Flooding

H2oDunc

Hi all down in Chumphon, I have ben reading a lot about the flooding and wondered just how bad it was. I am looking to locate there in Nov- Dec so any info would be appreciated. Cheers Dunc :o

Just in time for the rainy season then. :D

The flooding has been especially bad this year, but has been very well managed. You should be O.K. in December.

What has made you decide to live in Chumphon?

Baboon, I spent a while there last year and really liked the place. I also spent 18 months working on Koh Tao as an instructor but prefer the mainland to island life. Chumphon is cheap to live has good beaches just a few kms away from town and visa runs are a doddle from there. Also looking to drum up some work instructing there as the diving IMHO is far better than Tao, plus the place isnt heaving with farang. It has every thing you could want. You live there or just passing like most others?

Glad to hear the flooding isnt as bad as I,ve heard. Cheers all see you in Dec

PS I<m looking for a house jsut out of town for long term if you know of any Cheers again Dunc :o

Well keep in touch. Will be moving just south of Chumphon in a year or so and hope to do some local tourism. Some coral not too far away but too deep for snokeling. When you say the diving IMHO is better than Koh Tao what do you mean?

Dunc, I live in Chumphon currently.

A friendly word of warning: According to a couple of friends who work in diving, there is very little money to be made in Chumphon. Apperently Ko Tao is far superior money wise but the diving is crap.I have no connections whatsoever with the diving industry, I am just passing on what I have been told.

I live in a place called Sunnyville [yeah, I know, it is a bloody silly name] about 5km from the city centre.Pleasent enough place with plenty of houses for sale/rent.

See you in Dec.Mines a Chang, thanks. Large.

Well keep in touch. Will be moving just south of Chumphon in a year or so and hope to do some local tourism. Some coral not too far away but too deep for snokeling. When you say the diving IMHO is better than Koh Tao what do you mean?

Timber, The diving around Chumphon is better in my opinion as you dont get the amount of people divin there so the dive sites themselves are a lot less molested. You get to dive with the sealife instead of 20-30vother divers. In my time working on Tao I saw a turtle on average 3 out of 10 dives. my first dive at Chumphon I saw 4 and the fish numbers and size were amazing. Dont get me wrong, Tao has some good dive sites and if you are learning then the infastructure is far better on Tao but for fun diving I'll still prefer Chumphon. See you soon Dunc :o

Dunc, I live in Chumphon currently.

A friendly word of warning: According to a couple of friends who work in diving, there is very little money to be made in Chumphon. Apperently Ko Tao is far superior money wise but the diving is crap.I have no connections whatsoever with the diving industry, I am just passing on what I have been told.

I live in a place called Sunnyville [yeah, I know, it is a bloody silly name] about 5km from the city centre.Pleasent enough place with plenty of houses for sale/rent.

See you in Dec.Mines a Chang, thanks. Large.

Baboon, cheers for the reply. I'm not looking to make a living out of the diving in Chumphon, just to keep my hand in and pay for the odd night on the chang. your friends are right in the fact there is more money to be had on Tao, I had a year there. The diving is getting worse, some days you pull up to a dive site and the place is heaving with boats. you get in the water and all you can see are divers. Now that may be OK when you are learning but if you are paying good bahtollas then not so good. Also the viz gets very bad a lot of the time. Its embarassing at times to lead divers who again are paying good money to barely see the end of your fins. I also prefer the mainland to island life. you are relient on the weather for getting to and from, Last visa run I was 5 days over due to big wave and no boats. Everything is so much more expensive there as well, food accom and the most important the chang is far too expensive.

I like the sound of sunnyville. If you can get me any more details I would certainly appreciate it. Links to website , photos prices etc comission paid in chang of course. Are you working there or just lounging in the sun? i'll keep in touch mate and look forward to sinking a few chang in Farang bar in Dec, Cheers Dunc :o

Thanks for the return comment. I understand what you are saying. There is one small problem. If you go to close to some of the islands south of there they will shoot at you.

Timber you are correct. the last time I went the captain said the same. If you get a boat that the island people dont know then they will take pot shots at them to scare them away. The boat I was on I think had an arrangement IE paid them so we were OK but there is a lot of money in the nests evidently and you know how Thais and money are. Cheers Dunc :o

H2oDunc-- Yes the islands where the birds are. The locals are very scared to go near the islands. Its nice to know you can get agreements someone was saying that one of the islands is quite nice. People understand because of the money, but I don't think anyone from that area thought about getting permission. You said IE had permission. Who is IE?

We have a birds nest island off Phangan as well. Nobody goes there. Period.

Apparently, in the past it was common for poachers to attack the islands with birds nests. Since birds nests can fetch over 15,000 baht per kilo then I can see why they would shoot first and ask questions later.