PM Prayut shrugs off US diplomat's 'snub'

webfact

Prayuth Shrugs Off US Diplomat's 'Snub'
By Khaosod English

14222686931422269222l.jpg
Assistant Secretary of State for Asia-Pacific affairs Daniel Russel meeting with Thai Minister of Foreign Affairs, Gen. Thanasak Patimaprakorn, on 26 Jan 2015.

BANGKOK — Thai junta leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha says he understands why US diplomats are reluctant to meet with him in person.

The junta chairman was responding to a reporter who asked him to comment on the news that a US State Department official was meeting with two former Prime Ministers in Thailand today, but not the current one.

"Why would they come to meet me? They aren't meeting with me because they know how I came to power,” explained Gen. Prayuth, who assumed the premiership last year after toppling an elected government in a military coup on 22 May 2014.

"Politics is politics," he said.

The US government has criticized Gen. Prayuth's military takeover and announced that cooperation between Thai and American authorities will be suspended in some areas until democratic rule is restored in the Kingdom.

However, the two nations continue to work together on many other vital issues, Gen. Prayuth said today.

"Regarding economics, they still trade with us. They still do military drills with us. They can separate these issues, but we still mix them together," Gen. Prayuth said.

He added, "Today, many countries are trading with us normally. Some countries oppose us and disagree with us, but they still trade with us."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1422268693

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-26

"America, you can project whatever image you want to the newspapers, but you'd better start placing bigger gifts on the table for us, China is doing things the right way, they're handing out better gifts than you, we don't need to be under your sphere of influence because we've got China, but bigger gifts from you might mean we'ill stay neutral".

Is this what the Thai government is trying to say ?

I guess by the comments the other posters failed to see that this US politician was really here to meet with other ex PMs. It makes you wonder why and to whom they would be wanting to talk to other than the person running the country regardless of how he came to be PM. There was rumors as to why the US supported Thak and YL with secret money and military deals. Just speculating buy wouldn't it be ironic if they are trying to offer financing to retake the country or amnesty to flee their under political harassment?

Either way and if none applied I would not be letting the talk to any ex Pm if I was the current leader.

Whoever put this news up needs to be censored or re-educated in a camp.

No one forces you to read it.

Stop clogging up every post with endless trolling posts. Between you, Djjamie and Rubl, every single thread goes the same direction. It`s boring,

You forget Costas...

Whoever put this news up needs to be censored or re-educated in a camp.

No one forces you to read it.

Stop clogging up every post with endless trolling posts. Between you, Djjamie and Rubl, every single thread goes the same direction. It`s boring,

I must protest, my dear tully. Looking at the comments of our dear member chutthee he seems the only troll, attacking or praising either side inconsistently as he seems to see 'fit'.

As for 'same direction', that might be the direction you do not agree with ?

• Like 2

"America, you can project whatever image you want to the newspapers, but you'd better start placing bigger gifts on the table for us, China is doing things the right way, they're handing out better gifts than you, we don't need to be under your sphere of influence because we've got China, but bigger gifts from you might mean we'ill stay neutral".

Is this what the Thai government is trying to say ?

The Thai army isn't interested in Chinese guns, planes or boats. They want their kids in western colleges driving mercedes.

They will befriend the Chinese for a while. Then, it will change like the tide.

I guess by the comments the other posters failed to see that this US politician was really here to meet with other ex PMs. It makes you wonder why and to whom they would be wanting to talk to other than the person running the country regardless of how he came to be PM. There was rumors as to why the US supported Thak and YL with secret money and military deals. Just speculating buy wouldn't it be ironic if they are trying to offer financing to retake the country or amnesty to flee their under political harassment?

Either way and if none applied I would not be letting the talk to any ex Pm if I was the current leader.

Plus anyone who believes the PM is snubbed seems to forget that the US diplomat surely provided an itinerary (places to go, people to meet) BEFORE he came here. The Thai government granted him permission.

Plus anyone who believes the PM is snubbed seems to forget that the US diplomat surely provided an itinerary (places to go, people to meet) BEFORE he came here. The Thai government granted him permission.

100% snub no matter how you try to spin it.

BTW Which opposition politicians did he meet with? Won't be Yingluck, she is banned, convenient?

• Like 1

Tin foil. It isn't just for cooking anymore.

• Like 1

At least for the first time General Prayuth doesn't try to fool anyone with the "US doesn't understand" or "US needs to understand" mockery.

But Prayuth can take comfort in that he conquered a nation to become its leader. Obama only got his nation's majority vote. Prayuth has so much more reason for his pride.

Meanwhile Obama has to fly away with all speed to grovel to the latest dictator of a country where they just chopped an innocent Burmese womans' head off in the street like an animal. "Hypocrisy" does not even begin to describe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by arunsakda

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Meanwhile Obama has to fly away with all speed to grovel to the latest dictator of a country where they just chopped an innocent Burmese womans' head off in the street like an animal. "Hypocrisy" does not even begin to describe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you believe in the "rule of law?"

100% snub no matter how you try to spin it.

BTW Which opposition politicians did he meet with? Won't be Yingluck, she is banned, convenient?

As for the BTW I asked the same question in the topic of "Ms. Yingluck meeting the US Envoy as that had

"The meeting was part of the US initiative to meet and hear the views of all political groups regarding the political situation here."

I understand that Mr. Russel has met with Abhisit and with the MoFA Gen. Tanasak. No further news or at least I didn't see some. Also no news on all the other political parties. Just wondering if the party of former MP Gen Sonthi will also be consulted rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl