Importing My Dog from the USA

davevi

My friend is coming on holiday to Chiang Mai next month and will be bringing my dog via a flight on Korean Air with the route of: Atlanta, Icheon South Korea, Chiang Mai.

What is the latest information/facts on what I need to do in the US and here in Chiang Mai before and after the dog arrives?

My sole experience was a chance meeting with a lady in Bangkok a while back who told me that she imported her dog from New York to Bangkok and that it was a matter of getting her dog certified for export by a vet in New York, and when the dog arrived by air a representative at the airport checked the vet certification documents, and the dog, and released her pet to her with no quarantine.

I've looked at older posts on Thai Visa, and at various websites that talk about bringing a dog in from the US to Thailand, but there doesn't seem to be any posts from someone who has done this recently, or done this directly into Chiang Mai.

If you, or someone you know first-hand, have imported a dog from the US recently into Chiang Mai can you help me by sharing your/their experience.

Thank you everyone for your help.

We imported our dog from the UK a bit of bum information is on the dept of livestock control website,You must get an import certificate from Chiang Mai live stock control NOT THE BANGKOK OFFICE as the port of entry is Chiang Mai. Depending on the value of the dog be prepared to pay duty etc .

• Like 1

We imported our dog from the UK a bit of bum information is on the dept of livestock control website,You must get an import certificate from Chiang Mai live stock control NOT THE BANGKOK OFFICE as the port of entry is Chiang Mai. Depending on the value of the dog be prepared to pay duty etc .

Thank you sappersrest. How did they assess the value of your dog? My dog is a mixed-breed mutt from the animal shelter with no "value" in her breed or pedigree. May I also ask about the process of obtaining the live stock control certificate in Chiang Mai? Should I bring a translator or are they prepared for westerners in their office?

Thank you sappersrest. How did they assess the value of your dog? My dog is a mixed-breed mutt from the animal shelter with no "value" in her breed or pedigree. May I also ask about the process of obtaining the live stock control certificate in Chiang Mai? Should I bring a translator or are they prepared for westerners in their office?

Perhaps Lucky Dogs, Ms Nienke, can help you. She is a tv sponsor, and frequently posts. 089-997-8146. Glad you love your pet enopugh to bring it here with you. Good luck.

http://www.luckydogs.info/contact-us/

My dog was a rescue dog and I told them his value was about 50 baht , they were not having any of that, so i had to pay duty on the cost of shipping.I had the import certificate sent to me in England did the process by email .

UK based airlines will not accept any animals without an import certificate from the Thai authorities not sure about USA based airlines.

The dog also must be microchipped and have an export certificate.

Bureau of Disease Control and Veterinary Services.

Department of Livestock Development, Phayathai Road, Ratchtavee Bangkok 10400.
Tel. (02) 653-4550 – 7 ต่อ 4175 Fax. (02) 653-4929
E-mail : [email protected]

If you get in touch with the above you will get the contact information for Chiang Mai DLD

really emphasise the destination port will be CNX

The DLD have an up to date website but it is in Thai only

http://www.dld.go.th/th/

If I can be of further help please PM me and I will give you my phone no.

Best of luck I know how stressful it can be.

PS our dog loves it here.

Be sure you meet and comply with Korean Air pet policy. It is on their website. They have a weight restriction of cage/dog (35 kg) which wouldn't handle a good size dog if I recall so be sure you read their policies first....

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

Im thinking of doing the same with my two dogs from the U.K would appreciate any info sappersrest

http://8milesfromhome.com/post/23668603393/exporting-a-dog-from-uk-to-thailand

A great source of info except except you need to get an import certificate from the DLD in Chaing Mai if CNX is the final port of call.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-trade/exports-non-eu/

Good luck

I brought my dog from the usa , first you must have a usda certificate from the vet stating the dog has had rabies and distempeper vacination no soomer than 21 days before departure . This needs to be filled out and sent to the usda office in your state within ten days of departure and returned to you . That was $35.00 I sent it ups overnight and included and pre paid overnight envelope to return to me. Usda ia aware that it must get back to you in that time and will process ot fast . Most vets in the us know and have the forms . We send an email to aggriculture in bangkok with our flight details and a picture of the dog. All the airline required was the usda form and we paid to have the dog ride in an approved case in the cabin. When we got to bangkok we checked in at aggrriculture paid 250 baht they check the documents and from there we stopped at customs and paid another 1000 baht . Thats all there was to it . When we booked oir tickets we informed them we were bringing a dog , we used Delta diring lay overs there were no issues . If you have any other questions in box me and I ll try to answer them ....

