Old village lady keeps feeding Rats

shl500

I would appreciate any advice on this rather delicate subject.

I have an old lady who purposely feeds the rats next door to my house. They gather round where she throws out old food etc. and it's becoming a real problem.

I have along with my wife tried to explain the disease issue's with her but she considers them as "her pets" so I really need to kill them off without offending her.

Anyone know of a product type poison I can buy to rid them once and for all?

Are you able to determine what knd of rats these are? If they are the 'Rice-field rat' (Rattus argentiventa) then they are pretty harmless and are the ones that the Thais eat. Their diet is purely vegetarian. If on the other hand they are 'sewer' type rats that eat all sorts of garbage then they should be got rid of. They can cause all sorts of diseases including lepto spirosis (rat piss disease) which can be fatal.

If you want to get rid of them have a word with local tessaban or amphur health department. Your neighbour needent necessarily know its you who complained. Failing that any hardware store will have a stock of rat poison.

If they're hanging around the house/village (I have to assume it's in a village, if he's close enough to see the rats when she feeds them every day, and from the sounds she's not a relative), then they're probably also eating from people's rubbish etc in the village.

If it's an old lady though, and she wouldn't stop feeding them herself, then due to the "village dynamics", there's probably very little you can do. Unless Thai people were also concerned about the disease etc, and thus the Pu Yai Baan, or her family, could maybe talk to her, but I don't think the Thai people will really care that much. The Thai people might if you're in an Amphur or City, but if you're in a village, or even Tambon, then your chances are probably slim.

• Like 2

It is common to eat rats in rural Thailand.

These rats live on rice and grains in the fields.

They are not the rats of the west who live in filth and eat garbage.

Without westerners like you poisoning them, they are a healthy source of protein for the indigenous people.

Who are you , with your preconceived western notion that they are filthy disease ridden rodents, to interfere with the indigenous life style that has worked well since long before you decided to grace these people with your "friendship

"?

Whatever poison you use will be far more harmful than her pet rats are!

Leave the old lady and her pet rats alone!!!

• Like 1

Without westerners like you poisoning them, they are a healthy source of protein for the indigenous people.

Who are you , with your preconceived western notion that they are filthy disease ridden rodents, to interfere with the indigenous life style that has worked well since long before you decided to grace these people with your "friendship

"?

Well I happen to live in rural Thailand and my home has on several occasions been rat infested. These were not the rice-field rats that the Thais eat but the nasty disease ridden type that scavenge feeding on garbage and filth. Don't believe they carry diseases? leptospirosis is just one. A Thai friend nearly died last rainy season from it. It's called 'rak yeeo noo' in Thai or 'rat's piss disease' ask you wife or have a look at http://www.thaiscience.info/journals/Article/Leptospirosis%20an%20emerging%20health%20problem%20in%20thailand.pdf

I have tried using traps and sticky trays but they will only give you a very limited success. Without doubt the best method to get rid of these pests is poison. Thais around here use it frequently. I repeat the rats they eat ARE NOT the ones they poison. Rice-field rats wouldn't take a poisoned bait, and I have never caught one in a trap.

The point is that these sewer rats are a pest and the Thais know it. It's got nothing at all to do with 'interfering with indigenous lifestyle' on the contrary it's your Western sentimentality at work here IMO. This old woman should be told in no uncertain terms by the pooyaiban or authorities to cease what she is doing

• Like 2

Are you able to determine what knd of rats these are? If they are the 'Rice-field rat' (Rattus argentiventa) then they are pretty harmless and are the ones that the Thais eat. Their diet is purely vegetarian. If on the other hand they are 'sewer' type rats that eat all sorts of garbage then they should be got rid of. They can cause all sorts of diseases including lepto spirosis (rat piss disease) which can be fatal.

If you want to get rid of them have a word with local tessaban or amphur health department. Your neighbour needent necessarily know its you who complained. Failing that any hardware store will have a stock of rat poison.

If they're hanging around the house/village (I have to assume it's in a village, if he's close enough to see the rats when she feeds them every day, and from the sounds she's not a relative), then they're probably also eating from people's rubbish etc in the village.

If it's an old lady though, and she wouldn't stop feeding them herself, then due to the "village dynamics", there's probably very little you can do. Unless Thai people were also concerned about the disease etc, and thus the Pu Yai Baan, or her family, could maybe talk to her, but I don't think the Thai people will really care that much. The Thai people might if you're in an Amphur or City, but if you're in a village, or even Tambon, then your chances are probably slim.

True and probably even more slim if the old lady is related to puu Yai baan.

Yes it is a small village 500 people or so and as many replies mention the Thai's don't care to much about vermin or disease "they probably immune already" so it like's like its down to the hardware store in the nearest to buy the necessary.

Yes it is a small village 500 people or so and as many replies mention the Thai's don't care to much about vermin or disease "they probably immune already" so it like's like its down to the hardware store in the nearest to buy the necessary.

"?

There's always one isn't there !

"indigenous life style" these rats are the size of cats and live in the cesspits and yes they do eat garbage and if that is your idea of "protein" then you should double the medication your on !

I used to get mice in my home in winter. I bought an electrical "pestbay" deterrent and they have never returned. It's a much nicer way to get rid of vermin than poison, which potentially leaves rotting rats hidden near your home. It cost me £26 delivered to UK.

not only in your village. thais around where i live in bangkok like to put food down on the street, it attracts stray cats, pigeons and rats and who know what else - basically they are encouraging pests... not sure why they do it but they clearly haven't the first clue about basic hygiene or environmental health.

you have to love thainess.

• Like 1