My Observations From Penang

First off, I had heard so many stories about how much of a dump Georgetown is, but I honestly thought the city had a certain charm to it.

I arrived on the AirAsia flight 0725-1005. AirAsia is not a luxury airline by any means. The planes are pure sheds with wings, but they are sufficient for the short flight.

After toucing down the ATM was easy to locate and the taxi a standard RM38 as was said in another thread. At the Consulate the form is short and snappy and easy to fill out. I handed in my paperwork and was done within minutes. One thing I noticed was that a number of people applying for non-im B visas are being turned down because they have everything but the WP3 (temporary work permit). As far as I know this is a new thing that the embassies around SEAsia have become strict on. The guy at the embassy did mentioned that it is possible to get a WP3 faxed.

I was refused a mtultiple entry non-im B and had to settle for a single entry 90 days which I can extend.

The fare from the embassy to Chulia was RM10. It should be 12 but you can get it for 10. The taxi drivers on Penang point blank refuse to use the meter, no matter how much you argue. I was told a number of stories by various drivers about how hard it is to make a decent living and how it is not faesible to use the meter for them. Fair enough, as the fares are not generally excessive and seem to be regulated between drivers.

I avoided the Swiss and stayed at Jim's place. RM20, decent room, fan, hot showers. The place was fine for what it was and it would be silly to complain. They also had internet and a cafe. Jim is the man about town and will sort your visa if needed. He can get anyone a visa. I met a guy who was refused entry into Thailand because his passport was too full, but Jim was able to sort him out a 60 day tourist visa which, apparently, he would have been refused on its own. So agents do have their uses, although it isn't so much hastle to get a visa on your own, providing you don't have extenuating circumstances.

There isn't much to do in Penang, but the food is fantastic. Lots of Indian restaurants, and you never end up paying more than RM10 for a good meal.

The one thing that struck me most about Penang is that there are absurd numbers of people on crutches. I'm not sure why. Foreigners and locals alike seemed to be suffering.

The people are friendly and less invasive than in Thailand. The whole place is calm and quiet and I don't see why people complain so much when they don't spend more than a couple of days there.

The taxi back to the airport was a straight up RM40, and the taxi drivers was chamring and gave me a guided tour on the way there, including the entire history of Penang. It wasn't asked for, but it was interetsing nonetheless. The driver seemed honest enough and told me how difficult it was to make a decent living using the meter. I noticed the meter was on anyway and as before was about half the fare I paid.

Fair play. A painless experience.

Edited by lopburi3

He said I wasn't allowed it until I had a work permit. I argued for a bit but he refused to budge and said I could only get single entry non-im B. With hindsight I should have gone to an agent for the multiple, but hindsight is worth precious little.

I want to edit that post and change all the 'fair's to 'fare's. But the edit button has vanished. The shame.

The 'edit' button only appears for a short time (5 minutes I think).

BTW You would also want to remove references to the 'embassy' because Penang doesn't have one. The place you visited is a consulate, the embassy is in KL :o

You are unlikely to get a multi-B anywhere in SE Asia (even with an agent) unless you already have a work permit.

Back during the period 1980-84 I used to have to visit Penang almost every 3 months. I enjoyed the place because they had not torn down all their old buildings like Bangkok. It was also a pretty sleepy place as there was no bridge and the economy had tanked, and like you said the food was good. A really interesting history and culture in my opinion. My wife and I honeymooned there in 1996 and stayed on top of the hill and on Batu Feringhi. OK, the beaches suck and the water is dirty, but only fools would visit Penang for that.

I want to edit that post and change all the 'fair's to 'fare's. But the edit button has vanished. The shame.
Not all. Keep two instances of “fair”: “Fair enough” and “Fair play”.

The edit button remains for 30 minutes, I believe.

---------------

Maestro