No contract or work permit... Repercussions of quitting?

Hello all,
The title really states my question fairly clearly. I've been working for a school the past month and it hasn't been at all what I expected (posted about this previously). Long story short, I was promised curriculum, lesson plans, etc, but nothing was given to me. I'm expected to come up with my own lesson plans "from my culture".
On top of that, my boss closely micromanages all my classes. They constantly tell me everything that they feel I do wrong (in front of the students) and take over the class speaking in Thai and broken English.... all while reminding me to "smile". I'm pretty done.

I realized a few days back that while I was shown a contract before I started, they still haven't had me sign a darn thing (something about the head office being backed up). Furthermore, they didn't give me a work permit.

So, moral obligations to the students and boss aside, can I just walk?

Thanks!

Edited by elVagabundo

Yep, get on out of there. Toxic work environment for sure. Criticizing you in front of your kiddos is a deal-breaker, and something I hear about far too often being done here. I find this doubly strange as they have a "face" culture and I doubt would do that to each other.

"I find this doubly strange as they have a "face" culture and I doubt would do that to each other. "

Obviously, if you read through a few threads on Thai Visa, "they" aren't the only ones worried about losing face.

"Criticizing you in front of your kiddos is a deal-breaker..."

... as your comment demonstrates. The perception, and it often nothing more than a perception, of loss of face is even a bigger deal for farang than for "them."

"I find this doubly strange as they have a "face" culture and I doubt would do that to each other. "

Obviously, if you read through a few threads on Thai Visa, "they" aren't the only ones worried about losing face.

"Criticizing you in front of your kiddos is a deal-breaker..."

... as your comment demonstrates. The perception, and it often nothing more than a perception, of loss of face is even a bigger deal for farang than for "them."

Ah the hallmark posting of a dedicated Thai LowSo wanna be HiSo managerial class sort of person, indeed your ongoing xenophobia and arrogance is not something to be admired.

• Like 2

People will get ripped off no matter who or where you

are, unfortunately we are obliged to lower our standards

to theirs but they want our knowledge and expertise,

i refuse to bend over, i won't do it, maybe in your case

it was them telling you who was boss, so man up, get

your pay and be like a wombat....eats roots and leaves.

And oh,,,, don't forget to smile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"On top of that, my boss closely micromanages all my classes. They constantly tell me everything that they feel I do wrong (in front of the students) and take over the class speaking in Thai and broken English.... all while reminding me to "smile". I'm pretty done"

I can't stand that. Teaching English by speaking Thai.

On my first day, I asked is there a book? A: no book. A few weeks later, the HoD comes into my class and lambasts me for not following the book. <deleted>?!?

OP, be very careful not to sign something all in Thai. It happened to me. (I can't read Thai). Later, a school claimed that I had signed a contract as some disposable "hired by the hour" person. No foreign teacher ever got a WP there... When it's such a place, you gotta get the hell outta there!

• Like 1

Thanks again all! I'm happy to report that I'm on my way out the door! :D

This whole experience, along with the responses to this post and others, has gotten me thinking though.

Why is it that there are no websites where one can post reviews of Teaching Jobs?

http://www.ajarn.com/ajarn-street/articles/i-work-for-the-school-from-hell/

This article seems to state that Thai laws are such that thaivisa or other websites/forums would get sued for negative reviews of schools... Is this true?

This libel law, as discussed in the article, also seems to suggest that any negative review MUST be investigated, while positive reviews (no matter if they are deceptive or not) should be left alone? What??

I don't have any interest in name shaming my school... Perhaps there are others that would love working there. To each their own. It just seems a little odd that I should not at least be able to give future/prospective employees a heads up as to the true (and unadvertised) working conditions so that they can know what to expect going in and not get blindsided.

Edited by elVagabundo