Best Thai Language School 2015 BKK only, no Chula, reading, writing, esp.

chubby

Best Thai Language School 2015 BKK only, no Chula, reading, writing, esp.   

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i'm hoping walen stays at zero votes for the comedy value

Walen is one of the most popular schools. Great many happy students.

Great. But it would be more beneficial to the op if that view came from students instead of the subjective view of the owner.

Its like The head of the rtp saying they are the best police force in the world.

No kiddin. I have yet to hear someone from that school defend it on it's behalf.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many happy customers but they don't like to participate in often abusive threads about Walen.

not that I have any opinion on your school, as I have never attended it nor visited it, but were I to attend a school which I greatly respect and someone were to be dissing it--the first thing I would do would be to come to it's defense. So I find that argument rather impractical.

The other schools I checked out, just didn't really have what I was looking for. e.g. When I went to Walen, they only had alphabet classes or speaking classing, when I asked them about doing something similar to reading the newspaper, they suggested a private tutor. In general I felt like they primarily catered towards people who were just starting to learn Thai.

Indeed, the basics from unqualified teachers. No School can equal a good private, qualified teacher.

Many happy customers but they don't like to participate in often abusive threads about Walen.

not that I have any opinion on your school, as I have never attended it nor visited it, but were I to attend a school which I greatly respect and someone were to be dissing it--the first thing I would do would be to come to it's defense. So I find that argument rather impractical.

One would consider that if threads about a school are abusive then one should consider the reasons.

Jealousy is the main reason for the abuse. Some people here don't like when others do well in Thailand.

Again, if a school is doing well and it's customers are quite satisfied, surely there would be many students coming to it's defense. Why would a 'quality' school be bombarded with people who say bad about it? This is not Yahoo comments section...Union/Unity are schools that apparently have done well and are well-known...but I don't see the forums being bombarded by people spilling hate on them. Why is that?

Not true. This place is full of haters so most people just don't bother. There wouldn't be so many students if they were not happy, but again I don't know if you believe that the market verifies all businesses. Some of the guys are hating Walen for years without a good reason other than jealousy. Have a good day.

They are not successful. That's simple. Very few students. Thai owned. Guys you don't really bother me at all. Years of baseless attacks, so boring so predictable.

If what you say is true, I am truly sorry. I only recently came to this website and started posting. I have no opinion of your school as I have neither visited it nor attended it. In any case, if you are doing well and people are happy, cheers! :)

This time Walen is building something much bigger. Business above the clouds.

Thats great.

As you love promoting yourself do you think some of your students can update us on your course on making money on stocks?

When I went for a demonstration lesson there, and was chatting to the other students outside after the lesson, they all seemed (As MacWalen said) to be happy with the school etc.

It didn't suit me personally, as I was looking for something different to what they had on offer, but I couldn't fault the teacher I met at all, she seemed to be a genuinely nice person who was very patient. I wasn't as keen on the receptionist, whom I felt was a little disinterested and not hugely helpful compared to other schools I visited, but in general the school seemed fine. Obviously that was just 1x demonstration lesson though, so not a very comprehensive experience.

Walen is great, the teacher does not need to be very good with their system all that is required is a nice person with good pronunciation and a good attitude. The way its made, it invites students to learn by themselves through trial and error.

The only negative of the school is the books are outdated, there's many mistakes especially in english(and they still cost 500b each) and often it's not what Thai's would say.

The really good thing about the school is that it seems to attract mostly people who really want to learn unlike other schools that attract people for visas and old men that were forced by their woman to finally learn thai after the will has been drawn up.

The really good thing about the school is that it seems to attract mostly people who really want to learn

Really? If that were the case the school would teach beyond beginner level. As it is, it doesn't even go to P6. You have to to go somewhere like Union or UTL for that.

so anyone who goes to Walen and says they do not like it is either jealous or a hater, a baseless attacker or don't want people to do well? sounds like a rather paranoid and unprofessional reaction to me, I think it's OK if you are mainly interested in the ed visa, if you are serious about learning Thai there are better options, but I do not 'hate' it.

Edited by jacky54

When I went for a demonstration lesson there, and was chatting to the other students outside after the lesson, they all seemed (As MacWalen said) to be happy with the school etc.

