Which of Phangan's beaches allow year round swimming?

Hello,

I am thinking on leasing/buying a 1 rai land (min 10 meters of beachfront) on one of Phangan's beaches to build myself a nice house.

The location of the beach on the island is not important for me, all I care about is that the beach remains a beach all year round :) as I know that some beaches tend to run away during low tides and you need binoculars to find it...

As I only visited Phangan several times and never stayed more than 2 months each time, I lack the first hand knowledge on which beaches have extreme changes in High vs low tide, all I know is what I see in photos over the internet.

Ofcours that I will spend more time in Phangan now but information from the people who live there for years and know about the tide changes would be extremely helpful in choosing on which beaches to focus and which to avoid (i.e. Hin Kong) because it takes time to find the right place.

Thank you very much for your help!

Anywhere on the Eastern side, from Sunrise Beach (Full Moon Party) in Had Rin to Bottle Beach. The reef (which creates trouble during low tides) stretches from Western Had Rin (Sunset Beach) to Coral Bay East of Chaloklum. Chaloklum itself has good swimming 12 months a year though, and Mae Had in NW isn't that bad either.

As pointed out above, the days of cheap seafront land are long gone.

Edited by AngThong
  • Like 2

Thank you both for your reply.
Do you by any chance know what should I expect to pay for 1 rai on a beach like Chaloklum? (either buying it or 10-15 years lease)

What important for me is that the land would have at least 10 meters of beachfront so even half rai (10m X 80m) would be fantastic but I don't think it would be very realistic.

Thank you!

Do you by any chance know what should I expect to pay for 1 rai on a beach like Chaloklum? (either buying it or 10-15 years lease)

What important for me is that the land would have at least 10 meters of beachfront so even half rai (10m X 80m) would be fantastic but I don't think it would be very realistic.

Thank you!

I can't claim to know, but I really wonder if that'd be feasible in Chaloklum. All of the seafront is in use, either by the village or the resorts surrounding it, so you'd have to buy land from one of them.

I'm not a massive connoisseur, but my limited experience suggests that the kind of people buying seafront property on Phangan and building a house on it aren't the kind of people I'd want to hang out with. Just my $0.02.

Edit: Not suggesting anything about you... It's just that I've noticed that private seafront property on Phangan tends to belong to people with big black cars with toned windows and a preference for plenty of barbed wire.

Edited by AngThong

Yes the poster AngTong is correct, the West Coast, although very beautiful and having the sunset views has quite low water in the middle of the day for around half the year, although there are spots you can swim all year round there - behind Laem Son lake being one.

The East coast has deeper water year round due to a deeper reef system. This side of the island is also more rugged and wild and less developed and some areas are only accessible via boat, or dirt track roads if you are lucky. Still it is VERY beautiful.

Any small sea front plots for sale are quite hard to find now and at a premium as has already been mentioned. On average beach front here (koh Phangan) is sold at 10-12 million baht per rai. I know of one plot, concrete road to sea, although a little bit rocky seafront, for sale at 6m baht per rai but the plot is nearly 6 rai and will not split...

If you would like to pursue some beachfront land seriously you can PM me with your email and I can try to assist you...12 years experience here has got me some good contacts and knowledge wai2.gif

• Like 1

You will need to buy land in thong nai pan or the east coast side of the island had yao East ect. Good luck buying beach land in these areas unless your very wealthy..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Impossible, I tried and they don't sell, it seems that all of them will keep their land forever...

You will need to buy land in thong nai pan or the east coast side of the island had yao East ect. Good luck buying beach land in these areas unless your very wealthy..

Yes I agree and believe you the land is basically not for sale down the east coast not for residential anyway maybe big hotel chain tho! ....a sensible option would be go to mainland start in khanom sichon ect great beach front land to be had perfect for a home good roads good swimming happy days.pop over to phangan now and then for a break and change of scenery

Impossible, I tried and they don't sell, it seems that all of them will keep their land forever...

Thank you!

I can't claim to know, but I really wonder if that'd be feasible in Chaloklum. All of the seafront is in use, either by the village or the resorts surrounding it, so you'd have to buy land from one of them.

I'm not a massive connoisseur, but my limited experience suggests that the kind of people buying seafront property on Phangan and building a house on it aren't the kind of people I'd want to hang out with. Just my $0.02.

Edit: Not suggesting anything about you... It's just that I've noticed that private seafront property on Phangan tends to belong to people with big black cars with toned windows and a preference for plenty of barbed wire.

"I'm not a massive connoisseur ..."

Good heavens. What's a massive connoisseur??

Edited by Suradit69