Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Is a 0-0 draw away at Stoke in the Carling Cup bad! I've only just looked at the result!

I wanted us out of it anyway. The FA cup is quite enough for our first team baring in mind our focus is on top four. Redknapp is doing exactly what he should be doing in the europa.

If you see the team he put out last night there were nine changes from sunday. Kaboul played and i think BAE. They did ok. Most premier league first teams struggle for a result at Stoke.

Agreed no big worries about going out of the Carling cup. However pavleomentals penalty is worth a mention described by Bradley allen as the worst penalty he ever seen, I've always said it and still say it Pav just aint a good enuf footballer, pity stoke didn't want him, but pullis is no mug!! shame. but hey ho, perhaps he'll score another couple of 35 yarders and some fool will wedge out large and buy him. Come on u spurrs.

Rijit - be fair (I know it's our thread) but, (generalisation), our strikers let us down up front, and our defenders let us down at the back. And our midfield players (who have a defensive and attacking role) generally did very well!

What Spurs need to concentrate on this season is beating the clubs that we know that we can beat, home and away! Like Shamrock Rovers ;-)

Whilst beating Man U and Man City and Chelsea and Arsenal would be great, we have to beat the other 16 teams in the premiership, both at home and away! We are capable, we have the squad (when fit)!

Qualification or relegation

1Manchester United ©38 23 11 4 78 37+41 80

2Chelsea38 21 8 9 69 33+36 71

3Manchester City38 21 8 9 60 33+27 71

4Arsenal38 19 11 8 72 43+29 68

5Tottenham Hotspur38 16 14 8 55 46+9 62

1 I am being fair and look at the figures our goals for were within sniffing distance of man city, but the goal difference was down to + 9 not anywhere near ANY of champs league clubs, in relation to the amount of goals we scored we let 2 many in. Anyway,we've always known we can beat the smaller clubs in the prem, beating the top clubs is all about confidence, it's what traditionally. even going way bac to 84ish, has stopped us going on and winning the championship.

You've gone all Abrak on me! (but not in a nice spreadsheet).

Your point was about ATTACK and DEFENCE. My point was that the MIDFIELD has a huge part to play! I'll repeat, last season our defence was poor and our attack was poor! Our midfield made and scored many goals, but our midfield lost (or didn't even go for) tackles and therefore the defence of the defence.

No point in arguing amongst ourselves!

No Carling Cup on TV - off to look for the result! Fingers crossed!

Mate, its called discussion, it's not aggressive but when people talk crap about something youve got a passion 4 or r challenging ure opinions or r just down right patronizing , then here's the place to debate the issues, why else would the forum exist?

Agreed no big worries about going out of the Carling cup. However pavleomentals penalty is worth a mention described by Bradley allen as the worst penalty he ever seen, I've always said it and still say it Pav just aint a good enuf footballer, pity stoke didn't want him, but pullis is no mug!! shame. but hey ho, perhaps he'll score another couple of 35 yarders and some fool will wedge out large and buy him. Come on u spurrs.

Have to agree with this 100%. Funny you posted this today...I was just thinking this afternoon that the only real change we should look to make in Jan is getting rid of Pav and buying a decent replacement.

I hope it happens as well.

Have to agree with this 100%. Funny you posted this today...I was just thinking this afternoon that the only real change we should look to make in Jan is getting rid of Pav and buying a decent replacement.

In the words of fred flintstone YAbadabadoooooooooooo,

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1127/53/russian-duo-set-january-transfer-fight-pavlyuchenko

http://www.talksport...ht-pavlyuchenko

We can only pray there is a bidding war starting early. I'd rip either arm off at £10m!

http://www.talksport...ht-pavlyuchenko

We can only pray there is a bidding war starting early. I'd rip either arm off at £10m!

yeah 4 me ten mils good money for him, bet levy's rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of a bidding war even without them he gets good money. and this jan defo the time to act/sell as he's on a 5 year deal which, i believe, expires in sept 2013

He'll probably be off in january. Apparently he was absolutely dreadful against Stoke. As a senior pro he should have been setting the example. Problem is recouping the 13m we spent. Dos Santos has a part to play in this scenario. If he comes good then theres no need for Pav. We also don't know what agreement Levy has with City regards Adebayor. I don't don't see us paying his 170k per week even if we are offered him permanently.