It didn't suit me personally, as I was looking for something different to what they had on offer, but I couldn't fault the teacher I met at all, she seemed to be a genuinely nice person who was very patient. I wasn't as keen on the receptionist, whom I felt was a little disinterested and not hugely helpful compared to other schools I visited, but in general the school seemed fine. Obviously that was just 1x demonstration lesson though, so not a very comprehensive experience.

That's funny how you say that. That's sort of the same way I felt about the receptionist when I went to Unity. She seemed disinterested...then when I went to the class and observed for half the period and left (because I simply don't have the ability to speak as much as they are after 8 sessions like they had...), she has this reaction like "I knew you weren't going to make the cut". Couldn't figure out why she was acting that way towards me. Later on, I read up on this school and they said it was a 'no-nonsense' school and that 'westerners' tend to drop out while what is left tend to be Japanese and asian students. And, actually, that is what most all the people in the class were. However, I still don't like the attitude crap she gave me. Were I to have liked the school, I probably still would have left simply by the attitude she gave me.

Unprofessional ones maybe

Funny enough, if we click on your name and see your last few posts. All of them are either woman bashing, thai bashing, school bashing or anything bashing.

You seem like a happy fellow. Your opinion really matters

Don't bother to learn Thai, they pretend they don't understand and are not worth talking to anyway most of the time

The one thing you cannot do without here are good ear plugs, you do not want to be listening to the Thai in laws rabbiting away about som tam or why it's hot/ cold.

Don't eat the food, Thai 'cuisine' really is the most ghastly repetitive stuff, but if you like lots of rice, veg, + fish served with some of the worst smelling stuff (plha ra) maybe OK

Never lend money to a Thai for obvious reasons, other foreigners even more so.

Never ever be tempted to marry a bar girl, most are as thick as a brick and as crafty as a fox.

The only thing Thais excel at are music and dance, that's the amazing part, the rest is not worth a mention.

So you failed out of thai school and are blaming the school?

Edited by bearpolar

As an aside is a school able to use a figure from Star Wars as part of their advertising campaign ?

I refer to post no.32.

Well no one can confirm if the teachers are actual teachers with degrees. So you get what you pay for.

As an aside is a school able to use a figure from Star Wars as part of their advertising campaign ?

I refer to post no.32.

Well no one can confirm if the teachers are actual teachers with degrees. So you get what you pay for.

Walen has confirmed in the past that they do not have degrees or teaching qualifications, apparently it's not important with his 'method'. whistling.gif

Edited by jacky54

I refer to post no.32.

Walen has confirmed in the past that they do not have degrees or teaching qualifications, apparently it's not important with his 'method'. whistling.gif

And again, the person who hates thailand and can't speak thai is making attacks.

I refer to post no.32.

And again, the person who hates thailand and can't speak thai is making attacks.

I dnt see the relevance of your post. Either Walen hires teachers with degrees or they dont.

What a poster thinks of thailand is not relevant at all.

So, to respond to his post are you questioning it? Do you say the teachers have degrees?

I refer to post no.32.

Lots of men have learned to speak excellent, fluent Thai from bar girls without a degree, so whether the Walen teachers are educated must be irrelevant.

I refer to post no.32.

Lots of men have learned to speak excellent, fluent Thai from bar girls without a degree, so whether the Walen teachers are educated must be irrelevant.

It may be irrelevant to some but not to others, thats why a student should be aware, so they can make an informed decision whether the amount to pay is reasonable if being taught by bar girl at the school.

I refer to post no.32.

Like my friend me along with slang, such as pom pooee ting tong and loytoy, even Walen is better than a bar girl teacher. If all you get for your money is an unqualified woman reading from a book then you might as well use youtube and learning sites along with your own books to learn.

Edited by jacky54

Like my friend me along with slang, such as pom pooee ting tong and loytoy, even Walen is better than a bar girl teacher. If all you get for your money is an unqualified woman reading from a book then you might as well use youtube and learning sites along with your own books to learn.

at 120b an hour + visa whats the point of studying online when you can make friends, be social and learn with a group?

Some of us actually enjoy life and human interaction. Whining about everything on thaivisa isnt everyone's goal.