PM Prayut shrugs off US diplomat's 'snub'

webfact

Quote: "Nearly 30 people were killed in the six months of anti-government protests that preceded the 22 May coup. Gen. Prayuth has insisted that it was necessary for the military to step in to prevent further bloodshed between the protesters and rival pro-government demonstrators, who were also holding mass rallies in Bangkok at the time. "

Nearly 30 people were killed in 6 months so it was absolutely correct to step in and stop further bloodshed and deaths.

More than this are killed daily on Thai roads - when can we expect to see action being taken to reduce this?

Sidenote: if not for the protests, I doubt very much that there would have been these nearly 30 deaths

Interesting.

So because cars kill more people we should just ignore the terrorist attacks and let them go unabated while we concentrated on the vehicle accidents?

Cancer is the leading cause of death in Thailand. So we should again ignore the daily terrorist attacks in Bangkok, let them go unabated, walk over the dead so we can cure cancer first?

Now Gwell - Maybe let the terrorist attacks continue and if you had a child that was killed at the hands of the red shirts we can tell you "Sorry, but alcohol causes more death in Thailand so we have to address this first"

Those are heartless words that again defend the undefendable terrorists and try to downplay the innocent lives lost because the PTP did nothing about it.

Defending terrorism by downplaying it. Wonderful.

And then…AND THEN to rub it in it is the protestors fault that the terrorists came out and killed them!!! Are you serious?

I weep for your future mate. That is the dangerous fundamentalist mindset that should stay in Syria and Afghanistan. It does not under any circumstances belong in Thailand or any civilized country for that matter.

That was like one of your peers telling me that if I didn't like living near a terrorist cell in Khon Kaen I should move to a new province or country!!

Next you will be cheering the dead at the hands of terrorist. Your half what there now by defending them and of course it is only ever red shirts or PTP fanboys that defend terrorists.

What have you been eating / drinking / smoking my dear James?

I'm not downplaying anything. Your esteemed leader himself declared that avoidable deaths cannot be tolerated and brought the whole force of the armed forces to resolve the issue. Well done and kudos.

However, if one has a logical and reasonable mind, one would say that if there were no protestors on the streets in the first instance, no protestors would be killed, comprende?

Secondly, road accidents kill a lot more than 30 persons a day. Most of these deaths are avoidable. Shouldn't something be done reduce the death toll on the roads?

p/s: try not to deflect James, just answer the questions, pure and simple

However, if one has a logical and reasonable mind, one would say that if there were no protestors on the streets in the first instance, no protestors would be killed, comprende?

And if no kids were in this world in the first instance we would have no pedophilia. Comprehend?

​As I said, I weep for you logic.

• Like 1

Quote: "Nearly 30 people were killed in the six months of anti-government protests that preceded the 22 May coup. Gen. Prayuth has insisted that it was necessary for the military to step in to prevent further bloodshed between the protesters and rival pro-government demonstrators, who were also holding mass rallies in Bangkok at the time. "

Nearly 30 people were killed in 6 months so it was absolutely correct to step in and stop further bloodshed and deaths.

More than this are killed daily on Thai roads - when can we expect to see action being taken to reduce this?

Sidenote: if not for the protests, I doubt very much that there would have been these nearly 30 deaths

What utter bol....ks!!

If the army had done its job and protected the constitution (and the electorate who pay their salaries) by stopping

Suthep's mob there would've been no need for a coup. Not that there ever was.

World leaders should snub coup leaders. End of.

When the government before Yingluck used the army to get rid of terrorist mingling with protesters all were condemning such move. The police should have been involved. Now it Yingluck should have orderec the army while the police was on her hand.

Somewhat inconsistent, I'd say.

What utter bol....ks!!

If the army had done its job and protected the constitution (and the electorate who pay their salaries) by stopping

Now if only the Minister of Defense had ordered them?

