Thai stock/derivatives broker?

I would like to ask TV members about their experience with Thai brokers.

I'm interested in trading online on Thai markets: stocks, bonds and traded derivatives including commodities.

I don't even know if foreigners are restricted from some markets or asset classes - I stay in Thailand on a B visa with work permit.

What are my options?

My advice, don't trade any thai derivatives as long as MR Pridiyathorn Devakula is influencing government policy as he is now with the military government.

Did you hear about the Swiss central bank last week? Well this guy did the same thing to Thailand in 2006. Single handedly caused the largest one day crash in the Thai stock market in history. Then had the audacity to say "This was not a mistake...."

Read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pridiyathorn_Devakula

Edited by Time Traveller

My advice, don't trade any thai derivatives as long as MR Pridiyathorn Devakula is influencing government policy as he is now with the military government.

Did you hear about the Swiss central bank last week? Well this guy did the same thing to Thailand in 2006. Single handedly caused the largest one day crash in the Thai stock market in history. Then had the audacity to say "This was not a mistake...."

Read about it here:

Thanks for the advice - in a former life I was a licenced derivatives trader. I'm just looking for a good broker to trade Thai markets.

Read about it here:

Thanks for the advice - in a former life I was a licenced derivatives trader. I'm just looking for a good broker to trade Thai markets.

Well then you would probably already know most thai stockbrokers are also licensed futures brokers. You can choose them from the SET website list of member companies.

Edited by Time Traveller

be careful, I lost 40 million baht in the market, 90% of my life savings..1.2 million Canadian dollars

don't get greedy is my advice, from bitter experience

I can't even come to Thailand this year, we chose to save a little money this yearwai2.gif insteadsad.png

Well then you would probably already know most thai stockbrokers are also licensed futures brokers. You can choose them from the SET website list of member companies.

I never traded the Thai market and I totally ignore everything about it.

I was also looking for advice regarding the brokers' online trading systems, if they are good? fast? how is the risk management? are all asset classes tradable, etc.

I hoped finding a TV member able to pass on his first hand experience.

be careful, I lost 40 million baht in the market, 90% of my life savings..1.2 million Canadian dollars

I can't even come to Thailand this year, we chose to save a little money this year:wai2:

That's sound advice.

For more than 10 years I watched clients - some quite professional - lose their left and then their right nut on the markets, so I know...

There are some rules to follow to avoid total shipwreck, my guess is that one needs about 20 years of investing before the right instincts develop.

yes, yes, series 3, 6, 7, blah blah blah...

i don't trust the US markets, but i guess enough to have a trading account there....FXCM needs a bailout, but trading currencies, IMO, has been a scam since day 1 for the retail joker.

Remember soros and the thai baht crisis? accounts frozen, interest rates jacked......good times....

unless you don't mind losing it all in a day......stick with home country.

I was also looking for advice regarding the brokers' online trading systems, if they are good? fast? how is the risk management? are all asset classes tradable, etc.

I can't even come to Thailand this year, we chose to save a little money this year:wai2:

That's sound advice.

For more than 10 years I watched clients - some quite professional - lose their left and then their right nut on the markets, so I know...

There are some rules to follow to avoid total shipwreck, my guess is that one needs about 20 years of investing before the right instincts develop.

And in 20 years I've never seen a broker become a successful trader. In the thai market all I can say is I would recommend new traders start in other more liquid markets before bothering with Thai derivatives.

Unless you want to stick with just equities. You really need to contact some brokers and ask them these questions. What can we tell you? We place the order then they report the fill. That's all I want from a broker. Simple and perfect for me, but maybe not for anyone looking into HFT execution or whatever it is you are after..

That's sound advice.

And in 20 years I've never seen a broker become a successful trader. In the thai market all I can say is I would recommend new traders start in other more liquid markets before bothering with Thai derivatives.

Unless you want to stick with just equities. You really need to contact some brokers and ask them these questions. What can we tell you? We place the order then they report the fill. That's all I want from a broker. Simple and perfect for me, but maybe not for anyone looking into HFT execution or whatever it is you are after..

I'm using Interactive Brokers for all my trading now.

I feel they provide a professional experience.

Of course I don't expect as good, I'm just wondering what exists.

For Thai stocks most Thai brokers will offer online.

For Thai bonds don't think you'll find it easy to get online access from a Thai broker.

For USDTHB futures, gold futures, oil futures, SET5O index and futures you can trade online on TFEX via most brokers. Above are in THB.

I use KGI.

Risk management tools are minimal.

Be prepared in case of lost internet connections, power outages etc, so have a backup access, even if just your mobile phone to internet.

Cheers

Fletch :)

That's sound advice.

You must be naieve. You think you gonna find a sex-pat who actually makes money trading here...............lol.