Edited by BB1955
  • Like 1

Yes, but the dog in in the OP's question is coming in directly to Chiang Mai, so it would be helpful if someone with CM experience could help. I think there is a Dept of Agriculture office on the road out to the airport, but I'm not much help. Surely a visit to that office could help to clear up some questions.

Another issue is that the one incoming Korean Air flight arrives at close to midnight, so there's the question of what happens to the dog if there are no local inspectors available -- but I've got to believe they have agricultural inspectors meeting every incoming international flight, wouldn't they? But can they process the paperwork necessary to admit a dog at that hour?

All issues to check out in advance. The OP's friend is very lucky to have someone already in Chiang Mai to do this checking for him.

Edited by NancyL

I brought my dog from the usa , first you must have a usda certificate from the vet stating the dog has had rabies and distempeper vacination no soomer than 21 days before departure . This needs to be filled out and sent to the usda office in your state within ten days of departure and returned to you . That was $35.00 I sent it ups overnight and included and pre paid overnight envelope to return to me. Usda ia aware that it must get back to you in that time and will process ot fast . Most vets in the us know and have the forms . We send an email to aggriculture in bangkok with our flight details and a picture of the dog. All the airline required was the usda form and we paid to have the dog ride in an approved case in the cabin. When we got to bangkok we checked in at aggrriculture paid 250 baht they check the documents and from there we stopped at customs and paid another 1000 baht . Thats all there was to it . When we booked oir tickets we informed them we were bringing a dog , we used Delta diring lay overs there were no issues . If you have any other questions in box me and I ll try to answer them ....

Thank you for the response. What was the 1000 baht fee assessed for? You say it was at customs, but what was the calculation that got to 1000 baht?

Yes, but the dog in in the OP's question is coming in directly to Chiang Mai, so it would be helpful if someone with CM experience could help. I think there is a Dept of Agriculture office on the road out to the airport, but I'm not much help. Surely a visit to that office could help to clear up some questions.

Another issue is that the one incoming Korean Air flight arrives at close to midnight, so there's the question of what happens to the dog if there are no local inspectors available -- but I've got to believe they have agricultural inspectors meeting every incoming international flight, wouldn't they? But can they process the paperwork necessary to admit a dog at that hour?

All issues to check out in advance. The OP's friend is very lucky to have someone already in Chiang Mai to do this checking for him.

It is all very easy if you contact the people in Bangkok DLD they will give you phone numbers and email contacts for DLD in Chiang Mai for import permit .If a flight arrives after normal working hours the shipper will have to pay out of hours charges for vet etc to meet the flight ,otherwise the dog will be put in the cargo warehouse until next morning. As previously stated I shipped from the UK but arrivals here is the same.

I think it is more stressful for us humans than the dog.

Do not use an on- line service. They were going to charge me $500 to handle paperwork to Mexico. Did it myself. Only needed a shot record.

You do not have to pay duty on the dog if it is a tourist . Tell customs it is here for a visit. Not all vets in USA do the usda paperwork you may have to call a few do not let them refer you to a rip off service.

That is a long flight so take advice on keeping dog healthy.

Ticks can be a problem you may wish to bring the new version of Comfortis.

There is a difference in import duties when the dog comes as cargo or as accompanied luggage. For cargo the fee is 40% of the airfare+value of the dog.
If accompanied luggage, the fee for a mix should be between 100 and 300 baht per dog. It's a bit hard to tell, as this fee so often differs. For a full-bred dog it's more, but I forgot how that calculation goes.

For clearing a pet in Chiang Mai you can get the import permit at the Animal Quarantine Station on the Huay Keaw Road, next to the police station. They are friendly, helpful and do speak English there.
Tel: 053 - 892 453
It's the whitish building right next to the police station on the left, see red arrow:
post-27646-0-06929800-1422373550_thumb.j

If the dog comes as accompanied luggage it should be okay to clear the dog/pet after working hours. But in case the dog/pet comes in as cargo, the animal has to be cleared at the cargo terminal during working hours only.
At the cargo terminal they will leave the animal in the travel crate until the animal is cleared. There is no special area for the animals.

Edited by Nienke
  • Like 1

There is a difference in import duties when the dog comes as cargo or as accompanied luggage. For cargo the fee is 40% of the airfare+value of the dog.

If accompanied luggage, the fee for a mix should be between 100 and 300 baht per dog. It's a bit hard to tell, as this fee so often differs. For a full-bred dog it's more, but I forgot how that calculation goes.

For clearing a pet in Chiang Mai you can get the import permit at the Animal Quarantine Station on the Huay Keaw Road, next to the police station. They are friendly, helpful and do speak English there.