But mind you the protestors DID represent the majority when looking at the resistance to the amnesty bill

So it looks like yingluck was an ineffective leader by not commanding her army and her majority was in fact not her majority, but in fact the opposition to the amnesty bills majority.

Care to rebut this or would you prefer to change the subject and suggest I live in Brisbane and am 109 years old!!!

Edited by djjamie

American stupidity at its best?

Will not meet with General Prayuth but will meet with one of his appointee ministers Gen. Thanasak Patimaprakorn who is commander of the thai armed forces...lol...classic

​That obviously also went over, or is that vacantly through, the head of the usual TV posters.

• Like 1

" Why would they meet with me? They arent meeting with me because they know how I came to power".........ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HCxvlbix7X

What does that mean?

It means the "PM" thinks the USA doesn't like him because of the way he came to power via the coup. The thing about this coup is remember the USA response back in 2006 when Thaksin was overthrown? There was hardly a peep from the USA. I don't think any sanctions were applied at that time.

" Why would they meet with me? They arent meeting with me because they know how I came to power".........ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HCxvlbix7X

What does that mean?

It means the "PM" thinks the USA doesn't like him because of the way he came to power via the coup. The thing about this coup is remember the USA response back in 2006 when Thaksin was overthrown? There was hardly a peep from the USA. I don't think any sanctions were applied at that time.

The same things and statements were applied then as now. The difference is the road map was clear by this point when elections were going to be held so no real sabre rattling. Also the last junta wasn't trying to cozy up to other powers and traveling to other countries as Prayut is.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

US and Saddam Hussein were real buddies for a couple of decades, economically and militarily.

True democracies make real friends.

You make joke, Da?

Iran and Iraq were at war and the US in a little payback to Iran for its US Embassy takeover years before supported Sadaam's fight against Iran.

Surely you are familiar with the old adage, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Also, please be reminded that Sadaam's relationship with the US was literally "the death of him." Maybe not so nice to have American friends.

On the front page of the Bangkok Post the headline is:

US raps 'Curbs on Freedom' to explain why they wouldn't meet Prayuth.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the page:

'US jails ex-CIA man for media leaks'

'Google gave wikileaks emails to the US'

Ironic that the US Goverment bleats so much about FREEDOM while doing all that they can to quietly, unobtrusively curb free speech.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not just a snub but a full on reprimand in the lecture that US State Dept Official Russell gave at Chula Uni today. I bet the yellow shirt PDRC academics in the audience were seething.

"We are concerned about the significant restraints on freedoms since the coup," he said. "Ending marital law throughout the country and removing restrictions of speech and assembly – these would be important steps as part of genuinely inclusive reform process that reflects the broad diversity of views within the country."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1422273247&typecate=06&section

"Broad diversity of views?" Amb. Kenney seemed to be concerned only with the views of YL's government.

China opens its arms and doesn't care either way and this is China's backyard.

Kenney seemed to be concerned only with the views of an elected Thai government. As was President Obama.

post-171049-0-46633400-1422320401_thumb.

Edited by rickirs

Typically arrogant, impolite, and totally rude behaviour of Washington. High time they learned all the facts as to why we currently have this excellently run military junta Government and while it will and should remain until proper democracy can be returned, which is after all their aim. NO I am not US bashing at all but I am Washington bashing, and also bashing most other US puppet nations like the UK and much of the EU who are not much if at all any better.

One point that needs clearly bearing in mind is that the US currently and truly do not have real democracy anyway, as their Government ( it seems no matter which party is in power) is almost totally controlled by, and works for, the fat cat corporates and minority elite and NOT for the people at all. Compare that to here where our current albeit unelected Thai Government certainly seems to care far more about peoples' happiness and promoting fairness than corruptly supporting dictatorial style corporate greed and fat cat self gratification. I can only hope when sensible democracy is restored here it will be as good as this if not better. Certainly I hope it will be nothing like as bad as the current US "democracy".

