Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Tough Europa draw, lyon !!!! If I could have picked teams they would probably have been amongst the ones I would have liked to avoid, still, by mid feb our squad , hopefully should be bac to full strength and match fit, so you never know.

I fancy our chances, tough, but this is not the Lyon of 3/4 years ago. Inter or Cluj if we progress, shame Maicon is not still with Inter w00t.gif

Tough Europa draw, lyon !!!! If I could have picked teams they would probably have been amongst the ones I would have liked to avoid, still, by mid feb our squad , hopefully should be bac to full strength and match fit, so you never know.

I fancy our chances, tough, but this is not the Lyon of 3/4 years ago. Inter or Cluj if we progress, shame Maicon is not still with Inter w00t.gif

I fancy our chances too but it will be tough. It will give us a chance to have a good look at Michel Bastos whom we have been linked with

Top scorer for Lyon? steed malbranque ,and top assists as well!!! good player whom i always thought at the lane we never got the best out of him, but he's one of the many who struggle to take the step up. As been said, they ain't the team of 4ish years ago,hence the europa lge not the champs lge , but equal top of the french lge and seem to be giving psg toy boys psg a run 4 their money, 4 me it's gonna be more than tuf, but someone said last night to be the best you've got to beat the best, and imo lyon aint far of the 'elite' in Europe. Up kicking and running with our 'strongest' team we should be ok, but it defo aint the easiest of tie's.

Edited by rijit

Lyon will be a cracking couple of games. A good side who we can certainly match barring injuries.

Will look forward to that one....hopefully with a couple of January signings to boot.

Meantime hopefully seven points Xmas present for us!

Well i was rather hoping to win the lot smokes! Just hoping we don't get any nasty injuries playing those thugs from Stoke

I suppose a draw against Barcelona aint bad. biggrin.png

Would have won at the end barring an excellent save. Oh well....

The more quality you have the easier it is to break these teams down so Levy get your wad out !

You can't rely on your stand in left back to be the most likely person to score can you? biggrin.png

We need a striker and, as ferguson would say, someone to pick the lock.

So not much then. I reckon thats about 40m that Levy won't spend...

Lackluster display, needed to step it up and we didnt, central midfield seemed to lack energy and again the ability to bring/run the ball out of defence was an issue, this stoke team were set up to sit relatively deep and we really failed to stretch them or push them,They had no particular pace on the break and we should have pushed up and on and we didn't, why not? Thank the f--c he's got pace cos walkers touch and distribution is again turning into a worry no thanks to him we were nearly 1-0 down after 5? mins, As much as i'm a fan of sandro, 4 me time for Parker to start and push dembele on, his touch and quick feet are wasted sitting deep. Like the look of dawson and caulker as a c/b pairing good balance and primarily defenders both of them, which imo is important , 4 th place on that display??? , mmmmmmm,, still a long way to go .

If Avb continues to talk like this i think i will get to dislike him !

"I don't think we need to do anything," said the former Chelsea boss. "We have Clint out. He is a massive player for us. He has had a big impact. He scored 17 goals last season so we have to count on him.

I missed it when Dempsey had an impact for us and what has 17 goals last season got to do with this season 40.gif

Footnote : We had enough of Ari talking shit, please not another one !

If Avb continues to talk like this i think i will get to dislike him !

"I don't think we need to do anything," said the former Chelsea boss. "We have Clint out. He is a massive player for us. He has had a big impact. He scored 17 goals last season so we have to count on him.

I missed it when Dempsey had an impact for us and what has 17 goals last season got to do with this season 40.gif

Footnote : We had enough of Ari talking shit, please not another one !

I found those comments extremely irritating too. I think he's playing games because its too bloody obvious we need someone. Maybe he's trying to avoid City or Chelsea getting wind of an imminent signing. Remeber when we wanted to buy Belamey and more recently Oscar.

Lackluster display, needed to step it up and we didnt, central midfield seemed to lack energy and again the ability to bring/run the ball out of defence was an issue, this stoke team were set up to sit relatively deep and we really failed to stretch them or push them,They had no particular pace on the break and we should have pushed up and on and we didn't, why not? Thank the f--c he's got pace cos walkers touch and distribution is again turning into a worry no thanks to him we were nearly 1-0 down after 5? mins, As much as i'm a fan of sandro, 4 me time for Parker to start and push dembele on, his touch and quick feet are wasted sitting deep. Like the look of dawson and caulker as a c/b pairing good balance and primarily defenders both of them, which imo is important , 4 th place on that display??? , mmmmmmm,, still a long way to go .

I generally watch the Spurs game live if possible, but always watch them recorded if not live.

I agree very much with your statement, it was almost as if midfield didn't exist and hopefully Parker can help.

I do tire of seeing Adebeyor sitting on his arse holding his ankles and looking bemused. Defoe would really be a better player if he passed when he should and although I quite liked Dempsey at Fulham, for me he hasn't been the same at Spurs.

It will be very interesting to see if anything happens in January.

As a side note, I quite liked HR response when told at a news meeting that Barcelona are looking at Taarabt, saying " are they....maybe we could do a straight swap for Messi?" Perhaps he could do a job at Spurs (Taarabt not ari), he's a bit raw but I like the way he runs at defenders.

