Savannakhet Thai Consulate stop same day service 1st Feb 2015

awwwwww

Is it possible to have ONE piece of good news regarding visa these days?

Yes, the best news would be that they just let people freely enter Thailand again, so many people would come back and contribute to the ailing economy. They might realize it after it's too late.

Many Russian and even Europeans are not able to travel anymore due to the devaluation of their currency, so this would generate positive news.

"visarunner"

Name one Western country that a Thai person can "freely enter" .

Do you agree with the concept of reciprocity ?

Free "visa exempt" entries for Thai people into all Western countries ?

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 2

We got totally screwed as we had already booked flights a while back assuming I'd be able to get my visa same day. If they aren't willing to make an exception we'll have to pay a ton of fee's and stay 3 nights instead of 2. Waiting to hear back from them. I can almost guarantee that they never took into consideration that a few people would've already booked flights ahead of time. We can't even change flights because there is only 1 flight per day from Savannakhet to Bkk and it leaves at 1:15. Can't pick up visas until 2 so we'd miss the flight. Horrible inconvenience. Hopefully they'll make an exception but I doubt it and we'll have no choice but to stay another night and pay a bunch of fees. Why don't they post important policy changes like this at least a month ahead of time so that people can make proper arrangements? Ok, so that was more of a rhetorical questions, lol.

not really a big problem, no harm in an evening & night in savanakhet, food & drink is very good & range of hotels to suite all budgets. Flights never work fluidly well purely due to times/transfers. Using tour buses works well for same or next day issue of visas & is no slower & far more fluid to use.

• Like 2

I was apparently lucky to be one of the last souls for same day service. Strangely, the consulate has a brass sign indicating hours that they gave up on a while back. I was number 5 in the morning and like 150th in the afternoon. Not a major problem because there was no way to fly back to BKK until the next day.

Unfortunately when you fly, you must come the day before which is 1 night, apply for visa next day which is second night and pick up visa next day after 2:00 which basically means night number 3 because the only flight out of there to bkk leaves at 1p.m. All good. We are just going to enjoy a few nights there and chalk it up to a mini midweek vacation.

awwwwww

Is it possible to have ONE piece of good news regarding visa these days?

Sure, whereby I would suggest those who need a visa as from next week to go by the numbers on the white sheet rather

on those of the bronze plate.

Picture taken yesterday.

post-24939-0-73720200-1422672927_thumb.j

"visarunner"

Name one Western country that a Thai person can "freely enter" .

Do you agree with the concept of reciprocity ?

Free "visa exempt" entries for Thai people into all Western countries ?

Thai people can freely enter Cuba ... it is a western country

• Like 1

Thai people can freely enter Cuba ... it is a western country

I don't see Cuba on this list of countries that Thai's can enter visa exempt. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/consular-services-20120410-195410-171241.pdf

They can enter several South American countries though if those are considered western countries.

• Like 1

So the consulate moved to an other place near Savan ITEC ? Since when?

What about guest house near the new consulate?

So I have to renew my visa on Monday, I have to stay one night in Savanah ?

Thanks and sorry for my english lol

The consulate moved 4 or 5 months ago. There is a lot of info in other topics about Savannakhet.

You will have to stay at least one night in Savannakhet while they process your application.

Thanks so much Ubonjoesmile.png

So Have to stay one night in Savannakhet, the city is so boring ahahamad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qsrqHQ4roTc

That's not that boring...

I stayed there for five days because I am never in a rush while doing visaruns.

I've met a couple of friendly locales who took me for a night out ; nightlife exists but it's not spot on your face, as it is in Thailand.

By the way, visa (Non O multi) was easy peasy. cool.png

This will have some negative consequences in an attempt to get more people to spend more money in Laos. Guess Vientienne didn't like the competition and put its foot down.

Anyways, worse places to stay overnight I suppose, take some time and admire all the cool cars and trucks we can't get here in TH :)