majority, of the cast ballots, then, hmmm... Well, sorry, I know it will not be for you to decide about that, but only for those who lead you by the nose since day one...

I think you don't know what's going on,wonder what planet you come from.Army,royalists and BKK hiso keeping Thailand in stoneage.They trying everything to keep their power so they can continue enslaving 90% of the country.I wonder why beloved people need laws in the constitution what puts them above the law.I wonder why army tries to deny esaan people to vote.I wonder why people like holy suthep or sondhi walk free,

• Like 1

If ever...............

In my Issan village they don't see things the same way as in your village. I would say they ate not interested much in what goes on in Bangkok. They are more interested in their day to day lives: family, issues in the village, farming to make a living, making the next meal. If anything, any freebies from central government are welcome, whoever is in power.

It is much the same in my village in Khampaeng Phet province. During the 2011 election they were very pro PTP but not as much now. They really don't care overmuch about politics, more about jobs, food on the table etc. The provincial governor comes around now and again shaking hands, buying drinks etc and the Pu Yai ban does his bit but since the takeover more works have been done locally and provincially than under the PTP government. Roads have been repaired and upgraded, some "freebies" given away, odd jobs have been completed. It is as though more funds are available and released than before. I have lived here over 10 years now and little things keep happening that never did before.

I have no idea why it is happening but it is.

• Like 1

All I see is the percentage of replies , how many answered the poll , that will tell the true story, I don't believe 67% of the population of Issan would be indifferent and neither would I expect it in Chiang Mai , Phitsanulok or Hat Yai maybe. coffee1.gif

Thank you for increasing my knowledge of Thai geography, I seriously didn't know there was an Hat Yai in Issan too, can you please tell me in which Changwat it is located, or which other cities are close to it? Thank you three times.

There actually is. And a Pattaya too.

With the present situation, no one understands what is going on. Even educated people don't know what is impeachment, weather it is legal under an unelected council, rather than democratically elected parliament or not. After tomorrow, they will announce former PM Yingluck is impeached and cannot be able to vote or contest in election for another 5 years or more ?

Unelected council should not use any opportunity to take political decisions except collecting evidences against her, until there is an elected government to decide later.

There is no solution for political problems here, and poor villagers won't understand what is all these, it is going to make people more confused and anger.

Building faith and unity among fellow Thai's are more important now than playing politics.

your post seems to highlight that complicated matters will not be understood by poor villagers.

BTW another 'unelected government' almost decided on an "inheritance and land tax law' till someone pointed out to them that such important matters should be left to 'elected governments'. Those elected governments promptly didn't do anything.

• Like 1

because they get kept down by the Bangkok elite and are not used to express their opinions openly...but in the end it is their right to vote for whomever they want...

Nobody denies that it would be great, for the country's future, when citizens would indeed all cast their vote for whomever they want, in a free, responsible, way, not being manipulated, coerced nor paid for it! The way elections are held in democratic countries? That being of course what you mean, ins't it?

when citizens would indeed all cast their vote for whomever they want, ...

ah, you mean like in 2011?

Not at all, rather the opposite! Like in 'some' future time I hope will come when the good education of the masses will make it possible at last, so for sure not in the past, and not any soon either in this land-of-children...

ah yes, another, "can't have democracy because the masses aren't educated" comment.

Not only is that completely irrelevant to democracy in Thailand today, it is also demeaning to Thais.

If ever...............

I was waiting for this 1 hahahaha always the "Bangkok Elite" ! Find another donkey to beat this one's dead !

There I agree! There is not Bangkok elite. There is bunch of people who owns something (barber shop. Coffee shop...) and suddenly think they are middle class. Between the soaps they go out and follow "The Monk" or something that does not even make sense. These people think, because they look good and spend most of the time with mirror, they are something better/special. I wrote "they think". Still they eat everyday cheap rice. But simple as they are they do not understand that maybe one day there is no rice to eat. The agricultural subsidies make sure that everyone gets their rice. The people who were against that, remember that you vote next time accordingly. If you think you will get a clean system of subsidies you are wrong. If you still can read this and understand ...look into EU. 58 billion euros or more to subsidies for agriculture. Even there is a lot crap (cheating), it will keep some of them working in the fields. I think these people are much more from this planet than those who live in cities.

The real donkeys... There are so many. The best are the guys who told openly to the press, when Thaksin was elected first time, that it was the best that had happened to Thailand. These guys never got the share of the cake and are now against him.

