Do I need a lawyer to sell the condo private ? No agents involved.

I will most probably sell my condo in Jomtien within a few weeks.

What are the correct guide lines for buyer and seller. Lets say the buyer transfer the money from overseas to my Thai bank account, then we'll meet at the Banglamung land office to show them proof of transfer and pay the transfer fees ? Do they speak english at the land office ? Can I download the contracts from somewhere ? Thanks.

It is indeed easy to do oneself.

If I was the buyer I would personally not transfer you the money in advance (unless I knew you well).

Usually after all the docs are presented at the LO and the tax paid (receipt due)....then it comes to a point where everything's been checked as kosher and the officer will be about to print up the new registration and they will give the buyer the nod that it's safe to pay. Wait a short while and get the amended chanot etc.

Cash or banker's cheque is normal.

The LO is unlikely to be interested in anything other than the price to calculate the transfer tax on, so you can compose a simple contract yourself.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 2

OK so I just give the land office a document that shows the agreed sales price for them to calculate the transfer fees ?

And then, when registration papers are signed the buyer will send me the money, unless he trusts me.

OK so I just give the land office a document that shows the agreed sales price for them to calculate the transfer fees ?

The Land Office has its own valuation of the property. If you tell them a lower price they will just use their price. If you tell them a higher price they will use your higher price instead.

And then, when registration papers are signed the buyer will send me the money, unless he trusts me.

In Thailand the money is normally transferred at the same time as the sale is registered, in the form of a cashiers cheque or plain cash. The reason being, or course, that "trust" is not a word generally used in connection with money matters in Thailand.

Would I sign over a property to someone without seeing the money first? The f### I would. Would I give money to anyone here before seeing my name on the chanote? The f### I would.

• Like 1

The buyer needs an FET for inward remittance in order to transfer, transferring to your bank will cause untold problems and from their side is madness no matter how well they know you. Tax is calculated on the land office price per sqm regardless of actual selling price. No lawyer required but a Thai speaking friend is always helpful

• Like 1

"What are the correct guide lines for buyer and seller."

​The seller needs to provide a letter from the condo management that the foreigner/farang ratio is within the law, and that the seller does not have any outstanding debts owed to the condo. Acute Realty has an online calculator for taxes and fees. Things will go a lot better if you have someone who speaks Thai with you.