Edited by rayw
  • Like 2

Not just a snub but a full on reprimand in the lecture that US State Dept Official Russell gave at Chula Uni today. I bet the yellow shirt PDRC academics in the audience were seething.

"We are concerned about the significant restraints on freedoms since the coup," he said. "Ending marital law throughout the country and removing restrictions of speech and assembly – these would be important steps as part of genuinely inclusive reform process that reflects the broad diversity of views within the country."

"Broad diversity of views?" Amb. Kenney seemed to be concerned only with the views of YL's government.

China opens its arms and doesn't care either way and this is China's backyard.

Kenney seemed to be concerned only with the views of an elected Thai government. As was President Obama.

attachicon.gifObamaAbhisit.jpg

But now it's all sides. The writing was on the wall before. Now China is in the picture and it's all sides. You would think this is the first coup in Thailand.

Edited by Old Man River

If the USA would be concerned about democracy in Thailand they have to take steps to show they mean it.

I am thinking about economical sanctions (stop importing Thai rice, chicken, pottery and seafood) and stopping military cooperation,

but even more efficient would be freezing the international assets of the dictator and the establishment that supports him.

The USA doesn't dare to do this, because they know it would drive Thailand even more into the hands of China.
No matter how you look at it - there's no way we as the West can return democracy to the Thai people - even more because most Thai people couldn't care less about democracy.

Meeting with Yingluck does nothing more than adding fuel to the fire.

It's a waste of time. Prayut couldn't care less. He's here to stay - that's clear.

Edited by kriswillems

""When an elected leader is deposed from office, then impeached by the authority that implemented the coup — and is being targeted with criminal charges while basic democratic processes and institutions are interrupted, the international community is left with the impression that these steps could, in fact, be politically driven," Russel

He did not know a thing.

YL was not impeached by the junta. He was impeached by the Thai people.

YL was alleged guilty with corruption and stealing 500 Billion of the poor farmers money. This will be proven later by Thai judges representing the Thai people, not by junta.

What are the chances that PM Prayuth will follow the advice of his country's closest ally and great protector? Zero - Ending martial law and allowing freedom of speech would allow the vast majority of anti coup citizens to express their views and opinions. No way he'll let that happen.

Or you could say it would allow the vast majority of anti coup leaders to express their views and build up tension between Thai people again. and the innocent may be caught in the cross fire

Unlike you…. No way My family wants this to happen.

It

What utter bol....ks!!

When the government before Yingluck used the army to get rid of terrorist mingling with protesters all were condemning such move. The police should have been involved. Now it Yingluck should have orderec the army while the police was on her hand.

Somewhat inconsistent, I'd say.

Nice try. No fan of the Shins myself. However, respect the voters. Are you one? If not, how do you thnk Thais feel knowing that some farangs are junta cheerleaders? Considering PT (or whatever name they have to take after bewing banned) will win every election. End of story.

Before I get sidetracked, back to the big problem with your 'point'. One was democratically elected (and therefore had a mandate) and one a general ruling only due to the fact he controls tanks, soilders and guns. He rules by fear. What part of'Junta' don't you get?

Somewhat selective in your argument, some would say.

How many reds were shot dead by the army (again)?

You're right, we get sidetracked from the truth into a world as some tell us we should see it.

• Like 1

Interesting.

So because cars kill more people we should just ignore the terrorist attacks and let them go unabated while we concentrated on the vehicle accidents?

Cancer is the leading cause of death in Thailand. So we should again ignore the daily terrorist attacks in Bangkok, let them go unabated, walk over the dead so we can cure cancer first?

Now Gwell - Maybe let the terrorist attacks continue and if you had a child that was killed at the hands of the red shirts we can tell you "Sorry, but alcohol causes more death in Thailand so we have to address this first"

Those are heartless words that again defend the undefendable terrorists and try to downplay the innocent lives lost because the PTP did nothing about it.