Last...the polls do not show much anything. Vote does. I am sure that next election, if ever happened, the vote buyers will be from the other side than now. For me it's a good thing, because most of the money goes again to North and North-East.

look into EU. 58 billion euros or more to subsidies for agriculture. Even there is a lot crap (cheating), it will keep some of them working in the fields.

With that kind of money, Thailand doesn't need to even grow rice. The can buy it on the open market cheaper than what the Rice Support Program of the Yingluck Thaksin government cost the taxpayers. For the kind of money spent, they could subsidize every farmer a half million Baht a year. I don't think they need to spend that much to keep people working in the fields. Anyway, why do you want to continue keeping Thais as common, manual laborers instead of learning a real trade and improving their condition? Rice in the US is grown on huge farms and because of economy of scale, they grow it cheaply. Thai rice farmers were the least productive in all ASEAN before the program and are still the least productive after the program. That spells 'Boondoggle'.

• Like 1

Not at all, rather the opposite! Like in 'some' future time I hope will come when the good education of the masses will make it possible at last, so for sure not in the past, and not any soon either in this land-of-children...

ah yes, another, "can't have democracy because the masses aren't educated" comment.

Not only is that completely irrelevant to democracy in Thailand today, it is also demeaning to Thais.

"it is also demeaning to Thais."

It is as demeaning as ignoring or denouncing the Thai majority when that majority does not suit your agenda?

ah yes, another, "can't have democracy because the masses aren't educated"

Democracy thrives on education.

Democracy is a complex work with education playing a significant role in preparing citizens to become full participants in a democratic society. Education prepares people by providing a broad knowledge base, honing intellectual and practical skills and teaching the importance of social and personal responsibility.

If knowledge is power, then informed people will become empowered citizens which is an important hallmark of a democratic society isn't it?

There are a number of skills that people need to allow them to become valued members of a democratic society.

Critical thinking is one of these skills. It enables people to think for themselves rather than depending solely on authority figures. Critical thinking is a way of analyzing an issue in a more logical and reasoned way. It is this skill that will assist citizens to make wise and humane decisions when faced with a host of competing solutions to a community problem. It is not uncommon in community discussions to have a mixture of fact and fiction, logic and illogic. Critical analysis helps to sort this mixture. Look no further than Thailand to see the fiction and illogical reasoning and how it is not challenged, but simply accepted by the uneducated. In an educated society Suropong would never dare tell the citizens to ignore export figures and other facts because they prove him to be a liar. Plodprasop would never dare tell the citizens they are garbage. When the citizens are uneducated though they simply accept it, don't question it and don't challenge this authority. That is not a democracy.

Another outcome of critical thinking is the realization that asking the insightful question is more important than offering the correct answer sometimes. This is important in community debates when citizens should question and challenge authority. Of course this would not work with yingluck because she would be unable to answer the question and ignore it or walk away silently as she had done so many times to the media, but as a whole the community challenging the government should keep that government honest.

Citizens need practical skills as well. Communication is one of these skills. It is the eloquent oral or written presentation, based on facts and common values, that often serves as a catalyst for positive change in a community. Violence is the language of the inarticulate. The frustration that the uneducated are unable to articulate a response to political or legal outcomes in society are showed through the violence that has become the norm as opposed to the exception in Thailand. Of course the UDD knowing they are dealing with a pliable uneducated voter base foster this violence to suit their own agenda.

Citizens must be taught to see beyond their own self interest. The more important calling of a citizen in a democratic society is to work toward the common good, to work toward unity, while respecting different views and values.This was lacking in Thailand. Red villages and red schools are two examples of this segregation that was being employed by the UDD to divide the nation. Heck, the UDD even promoted the separation of the North from the remainder of Thailand. The amnesty bill did nothing to support unity it divided the PTP from it's own voter base as is shown by the PTP's lack of support now.

As a nation Thailand was losing their sense of personal responsibility. The politicians placed blame on others as an answer for their own mistakes. They are still doing it now. Citizens must learn not only to take pride in their accomplishments but also to be accountable for their errors.

Finally, education must prepare citizens to become lifelong learners as they are the ones continually asking questions and seeking answers. They are curious, open to new ideas, able to think critically and examine values wisely.

Citizens who are lifelong learners will be leaders who will guide their community to meet the challenges of an ever-changing, complex world. They will also see the opportunities that exist for their community in these changes and complexities. These citizens will help to define the future of the community and, more importantly, keep Thailand's democracy strong and vital.

