When sterling devalued in 2008/2009........ How did you reshape your lifestyle here ?

some years back when John Major was PM the pound plummeted to about Bt36? I was devastated but held on and in 2004 I sold all my pounds

(GBP 200,000) at Bt73. So really you never can tell. With the money we built a house and invested some in the Thai Stock market. The Thai baht is a pretty good currency to be in if you live here.

• Like 1

Happily our investments were largely no-longer in the UK, but our net-wealth still fell significantly in the crash, so we cut back on our living-costs & luxury-spending, but ring-fenced our childrens' education. No regrets there !

I still fly with the cheaper airlines, instead of the better Gulf-based ones or direct-flights, wouldn't anyone put their family ahead of their own temporary comfort or convenience ?

My car is now 12-years-old & over 200k km, so what, I don't care about face !

We never did get a family-trip to Aussie/Kiwiland, or that cruise up the coast of Alaska, never had it so didn't miss it.

I read more of my own books, for a 2nd/3rd time, but still visit the book-exchange occasionally.

Family & wat got fewer hand-outs.

To sum up, you can still have a pretty-good life, for less ! It sure beats going back to work & taxes ! rolleyes.gif

Great post Ricardo, a straight guy with common sense and outlook on life.

Sterling didn't devalue, it just went down in value. Not the same thing.

The OP's solutions are simply cutting back on expenditure after the horse has bolted, which is not exactly difficult to work out.

The time to consider action is when one's home currency is strong. That is the opportune time to shift assets, in anticipation of worse times ahead.

exactly right sw.seems like the op.never done any homework in his school days.

Sit back and wait for the baht to drop like a stone then move your saving over . I move my income over when ever I see the £ gaining this week has been poor but I expect better in the coming weeks seeing as the PM has now announced that Martial Law is to be stepped up !! Uncertain times for Thailand !!!!

• Like 2

cheesy.gif

when Sterling dropped i was totally flabbergasted and dumbstruck thinking of my poor British friends who live in Thailand and their suffering. it was a big relief when my wife told me to cheer up because i don't have any British friends who live in Thailand.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Naam u crack me up!! and Im a Brit (sorry), still good job the wife was there to tell you or the suffering may have continued for???? minutes? seconds?

In 2008 I transferred 25000 sterling to Thailand to buy a house in Chiang Mai but the deal fell through due to a crooked lawyer. When I transferred the money to Thailand I got 68 Bahts to the pound but after the crash I sent the money back to the UK and I bought the pounds back for 48 Bahts each. Do the maths and even after losing the 10% deposit I still made a profit. So timing is very important and you have to be a bit lucky as well, but it could have gone the other way. So using the profits I furnished a rented house here in Chiang Mai and gave up on any ideas about buying a house again.

Sterling didn't devalue, it just went down in value. Not the same thing.

The OP's solutions are simply cutting back on expenditure after the horse has bolted, which is not exactly difficult to work out.

The time to consider action is when one's home currency is strong. That is the opportune time to shift assets, in anticipation of worse times ahead.

Terminology brigade are out again, play on words with the same outcome. Fixed exchange rates devalue and floating exchange rates depreciate but at the end of the day the currency is worth less in respect to the chosen reference.

The OP was obviously referring to the relationship between the British Pound and the Thai Baht

• Like 1

I only had 20% of my net worth in GBP so i didn't have to reshape anything...its called diversity

Yes, diversify and always spend less than you make, which means you save and invest, wisely I hope. That is why I still have money after all these years. So, when the recessions hit--in the early seventies, late eighties, and 2007-8--only my net worth took a dive; my lifestyle stayed the same. It may be too late for you old farts, but is good advice for the younger ones.

• Like 1

I only had 20% of my net worth in GBP so i didn't have to reshape anything...its called diversity

Yes, diversify and always spend less than you make, which means you save and invest, wisely I hope. That is why I still have money after all these years. So, when the recessions hit--in the early seventies, late eighties, and 2007-8--only my net worth took a dive; my lifestyle stayed the same. It may be too late for you old farts, but is good advice for the younger ones.

Good advice for any age

Quite wrong of course. For a significant number of old farts assets have appreciated and lifestyle has inevitably taken a definitive dive. The younger ones, b'stards, are younger and are advised to stay the same.