Defending terrorism by downplaying it. Wonderful.

And then…AND THEN to rub it in it is the protestors fault that the terrorists came out and killed them!!! Are you serious?

I weep for your future mate. That is the dangerous fundamentalist mindset that should stay in Syria and Afghanistan. It does not under any circumstances belong in Thailand or any civilized country for that matter.

That was like one of your peers telling me that if I didn't like living near a terrorist cell in Khon Kaen I should move to a new province or country!!

Next you will be cheering the dead at the hands of terrorist. Your half what there now by defending them and of course it is only ever red shirts or PTP fanboys that defend terrorists.

Why not? seeing as you have never acknowledged that terrorism isn't just a Red thing, it's a global thing, and you once again show your true colours by being disingenuous to all those innocents who have lost their lives through acts of terrorism down in the South !!!!!

Comparing terrorism to cancer.. especially seeing as I have lost my parents to cancer, and close personal friends to terroris, or, not your isolated random acts of a group that's not even on the International terror list, but hey, you know better as you apparently were threatened by them in Khon Kaen, as was your family, but YOU chose to stay, so either the threat was a figment of your imagination and a story you've made up to garner sympathy or you really didn't give a rats ass about you or your family's safety by staying put it's weird that tens of thousands of Syrians, and latterly Iraqi chose to flee when hardcore terrorists in the form of ISIS decided to threaten and intimidate, but you? You are the hard case, you chose to stay and give the UDD the finger?? Not a single person can corroborate your claims, and it doesn't appear any other farang who lives in KK who's a TVF member was threatened or their family threatened either!! ... You're a Walter Mitty Jamie.

Even in that sentence when you used cancer and terrorism as a comparison, you still couldn't bring yourself around to mention that terrorism is STILL HAPPENING DAILY despite the Junta being in power, so have they stopped the acts of terrorism? No they <deleted> haven't!!! When the Islamic extremists down South either pack it all in, which they will never do, then Terrorism in Thailand is here to stay, it matters not if it's in the South, or isolated to Bangkok, it's still going on, your beloved hero didn't do jack shit down there when he was Commander in Chief, and hasn't stopped it since his little clique stepped in last May!!!

Then you have a go at Gwill for using heartless words, well YOU didn't have a child killed, nor were related to any of those victims, so you are in no position morally to preach, just who the <deleted> do you think you are?

as for defending Terrorism, when you've had to pull the remains of friends from destroyed vehicles and seen countless friends die at the hands of terrorist, then and only then are you in a position to preach, guys like you who sit in the safety of their homes acting like they're some kind of expert actually make me sick to my stomach, when you simply haven't got a clue!!!!

Lets move onto your callous comments too, who actually used the words "rub it in" ...apart from you, but still you don't seem to grasp that had their not been any protests then there wouldn't have been any attacks, that's simple human logic, something you apparently have missing with your constant condescending and belittling posts.

You shout about the principals of democracy and yet swoon over the Junta, and idolise the leader of the coup, like it's something to be proud of, you ain't a Thai, and you never will be, you're adulation for a man who broke the law, and gave himself and his clique amnesties is unfathomable, and yet you bleat on and on an on about teaching your family and friends about democracy, a democracy you put in such a passionate post that you missed it and loved it so much, and yet you chose to live in Thailand? you're full of it, democracy lovers do NOT agree with, nor support Military Juntas, or Coups....period, so either you're a Thai wannabe, or an out and out lying bullshitter!!. I'll let the forum members make their minds up.

There's so many inconsistencies in a lot of your posts you had me convinced at one point you really were living in KK, but I actually seriously have my doubts.