But if you think education does not play a big part in democracy and feel an uneducated voter base that simply votes for who ever offers them the best rice deal and will never question authority, challenge them, but will simply accept everything they do without question then that tells me one thing. It is you that is not educated and that would explain why you think education is not paramount to a strong democracy.

Of course if you reply by denouncing me, offering condescension or belittling me then I may well have hit the nail on the head..

Have a lovely day my friend.

• Like 1

So, according to you, in Issan even educated people don't know what impeachment, and poor villagers won't understand what it is about, hmmm, but you consider them able to participate to the political process an election is, and to cast a free, informed, motivated vote, I guess, no contradiction there for you, as it is what happened in the past, isn't it?

And when there is no solution for political problems here, as you say, shouldn't you agree that the present Assembly and Government is attempting to eliminate, or at least to regulate, the political games, in order to build faith and unity among fellow Thais. How good they do it and how well they will succeed, ...or not, is a different matter, but at least, they, they try to, not playing the card of divisiveness like in the Shins' strategical games.

So what is, according to you, going to make people more confused and angry? The aggressive twisted 'red' propaganda machine, and truckloads of money, stolen from all the people, with the rice- and other scams from 'Thaksinomics' during the 'Thaksin regime', maybe? To regain total power over Thailand for their own profit, is that it? ...But visibly not a possible impeachment of Yingluck and the two other puppets, according to the poll organised in Issan by an Issan University, because next to the 67% indifferent to it, you have 18% in favour of it, together a huge majority of 85%!

I'm sure this poll will at once be called irrelevant, manipulated, etc. by the red brigade here, how painfull it must be for all of them, after claiming so long and so loud: 'we are the majprity, we do what we want'... One question for them: when it'd appear clearly that you are not the majority, will you then also automatically accept to do what the real majority wants? You won't change the rules you had imposed when you had a majority, of the cast ballots, then, hmmm... Well, sorry, I know it will not be for you to decide about that, but only for those who lead you by the nose since day one...

I think you don't know what's going on,wonder what planet you come from.Army,royalists and BKK hiso keeping Thailand in stoneage.They trying everything to keep their power so they can continue enslaving 90% of the country.I wonder why beloved people need laws in the constitution what puts them above the law.I wonder why army tries to deny esaan people to vote.I wonder why people like holy suthep or sondhi walk free,

For most of this millennium Thailand has be governed by Thaksin controlled political parties and Thaksin appointed cabinets.

During that time what do you believe those governments have done, or tried to do, specifically to improve the lives of the 90% of the population you believe enslaved?

No one should be above the law, not even the Shin elites who constantly believe they are.

• Like 2

look into EU. 58 billion euros or more to subsidies for agriculture. Even there is a lot crap (cheating), it will keep some of them working in the fields.

With that kind of money, Thailand doesn't need to even grow rice. The can buy it on the open market cheaper than what the Rice Support Program of the Yingluck Thaksin government cost the taxpayers. For the kind of money spent, they could subsidize every farmer a half million Baht a year. I don't think they need to spend that much to keep people working in the fields. Anyway, why do you want to continue keeping Thais as common, manual laborers instead of learning a real trade and improving their condition? Rice in the US is grown on huge farms and because of economy of scale, they grow it cheaply. Thai rice farmers were the least productive in all ASEAN before the program and are still the least productive after the program. That spells 'Boondoggle'.

What has the EU agricultural subsidy policy got to do with this?..... That is 58 Bn Euros split between 28 countries. Yingluck presided over a government that lost almost 25 Bn Euros and the rice farmers almost went broke. Now their industry is wrecked.

Indeed - but several posters on here like to point out what a great job she did with poise and dignity.

Euros 25 Bn lost, poor farmers in more debt than ever, and the once number 1 in the world Thai rice industry wrecked. All in the interests of one man.

Wonder who did profit from it then?

"it is also demeaning to Thais."

It is as demeaning as ignoring or denouncing the Thai majority when that majority does not suit your agenda?

ah yes, another, "can't have democracy because the masses aren't educated"

Democracy thrives on education.

Democracy is a complex work with education playing a significant role in preparing citizens to become full participants in a democratic society. Education prepares people by providing a broad knowledge base, honing intellectual and practical skills and teaching the importance of social and personal responsibility.

