Sufficiency economy philosophy study now is contained in educational curricula

webfact

Sufficiency economy philosophy study now is contained in educational curricula

24-1-2558-13-27-44-wpcf_724x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Basic Education Commission (OBEC) has launched the development center to drive the sufficiency economic philosophy with plan that all education institutes will teach the sufficiency philosophy lessons in three years.

The National News Bureau of Thailand (NNT) reported that Minister of Education Admiral Narong Pipatanasai has revealed news conference that the introduction of the sufficiency economy to educational institutions will continue to drive His Majesty the King’s philosophy, allowing the students to study under this ideology.

This education program will create a good sense of moral and will prepare the students to be ready for change in all dimensions it said.

The OBEC reported that the sufficiency economy philosophy have already been introduced to education institutions through integrated management, curriculum development, and class activities since 2006.

According to the OBEC’s report, some education institutions received certification from the Ministry of Education as the model institute for teaching the sufficiency economy. Institutions receiving the certificate will be called sufficiency institutes.

The Minister of Education has said that the establishment of the sufficiency economy philosophy development center will be an important strategy to create a concrete outcome in teaching sufficiency economy development, NNTsaid.

The OBEC secretary-general Kamol Rodklai said that the sufficiency economic philosophy has been incorporated in the 2008 Basic Education Core Curriculum, appointing all schools to hold classes and activities that will teach students the economic model with a sufficient foundation.

He stated that there are up to 14,602 schools nationwide certified as model institutions for teaching sufficiency economy, while there are 39 sufficiency economy philosophy learning centers nationwide.

The OBEC has established a roadmap to qualify all schools in Thailand to be certified as sufficiency institutes, and to establish the sufficiency philosophy’s learning centers in primary and secondary educational levels in all provinces of Thailand by 2017, according to NNT.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sufficiency-economy-philosophy-study-now-contained-educational-curricula

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-24

• Like 1

Sufficiency economy is a theory. It hasn't been implemented anywhere.

Given that the kids here graduate without even the most basic understanding of world history or even Thai history - aren't there more pressing changes required to the curriculum here?

I mean how long will this take to learn anyway? A couple of hours?

• Like 1

Sufficiency economy is a theory. It hasn't been implemented anywhere.

Given that the kids here graduate without even the most basic understanding of world history or even Thai history - aren't there more pressing changes required to the curriculum here?

I mean how long will this take to learn anyway? A couple of hours?

Probably not even that long.

It's not in any western or serious economics text books and the theory is not supported by any empirical evidence.

Having 20 million farm peasants living sufficiently (ie. hand to mouth) isn't going to help the nation's future.

USA realized long ago that larger farm sizes is the way to improve output per worker. Recent data indicates they had 2.2 million farms and are the largest exporter of food in the world. Meanwhile Thailand has lower food output but probably has about 5 times as many farms as America, many with very small land holdings that kept the Thai farmers in perpetual poverty.

It's completely stupid to say this is helping anyone. Thai farms need to become more productive and the inefficient farmers need skills training to find work in other industries. When farmers and poor people aspire for more, it's an insult to tell them "just live sufficiently".

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 2

I see Thailand is trying to come into the 18th century.

One of the keys to prosperity is productivity per worker. That's why the world has mechanism, assembly lines, robotics...

I grew up on a 4,000 acre wheat and cattle ranch. 2,000 of it was wheat. 4,000 acres is 10,000 rai. There are 640 acres in a square mile.

Farms simply need to be big enough to justify mechanism.

This is what wheat harvesting looks like, and not much different than it has been my whole life.

post-164212-0-06022100-1422117165_thumb.

post-164212-0-47504600-1422117169_thumb.

• Like 1

I see Thailand is trying to come into the 18th century.

One of the keys to prosperity is productivity per worker. That's why the world has mechanism, assembly lines, robotics...

I grew up on a 4,000 acre wheat and cattle ranch. 2,000 of it was wheat. 4,000 acres is 10,000 rai. There are 640 acres in a square mile.

Farms simply need to be big enough to justify mechanism.

This is what wheat harvesting looks like, and not much different than it has been my whole life.

attachicon.gifWheat.jpg

attachicon.gifwheat2.jpg

But in the Thai curriculum the Subsistence Sufficiency Economy lesson is taught instead of the basic arithmetic lesson.

Why is sufficiency economy promoted to everyone? So you just continue to live hand to mouth on borderline poverty? Therefore where do all the billions go?

Why don't they promote instead "stand on your feet and build a rich and rewarding life for yourself by being innovative, open minded and highly educated" Maybe some of the billions may swing their way then?

• Like 1