I generally watch the Spurs game live if possible, but always watch them recorded if not live.

I agree very much with your statement, it was almost as if midfield didn't exist and hopefully Parker can help.

I do tire of seeing Adebeyor sitting on his arse holding his ankles and looking bemused. Defoe would really be a better player if he passed when he should and although I quite liked Dempsey at Fulham, for me he hasn't been the same at Spurs.

As a side note, I quite liked HR response when told at a news meeting that Barcelona are looking at Taarabt, saying " are they....maybe we could do a straight swap for Messi?" Perhaps he could do a job at Spurs (Taarabt not ari), he's a bit raw but I like the way he runs at defenders.

Taarabts memories at Spurs arn't good. Reserve games and little more. As i've said, he's not a team player, selfish, huge ego, difficult in the dressing room and unfortunately not good enough to play the role that he thinks is his to do.

Taarabt, was 18 had around 1 first team? game in France arrived at the lane a precocious raw talent with a huge reputation and an ego to match, probably tri lingual, not your average hackney marsh's type footballer our system was more used to, might well be different now, perhaps he could do the job modric did for us ie persistently run and 'unlock' defenses, if he came and succeeded he is the type of player the lane would love, not so sure about the ego though, but we've got dembele, who has the ability to do the same whether he has the ability or physic to consistently do so, remains to be seen, As 4 tarabaat's future I wouldn't be surprised if he did a 'prince' on us and went further a field.

Brad Friedel has signed a new contract with Tottenham Hotspur, which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2014, the club have announced.

The keeper has recently been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane after losing his place to Hugo Lloris.

Taarabt, was 18 had around 1 first team? game in France arrived at the lane a precocious raw talent with a huge reputation and an ego to match, probably tri lingual, not your average hackney marsh's type footballer our system was more used to, might well be different now, perhaps he could do the job modric did for us ie persistently run and 'unlock' defenses, if he came and succeeded he is the type of player the lane would love, not so sure about the ego though, but we've got dembele, who has the ability to do the same whether he has the ability or physic to consistently do so, remains to be seen, As 4 tarabaat's future I wouldn't be surprised if he did a 'prince' on us and went further a field.

i don't really understand what you are talking about so i'll offer you my take. Theres absolutely no comparison to Modric, but that aside Taarabt will always conjure cup the (very)occasional match winning performance and win press plaudits, but he's a hugely over hyped show poney. He will only play the way he wants to, will never properly fit into a system, loses ball all too often and is only really geared to be a big fish in a small pond. He wouldn't have a hope of a regular place in this Spurs side.

there are vastly superior players out there that we could attract.

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

This Italian journalist spoke with Talksport and says that Wesley Sneijder is close to

signing for Tottenham!

Fantastic if it comes off!

http://www.talksport...ttenham-188006?

I like to be proven wrong but i don't see this in a month of sundays.

He is a mercenary and mercenaries don't join a team battling to get into the CL, especially not on half his current salary.

He's probably using this as a lure to the arabs and russians

i don't really understand what you are talking about so i'll offer you my take. Theres absolutely no comparison to Modric, but that aside Taarabt will always conjure cup the (very)occasional match winning performance and win press plaudits, but he's a hugely over hyped show poney. He will only play the way he wants to, will never properly fit into a system, loses ball all too often and is only really geared to be a big fish in a small pond. He wouldn't have a hope of a regular place in this Spurs side.

there are vastly superior players out there that we could attract.

I must have missed a lot of games last season because i missed Modric "persistently run and 'unlock' defenses" probaly the same time when were struggling to break down teams and letting 13 points slip over the goons !

Wow. Someone who believes talksport. Do you read goal.com as well?

Founding subscribers mate, but parker injected an organised urgency coming out of our defense into midfield and modric helped keep that pace/ momentum going in the second half of the pitch, by his persistent running at defenses not quite that straightforward but imo thats the essential, and we've miss both elements. i'm not convinced but if there was a job a more 'mature' tarabaat could do it would be the modric role but as i said i'm not convinced he could or even want to come bac to the lane, and no doubts dembele has the ball skills, but whether he has the other attributes heart/ ability/fitness/physic to up the pace/momentum week in week out, has yet to be seen. And frankly i preferred it when I was ignored

I know this won't be popular, but;

Bale is too good for Spurs.....he needs to move on for his own sake.

I don't know about too good. He's just worthy of playing with and being paid accodingly by the likes of Madrid and Barcelona. Can't blame him. Can anyone?

What i will say is the pace of the game overthere won't help him at all.

I don't know about too good. He's just worthy of playing with and being paid accodingly by the likes of Madrid and Barcelona. Can't blame him. Can anyone?

No, he's too good - he's world class, needs a world class team and as much as I like them, Spurs are not world class.

I think he will be a big hit wherever he goes,

No, he's too good - he's world class, needs a world class team and as much as I like them, Spurs are not world class.

I think he will be a big hit wherever he goes,

He's not going anywhere else ups....back to back hat tricks please! :D

• Like 1