If knowledge is power, then informed people will become empowered citizens which is an important hallmark of a democratic society isn't it?

There are a number of skills that people need to allow them to become valued members of a democratic society.

Critical thinking is one of these skills. It enables people to think for themselves rather than depending solely on authority figures. Critical thinking is a way of analyzing an issue in a more logical and reasoned way. It is this skill that will assist citizens to make wise and humane decisions when faced with a host of competing solutions to a community problem. It is not uncommon in community discussions to have a mixture of fact and fiction, logic and illogic. Critical analysis helps to sort this mixture. Look no further than Thailand to see the fiction and illogical reasoning and how it is not challenged, but simply accepted by the uneducated. In an educated society Suropong would never dare tell the citizens to ignore export figures and other facts because they prove him to be a liar. Plodprasop would never dare tell the citizens they are garbage. When the citizens are uneducated though they simply accept it, don't question it and don't challenge this authority. That is not a democracy.

Another outcome of critical thinking is the realization that asking the insightful question is more important than offering the correct answer sometimes. This is important in community debates when citizens should question and challenge authority. Of course this would not work with yingluck because she would be unable to answer the question and ignore it or walk away silently as she had done so many times to the media, but as a whole the community challenging the government should keep that government honest.

Citizens need practical skills as well. Communication is one of these skills. It is the eloquent oral or written presentation, based on facts and common values, that often serves as a catalyst for positive change in a community. Violence is the language of the inarticulate. The frustration that the uneducated are unable to articulate a response to political or legal outcomes in society are showed through the violence that has become the norm as opposed to the exception in Thailand. Of course the UDD knowing they are dealing with a pliable uneducated voter base foster this violence to suit their own agenda.

Citizens must be taught to see beyond their own self interest. The more important calling of a citizen in a democratic society is to work toward the common good, to work toward unity, while respecting different views and values.This was lacking in Thailand. Red villages and red schools are two examples of this segregation that was being employed by the UDD to divide the nation. Heck, the UDD even promoted the separation of the North from the remainder of Thailand. The amnesty bill did nothing to support unity it divided the PTP from it's own voter base as is shown by the PTP's lack of support now.

As a nation Thailand was losing their sense of personal responsibility. The politicians placed blame on others as an answer for their own mistakes. They are still doing it now. Citizens must learn not only to take pride in their accomplishments but also to be accountable for their errors.

Finally, education must prepare citizens to become lifelong learners as they are the ones continually asking questions and seeking answers. They are curious, open to new ideas, able to think critically and examine values wisely.

Citizens who are lifelong learners will be leaders who will guide their community to meet the challenges of an ever-changing, complex world. They will also see the opportunities that exist for their community in these changes and complexities. These citizens will help to define the future of the community and, more importantly, keep Thailand's democracy strong and vital.

But if you think education does not play a big part in democracy and feel an uneducated voter base that simply votes for who ever offers them the best rice deal and will never question authority, challenge them, but will simply accept everything they do without question then that tells me one thing. It is you that is not educated and that would explain why you think education is not paramount to a strong democracy.

Of course if you reply by denouncing me, offering condescension or belittling me then I may well have hit the nail on the head..

Have a lovely day my friend.

I appreciate the reply, but to be honest, you too, just take the point of view that democracy can't thrive in Thailand until the people (masses) are educated.

That's nonsense. It's not nonsense because I say so, it's nonsense because it has never been the case before. Look at the USA and it's democracy from the first 50-100 years. It not only worked, it thrived and it's impossible to say that Americans were better educated at that time than Thai people today - just impossible to say that.

The short version is that if a democracy needed all that you outline above in order to function, no country, today, could have a functioning democracy.

I think that education is important too, don't get me wrong, but for democracy, it is not education, but information which is critical. This is a problem in every democracy. People are very often not well informed. Given that a free press is available and active, the state of being an informed citizen is the citizen's responsibility.

As for seeing beyond their own self-interest, this is a line used by the anti-democrats to say that people are not 'ready for democracy' because they don't (said another way) vote against their own self-interests. It's normal for people to both vote in their own self interests and to have a sense of - let's say - solidarity or social responsibility. The two are certainly not mutually exclusive - yet the anti-democrats use this to create a false, strawman argument against democracy in Thailand.

Last but not least, regarding communication, just how much better, articulate and concise can you get than "respect my vote" ??

• Like 1

If ever...............

I also live in Isaan and I can tell you that nobody here gives a flying fart what happens to her.