Ofcourse now that we have a top quality striker like Adebayor we are much more flexable. We can have a 4-4-2 with him and Defoe and then again if Defoe is injured or sick we have Van Der Vaart to form 4-4-1-1.

At times in the first half we were superb and the game should have been over at half time. We ended up making a bit of a meal of it. i thought Parker and Sandro worked very effectively. Another three points and every reason to be optimistic for next sunday. If we could beat Arsenal and Liverpool in our first six games that will bode very well for us. Neither of them are better than us.

Edited by carmine

Yep bring on the arse wipes. the first time since ? , but I'm actually thinking were going into the game and we're better team, But i must admit to going into the utd game with high expectations, so!!!

We're a completely different team than the one that was hammered at OT. No excuses but no ones telling me they would have ripped apart the current first choice which could look like this"

Friedal

Walker Gallas King Bale

Lennon Sandro Parker Modric

Defoe Adebayor

I don't care what anyone says, thats a very handy side. I think we might get Leandro Damiao in january. Being as they are our affiliate club we have a first option and i'm hoping the deal is done similar to how we got Sandro. We also have a bench with Van Der Vaart, Huddlestone and Dawson when fit. Ofcourse i'm worried about the center backs but we just have to keep fingers crossed. Its frightening to think that Ledley's so much better than Dawson for example and yet he can't even train! What a player he would have been.

All in all thinks are going very nicely. Fingers crossed for a big performance next sunday.

Yep bring on the arse wipes. the first time since ? , but I'm actually thinking were going into the game and we're better team, But i must admit to going into the utd game with high expectations, so!!!

We're a completely different team than the one that was hammered at OT. No excuses but no ones telling me they would have ripped apart the current first choice which could look like this"

Friedal

Walker Gallas King Bale

Defoe Adebayor

I don't care what anyone says, thats a very handy side. I think we might get Leandro Damiao in january. Being as they are our affiliate club we have a first option and i'm hoping the deal is done similar to how we got Sandro. We also have a bench with Van Der Vaart, Huddlestone and Dawson when fit. Ofcourse i'm worried about the center backs but we just have to keep fingers crossed. Its frightening to think that Ledley's so much better than Dawson for example and yet he can't even train! What a player he would have been.

All in all thinks are going very nicely. Fingers crossed for a big performance next sunday.

Close to what I'd say is our first team with everyone fit. Not so sure Redknapp will play Bale so deep though I hope I'm wrong.

Look at that defence! smile.gif

Friedal

Walker Gallas King Bale

Defoe Adebayor

Close to what I'd say is our first team with everyone fit. Not so sure Redknapp will play Bale so deep though I hope I'm wrong.

Look at that defence! smile.gif

He won't drop Bale back if Lennon is still crocked (and VDV can't play on the right,) but it would be crazy to leave a fit Lennon on the bench and play Assou Ekotto. I don't think he's recovered for sunday but i still think that Walker and Bale will cause them all sorts of problems and then ofcourse theres the Adebayor factor. ;)

Given the fact that VDV never tracks back, can't tackle, requires a team set up around him and looking at a very strong squad we have that best accodates a 4-4-2 i would'nt be surprised if he goes this season, maybe in january because he's not going to get much game time seeing Defoe has started to play again. Ball bag head seems to like the defoe/Ade pairing and i love the midfield balance that has huge potential.

Whether we are the best of the rest i don't know but i'm sure Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal will be spending a lot again in january (just like i'm sure we won't) so best leave predictions until february 1st to see who they bring in. What i would say is that imho we are better than Arsenal and Liverpool on paper and off the bench but that could change by the end of the next window.

I just hope Redknapp keeps his trap shut and lets the team get on with it. His endless self promotion for the England job would be best served winning league games.

