Am I even married?

brucetefl

I married my soon-to-be ex-wife 20 years ago in Hong Kong. According to Hong Kong law you cannot get a divorce there unless you've live there for the past seven years. I came to Thailand over 18 years ago.

I went to see a lawyer about her divorce and he asked if my marriage was ever registered in Thailand. I said I didn't think it was we just had the original marriage certificate translated into Thai. He said it's likely that I'm not even really married here and there is no need for a divorce.

Comments?

And thats the question... Cannot in HK. And according to the lawyer cannot in Thailand either since never married.

Go to your home country and divorce

Register your marriage here, then divorce

Get a divorce from another country that will allow it

Those are your options

• Like 2

Personally, I wouldn't believe a lawyer (and a Thai one at that) even if he told me I was a white man! Surely best to try to register it here fist (amphur/MFA) and then see if you can divorce? But if it indeed turns out you're not married, then congratulations. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

whistling.gif What is your nationality?

For example, if you wish to remarry in Thailand AND get the marriage recognized by the U.S. embassy ( to get any children U.S. citizenship recognition), then you will have to fill out a declaration of freedom to marry and legal termination of any previous marriage.

All I am saying is that, depending on your nationality, you may be required to provide legal proof of legal termination of any previous marriage to get another marriage recognized by your country legally.

I married in Thailand, never registered the marriage in the UK, they allowed my wife in on a settlement visa, so the Uk recognises the marriage even if not registerd there.

Did you use your marriage as a reason to get a visa or an extension of stay in Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You are not recognised as being married in Thailand unless you have been through a Buddhist wedding service

Sorry Gandalf, that complete and utter nonsense!

Sorry but it isnt, it is actually fact. Applies only to legal matters but that is there rule not mine

Of course you are legally married. Even you signed the marriage papers in Hong Kong some 20 years ago and you have never officially registered your marriage with the local authorities since you moved to Thailand. The only big difference is that you cannot be divorced by mutual consent. Divorce by mutual consent is very easy in Thailand. Just sign the divorce papers and get them to your Amphur office. You don´t even need a lawyer. Only two witnesses. That´s it. But in your case your divorce must be decided by a court as you married outside of Thailand. There is no other way. Just talk to another lawyer to get the right legal advise. I once was married to a Vietnamese. We signed the papers in Hanoi and never registered our marriage after we went back to Germany. Anyhow we were legally married and after some years legally divorced by a German court. Should be the same in Thailand.

Of course you are legally married. Even you signed the marriage papers in Hong Kong some 20 years ago and you have never officially registered your marriage with the local authorities since you moved to Thailand. The only big difference is that you cannot be divorced by mutual consent. Divorce by mutual consent is very easy in Thailand. Just sign the divorce papers and get them to your Amphur office. You don´t even need a lawyer. Only two witnesses. That´s it. But in your case your divorce must be decided by a court as you married outside of Thailand. There is no other way. Just talk to another lawyer to get the right legal advise. I once was married to a Vietnamese. We signed the papers in Hanoi and never registered our marriage after we went back to Germany. Anyhow we were legally married and after some years legally divorced by a German court. Should be the same in Thailand.

Of course you are married but it is not the same as getting Thailand to acknowledge that. It should be of course but Thailand is Thailand you know that

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You are not recognised as being married in Thailand unless you have been through a Buddhist wedding service

Sorry but it isnt, it is actually fact. Applies only to legal matters but that is there rule not mine

Are you joking

legal matters such as.........

Link...........

hearsay.........Yes

legal matters such as.........

Link...........

hearsay.........Yes

Sorry mate but you really need to get the facts which clearly you dont have. You are working on what is reasonable but Thailand requires different documents. Try getting a "Thai wife visa" without a Thai marriage license and you wont get it

I have get married with a woman from Thailand I have been arrested and stay in jail for overstay in her country in Thailand, when I come back to my country Switzerland, I have ask to divorce with her because cannot make a family home. It is important for children if have in the union.

Then I have to say no to the people who come from the Thailand who want to get married with me.

ehhhhh...... gandalf ...... huh ..... wat you smoking ?

• Like 1

ehhhhh...... gandalf ...... huh ..... wat you smoking ?

I am smoking a large dose of facts, how about you?

Can you fly to HK together ? If you have proof you are inconsolably diffrent and are living apart, you post a notice at the courts then wait a week , cant remember how long then sign some papers at the lawyers then its bingo time.