They know full well that the rice scam was a farce and that their industry has suffered a lot at the hands of that dopey b******.

Agreed, here in southern Issan the farmers knows they been screwed. The rice sceme was for the big farmers. Not the small farmers with one crop a year. They were to small for the sceme.

• Like 1

Wonder what the % would be in the "Red" villages.

Do the "Red" villages still exist?

Oh yes, they exist but they have faded to a pale pink.

And they still have their pictures of Thaksin, but anyone under 15 would have trouble telling you who it is.

Edited by halloween
  • Like 1

If ever...............

I get more truth in Isaan than from the pretentious Bangkokians. Edited by visionchaser45

If ever...............

And there lies the problem of people who are stuck in the mud and can't move on.

This has nothing to do with the government and so democracy doesn't come into it.

She is being impeached (will happen for sure) for her wrongdoings in allowing rampant corruption from her ministers and appointed officers and from not stopping it before massive losses to the Thai people had built up that will impact on them for perhaps a decade or so despite warnings from .

I think that when you state that 'even educated people don't understand what impeachment is ''you clearly don't see yourself as being well educated' as educated people DO understand exactly what it is and means. Her fraudulent government came to power under false pretences with her suicidal (for Thailand) populist policies and now its payback time.

I'm more interested in the criminal proceedings that could lead to a hefty fine and imprisonment. This more than anything will banish the Shinawatra's from politics and Thailand as she won't fancy time behind bars and Prayut will let her do a runner - good riddance to these opportunist scum bags!!

• Like 1

The Isaan poll won't matter.

Yingluck will be impeached and Royal Thai First Army Area Advisor Noppadon Kannika will immediately roll out a “Master Poll” survey of 1,200 people throughout the country conducted by his Thai Researchers in Community Happiness Association to show that 95% of Thai people support the impeachment. The NCPO will say, "We told you so - just another successful day in reforming politics."

Thailand - the Hub of Reruns

• Like 2

If ever...............

Nobody denies that it would be great, for the country's future, when citizens would indeed all cast their vote for whomever they want, in a free, responsible, way, not being manipulated, coerced nor paid for it! The way elections are held in democratic countries? That being of course what you mean, ins't it?

No no no, they elected the wrong people in 2011, that is why the election was not democratic!

Honestly have you been paying no attention to the basic argument of so many here on TVF these past months?

many people are 'indifferent' because they understand very well this is not about rice, that it is by a group of appointed unelected people and that TIT

they feel dis-empowered and are waiting

edit : I should clarify that - they are not indifferent but powerless for now but this impeachment by the Military stooges on the 'council' won't fool all of the people all of the time

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That means election commission of Thailand is not functioning properly, which is suppose to conduct free and fair elections, that doesn't allow bribe people for votes. Election commission is to be reformed first, not just throwing away the elected government. Ms. Yingluck is already lost power from coup, so impeachment is just pouring more petrol in the burning gas station. When majority elect someone and if they are gone means definitely people are angry. Let the Army allow people demonstrate in streets, and let us see who have most support ? Just before coup, there were about 1000-1500 people in the paid camps in siam, most people left the camp because the demand of the leader was unrealistic for most of them, do you think this is people's revolution ? That's why they made the coup to pretend the protest is successful. It is the guns ruling the country, not the votes.

Errrrmmm. No !

Where do they make there's polls up? I feel that someone somewhere in authority is trying to convince the masses. Not so long ago a similar poll told us that the self proclaimed PM was popular with about 90% of the Thai people. How can anyone take these statements seriously?

From my limited, direct contact with Issan people; proceedings, not only the Yingluck impeachment, are being followed very closely. Time (or a general election) will tell.

• Like 2

Dear junta Prayuth.

I don't feel the result of the poll is good for the Thai people.

Please void it and order it to be done again.

Thank you 3 times.

There seems to be a quote missing in the tag lines of your profile

You have quoted George Orwell.

You have quoted Prayuth

You seem to be missing quoting Thaksin - "Democracy is not my goal"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If there is any indifference its probably because trying to make ends meet is more important then political ideology.

When you have more on the table then you need such as in highly developed countries, you usually have the luxury to ponder all the idealism you want.

Pheu Thai has always appealed via populist agricultural subsidy policies ensuring acceptable levels of income, thus their popularity in Isaan, nothing more.

Its more a wait and see attitude. If any new government can offer them decent livelihoods why stir the hive?