It's the whitish building right next to the police station on the left, see red arrow:

attachicon.gifAnimal Quarantine Station.jpg

If the dog comes as accompanied luggage it should be okay to clear the dog/pet after working hours. But in case the dog/pet comes in as cargo, the animal has to be cleared at the cargo terminal during working hours only.

At the cargo terminal they will leave the animal in the travel crate until the animal is cleared. There is no special area for the animals.

Thank you. The last part about the dog coming in after hours, as accompanied luggage, and requiring no special staffing... Is this confirmed by your own experience in Chiang Mai or was the story related to you? Sorry to sound like I am splitting hairs, but I need to be sure and I don't have an official Chiang Mai government source to confirm this. The dog will arrive as checked/accompanied luggage and not as cargo and the difference in fees is substantial as well as if the dog will stay overnight or be released.

Thank you.

Thank you for the response. What was the 1000 baht fee assessed for? You say it was at customs, but what was the calculation that got to 1000 baht?

They charged me an import tax based on what they tought the value was , wife pitched a fit , I paid it , after 30 hours of travel I just wanted to find a bed...

• Like 1

attachicon.gifAnimal Quarantine Station.jpg

Thank you. The last part about the dog coming in after hours, as accompanied luggage, and requiring no special staffing... Is this confirmed by your own experience in Chiang Mai or was the story related to you? Sorry to sound like I am splitting hairs, but I need to be sure and I don't have an official Chiang Mai government source to confirm this. The dog will arrive as checked/accompanied luggage and not as cargo and the difference in fees is substantial as well as if the dog will stay overnight or be released.

Thank you.

Just called with the Korean Airline office at the airport, and they said if the dog (or other pet) arrives as accompanied luggage there will be officials at the international arrival hall for clearing the pet.

The custom procedure can take some time, an hour or more, so bring something to eat and drink, and a book or fancy phone for internet use.

Then left of the building (when facing it) there is a large parking lot where the big tourist buses often park. Behind this parking-lot there are grass-fields. There dogs can be let out to relieve themselves. But please, be careful that the dog doesn't bold out and runs of, and please, please please pick up the feces in case the dog poops. Or, chances are high sign-boards will be put up sooner than later with 'dogs not allowed', and thus spoiling it for others in similar situations big time.

• Like 1

Of all the dogs already in Thailand why on Earth bring more ? Plus very traumatic for the animals.

I always wonder with remarks like this:

does this mean that if you consider taking care a dog it will be a rescued one? That's definitely very commendable.

But does that also mean that when you would leave the country you would easily leave your 4-legged family member behind?

• Like 2

Of all the dogs already in Thailand why on Earth bring more ? Plus very traumatic for the animals.

I always wonder with remarks like this:

does this mean that if you consider taking care a dog it will be a rescued one? That's definitely very commendable.

But does that also mean that when you would leave the country you would easily leave your 4-legged family member behind?

Maybe a bit selfish of the owner. Putting his dog through the ordeal just so he can have it again. If a good owner back home is available - save the animal the stress.

I have a dog in c.m. and take considerable good care of her.

Maybe a bit selfish of the owner. Putting his dog through the ordeal just so he can have it again. If a good owner back home is available - save the animal the stress.

Come on, you've got no business whatsoever in this thread. The OP tells us the dog is coming and asks for information about to what to expect at this end. Given you obviously have nothing to offer in that regard, stifling yourself might have reduced some stress to others.

As for caring for your dog here in Chiang Mai, I accept that you likely do that; hopefully, should you decide to move, you'll care enough to consider taking the dog with you.

• Like 2

Come on, you've got no business whatsoever in this thread. The OP tells us the dog is coming and asks for information about to what to expect at this end. Given you obviously have nothing to offer in that regard, stifling yourself might have reduced some stress to others.

As for caring for your dog here in Chiang Mai, I accept that you likely do that; hopefully, should you decide to move, you'll care enough to consider taking the dog with you.

I shall sincerely try to consult you next time I wish to post on TV. I bow to your authority.

There are many assumptions in your judgement "circusman" -- all incorrect or unfounded. But this a free forum, and like all of us you can join the thread and comment at will.

I want to thank everyone for their positive comments, feedback and factual assistance with my post. This is an awesome place to turn for information and help and I am thankful that Thai Visa has such a forum. My dog will arrive just fine and with the information I learned from all of you she will have the best possible, least stressed entry into Thailand that I can plan.

smile.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Dave, for posting the results. Glad to hear it went as smooth as it did. Your posted information will certainly be helpful to others who want to bring their 4-legged family members over here.