Probably won't be any changes on sunday with the possible exception of Gallas coming in.

Edited by carmine

Regarding VDV you'll no doubt have seen the rumours of offers in the £12m range...with around the same for Pav....if that happens we could well bring in the young Brazilian striker we've heard so much about when the season finishes over there in January.

Still a central defender short imo.....the rest of the squad looks solid enough.

Hope to see some movement finally on the new stadium by the end of this season as that's Levy's main focus now I believe....and the right one too....we need more seats badly!

A Post for Abrak................

yep, the stat men are going to love this one. I'll call it the Ledley King factor and should be of great interest to Liverpool and Arsenal and Chelsea fans in particular, not forgetting ourselves ofcourse.

1 In the last 98 games Tottenham have played WITHOUT King our win percentage is 32%

2 In the last 56 games Tottenham have played with King IN the side our win percentage is 75%

Add to this we are undefeated in the last 7 league games in which he has started.

A Post for Abrak................

yep, the stat men are going to love this one. I'll call it the Ledley King factor and should be of great interest to Liverpool and Arsenal and Chelsea fans in particular, not forgetting ourselves ofcourse.

1 In the last 98 games Tottenham have played WITHOUT King our win percentage is 32%

2 In the last 56 games Tottenham have played with King IN the side our win percentage is 75%

Add to this we are undefeated in the last 7 league games in which he has started.

rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

..... Whether we are the best of the rest i don't know but i'm sure Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal will be spending a lot again in january (just like i'm sure we won't) .......

Shirley shome mishtake there. Arsene rarely spends in the January window. Maybe he will have to this time though when he looks at the table in December and sees Spuds ahead of us. That said, I would not be surprised if the over-confidence at WHL will be pricked on Saturday woops - Sunday.

Edited by SantiSuk

..... Whether we are the best of the rest i don't know but i'm sure Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal will be spending a lot again in january (just like i'm sure we won't) .......

Shirley shome mishtake there. Arsene rarely spends in the January window. Maybe he will have to this time though when he looks at the table in December and sees Spuds ahead of us. That said, I would not be surprised if the over-confidence at WHL will be pricked on Saturday woops - Sunday.

Theres no over confidence and Arsenal have earnt that respect.

What we are is positive. No one is talking of us to get top four which is incredible arrogance on the part of many and i love it, so what have we got to lose....nothing. It gives us a kind of seige mentality which will be good. And yet because we are pleased at winning three on the trot we cannot be upbeat, hopeful and positive...oh no, we have to be over confident :lol: When i included Arsenal in the group of spenders i do so because i think they are going to "have" to this time and we know they have the money. If they are going to hold onto to CL and Wenger they quite simply have to spend and strengthen.

Truthfully i think Arsenal have long felt CL was their God given right and have forgotten the times they literally scraped in.

Theres no over confidence and Arsenal have earnt that respect.

What we are is positive. No one is talking of us to get top four which is incredible arrogance on the part of many and i love it, so what have we got to lose....nothing. It gives us a kind of seige mentality which will be good. And yet because we are pleased at winning three on the trot we cannot be upbeat, hopeful and positive...oh no, we have to be over confident :lol: When i included Arsenal in the group of spenders i do so because i think they are going to "have" to this time and we know they have the money. If they are going to hold onto to CL and Wenger they quite simply have to spend and strengthen.

Truthfully i think Arsenal have long felt CL was their God given right and have forgotten the times they literally scraped in.

You can bet they haven't forgotten. I'm just enjoying watching our open attacking football at the moment...and yes having strikers who (occasionally) take their chances.

Roll on Sunday! smile.gif

Mixed news on the injury front.

Good news is Lennon is fit to play and Pienaar is back in training.

Bad news is Gallas having an injury set back so expect the same team on sunday with Lennon making an appearance at some stage.

If you hadn't slept through last night's game you'd be perfectly happy with that team. I'm happy as it leaves us a bit more pace at the back for this one. They are quick on the break but Arsevin is well wide of the mark.

Defensively the commentator accurately compared them to the "crumbling Greek economy". biggrin.gif