You really are a basket case, when you say you weep for Gwill, just who in the <deleted> do you think you are? Mother Theresa? You seriously believe the <deleted> you write don't you? You think Gwill or any other TVF member gives a rats ass about your pretentious and pious posts? And yet you cry like a baby when you think someone is belittling and condescending, and yet your posts are full of belittling and condescending comments. I think you do it on purpose, as you're not the full shilling, a few papaya short of a som tam!!

you're fooling nobody with your jingoisitic propaganda style "I love the Junta crap" .. I couldn't care less about the PTP, or the Shins, but when I see farangs who are so wrapped up in a world where they have no say, no input and Thai's don't give a shit about your opinions, then I weep for them, as they actually believe they are more Thai than the Thais, but it's tears of laughter, as the only people they're kidding is themselves...

but you Jamie, you take it to a whole new level!! I pity you, and your kids I'd rather my kids grew up with traditional values, and not have some farang with an over inflated ego about himself attempt to teach them something they don't really give a shit about, and that's democracy!!!

"I pity you, and your kids"

Imitation is the best form of flattery my dear friend.

as for defending Terrorism, when you've had to pull the remains of friends from destroyed vehicles and seen countless friends die at the hands of terrorist, then and only then are you in a position to preach,

So did they cure cancer in this location as a priority before stopping the terrorist attacks because cancer kills more people?

You should know better then. Shame on you.

And you still cannot bring yourself around to admit that there has been a terrorist issue in Thailand, as Yep the South is still the same Thailand that you claim to have been threatened in, can you, as all you seem to think is that the UDD are the only perpetrators of such acts?

How many kids have lost their lives through the Civil War and acts of terrorism down in the South Jamie? but you only show apathy for the ones killed in Bangkok and Trat? ... I think I know who should be the one feeling shame, as I have since day one acknowledged that terrorism isn't and never has been a single groups claim/responsibility..

I feel no shame as I have always been aware that there was never a threat of a civil war, as it was already ongoing, and that terrorism had been killing innocent lives in Thailand for over 10 years, over 5,000 deaths which you seem to dismiss as it wasn't done by the UDD!!

I have no time for any organisation that supports and/or conducts acts of terror, I'm extremely impartial, like I said, don't bother weeping for me, I really don't need your single narrow minded opinions, I notice you are claiming you're out in Sudan, and not a single peep about the Politics out there, and the war that rages between North and South, and the pointless loss of lives, but yet you put the UDD scumbags up there with the likes of ISIS.. Naive, 100% naive, as for imitating you, I'd rather pluck my eyes out with a spoon and wash the sockets with petrol than be anything like you!!! wink.png

Ummm OK.

as for defending Terrorism, when you've had to pull the remains of friends from destroyed vehicles and seen countless friends die at the hands of terrorist, then and only then are you in a position to preach,

So did they cure cancer in this location as a priority before stopping the terrorist attacks because cancer kills more people?

Gwell rationalized the terrorist attacks y comparing it too car accidents stating they Junta have done nothing about that. I have seen you write along these shameful, heartless lines as well.

SO did they cure cancer in the locations you supposedly saw friends die at the hands of terrorists? Should they have cured cancer there first? I bet there were a lot of car accidents in this location as well.

Might be time to be thankful that there are no more innocent lives lost in Bangkok committed with impunity by the government.

Your are a funny a DEM supporter my friend.

Take care, calm down, relax. I see the hatred and frustration in your sentences since the PTP and there terrorist element have been held accountable.

Time to celebrate the downfall of the unelelected accused terrorists, accused mass murderer and convicted criminal fugitives regime my friend.

Lets see how many car accidents in the South and see if we can downplay those terrorist attacks next heay! BUT then the UDD are not behind those so there is no agenda ergo those cannot be defended.

I pity you my friend and I fear your mindset.

Edited by djjamie

'"Politics is politics," he said.'

Comerse is Comerse

Somehow I think a dialogue between the new leader and the USA had already taken place. The PM understands the public position the USA must practice. The USA can not be seen as accepting martial law in Thailand but condemning it in Egypt. The USA has to pretend to treat all countries under martial law the same.