Which area to stay in Bangkok if I LOVE FOOD? all kinds of food!

LetsTryThis

Hello, I'm a new member here. I'll be visiting Bangkok in May for a month, so I'm doing as much research as I can.I'm going to rent an apartment there. But the problem is I don't know in which area.

Here's one thing I know fo sho, I love food, all kinds of them, so My criteria. I like to stay in the area where there's a good mix of street food or night market food and restaurants, pubs, lounge, jazz clubs, malls, etc. Also there has to be a good mix of international food, Thai (of course), Japanese, Indian, Western, Chinese, Italian, French, etc.

I mean I want to stay in the area where I can go walk outside a few steps from my apartment and see all these food choices in front of me. Someone suggested Thong Lor area. I checked it out, it looks good. But is there any other area?

is the area near Siam Paragon or Central World has lots of option for street food or restaurant and lounge?

thanks in advance

Edited by LetsTryThis

Pathumwan area would be a good spot as it is close to all the Siam Square area that you mentioned, also good mass transit from there. There are apartments in both Soi Kesam San 1 & 2 that would do a month rental. That is quite a short time for an apartment so the rates will more than likely be higher than say renting and apartment for 6 months.

Hope that helps

You will find great Thai food all over Bangkok - for the more international mix being near areas such as Sathorn or Siam would be good. Suggest you look for your choice of accom, make a short list then search for accessible eating options. We are spending a month in Bangkok mainly for the eating experiences and are currently staying in a very reasonably priced apartment in Ari (not yet a popular tourist destionation) but has excellent accessible eating options.

We spent 10 nights in the Sathorn area close to Convent Road and that would meet your needs as well … and next week we are relocating to Ratchadamri which is also very accessible to the big shopping malls (so international food in cool comfort). if you go for the Banglamphu area you will get lots of variety - the area arttracts backpackers so there are hundreds of eating and drinking options and it's on the river so very accessible by ferry.

Other possibility is somewhere on Sukumvit close to a BTS station … depending on where you choose to stay you will be very well located and easily able to travel on the BTS to other parts of Bangkok.

• Like 1

thnx ctrunfree.....i think i may do what u do, move from one place to place, try different area....so far my options are thong lor, siam, silom.....i may extend my stay....i have no time commitment whatsoever other than the maximum 2-months tourist visa. .....then i'm gonna leave thailand to go to siem reap and vietnam...... if i really like bangkok/thailand, then i may come back again

If you want to experience some different Thailand we suggest Chiang Mai - we have stayed there for months at a time, it's very easy to get around and lots to see, do and eat! You can get a day or night train or fly - there are usually very cheap flights, and you can fly on from CM to many other places in Asia.

Bangkok China Town and areas around Khaosan Road . Sukhimvit and most of Silom are dull.

Dull in what sense?

Also what is great about the two areas you mentioned?

Why are Silom and Sukhimvit dull ? It is the same food. China Town and the nearby arreas have fusion and old dishes.

Thais overall do a good job cooking. They are consistent. Rarely have a bad meal anywhere iin Thailand. But if you want to explore, it is China Town.

• Like 1

thanks smokie, yes Chiang Rai is on the to visit list. will do that as short trip from Chiang Mai.

well i just thought of a problem here, I can't stand very spicy food, I hope not all Thai food are spicy lol

You love ALL type of food but can't stand "very spicy" food ?

There's a big McDonalds opposite Ekamai bus station

• Like 1

Somewhere close to Thonglor BTS. On the Thonglor road side (sukhumvit 55) there are restaurants and bars all along the road. Thai, japanese, italian, mexican, all sorts of stuff. On the other side of Sukhumvit road (suk 38), there's street stalls selling all different kinds of thai food and a burger van called Daniel Thaiger that sells some of the best burgers in Bangkok - they are usually sold out by 9pm at the latest though.

Somewhere close to Thonglor BTS. On the Thonglor road side (sukhumvit 55) there are restaurants and bars all along the road. Thai, japanese, italian, mexican, all sorts of stuff. On the other side of Sukhumvit road (suk 38), there's street stalls selling all different kinds of thai food and a burger van called Daniel Thaiger that sells some of the best burgers in Bangkok - they are usually sold out by 9pm at the latest though.

Perfect for the timid soul and palate

Bangkok China Town and areas around Khaosan Road . Sukhimvit and most of Silom are dull.

Dull in what sense?

Also what is great about the two areas you mentioned?

Why are Silom and Sukhimvit dull ? It is the same food. China Town and the nearby arreas have fusion and old dishes.

Thais overall do a good job cooking. They are consistent. Rarely have a bad meal anywhere iin Thailand. But if you want to explore, it is China Town.

The Silom walking street last night was one of the most lively , interesting and delicious night I think thousands of people had. It's every Sunday. Tons of live bands and food stalls galore. A lot of people give advice based on a visit 10 years ago. I highly suggest you go there on a Sunday night. Edited by alex8912

thanks smokie, yes Chiang Rai is on the to visit list. will do that as short trip from Chiang Mai.

well i just thought of a problem here, I can't stand very spicy food, I hope not all Thai food are spicy lol

You love ALL type of food but can't stand "very spicy" food ?

There's a big McDonalds opposite Ekamai bus station

lol, c'mon nothing in between?!? I can't stand spicy Thai food in Canada. I bet the authentic ones are even spicier, and imagine eating them in hot-humid weather. even just thinking about it making me sweat

yes thong lor sounds amazing, so my plan is to stay 2-weeks in Thong lor, 2 weeks in Silom, and 2 weeks maybe in Riverside/Siam/Sathorn, not sure yet

• Like 1

yes thong lor sounds amazing, so my plan is to stay 2-weeks in Thong lor, 2 weeks in Silom, and 2 weeks maybe in Riverside/Siam/Sathorn, not sure yet

You could just use a taxi and 15-30 minutes travel time vs.moving house every couple of weeks. BKK is big but the zones you've zeroed in are are not that far apart. BTW What are your plans for the rest of your days spent here beyond eating?

You could just use a taxi and 15-30 minutes travel time vs.moving house every couple of weeks. BKK is big but the zones you've zeroed in are are not that far apart. BTW What are your plans for the rest of your days spent here beyond eating?

yeah I could do that too just take taxis to hang out in dfferent places. as far as my plan, well I imagine I'd do some touristy stuff some days, the rest just hang out in cafe, lounge, pubs, malls, apartment swimming pool or whatever.......unfortunately I can't go out most nights on weekdays, or at least I have to be in front of computer by 9PM when office hour starts in North America.....or I could take my laptop to cafe at night....but i have to stay sober lol

I would suggest that you stay a week or so on the riverfront. Always my favourate. The water traffic is interesting to watch and the river ferries are a great way to get about. Close to the BTS and or the waterfront would be my preference. Seems like you are going to have a good time, I'm jealous.

Looked at your list and would say Sukhumvit Soi 11 has most if not all of your favourites. Has 2 outdoor Jazz restaurant bars, 3 pubs, numerous restaurants of all persuasions, the famous Cheap charlies bar etc etc

I can't think of one place I would choose to eat on Soi 11...bar maybe Limoncello.