What if a patient can't paid the bill.

rayongchelsea

Say an individual collapses is taken to hospital, they find an insurance card but after submission it is discovered it is no longer valid. The individual is in icu, the bill is approaching 1 million baht within a week.

The immediate family haven't got the financial capability to pay.

The patient has only his monthly pension.

The family are refusing to sign anything as not to expose themselves to any financial liability.

How does this work itself out, the public hospitals have declined to take him.

Anybody with any experience.

What is a fair way to deal with this situation.

Thanks

I recently spent a week in ICU at a private hospital here in BKK. I, too, faced "sticker shock." Thankfully, the hospital was able to work with me. They had a pre-printed form for those who need to arrange alternative methods of payment. My deal allowed me a few business days to transfer the money from my US bank to here. The form also had a place for monthly payments. Perhaps the hospital the aforementioned individual in can arrange a small down payment and monthly payments.

Edited by wangsuda
  • Like 1

I recently spent a week in ICU at a private hospital here in BKK. I, too, faced "sticker shock." Thankfully, the hospital was able to work with me. They had a pre-printed form for those who need to arrange alternative methods of payment. My deal allowed me a few business days to transfer the money from my US bank to here. The form also had a place for monthly payments. Perhaps the hospital the aforementioned individual is in can arrange a small down payment and monthly payments.

Thank you for the reply. Very helpful. Hope you are better.

Follow up question.

They want to transfer him from this expensive private hospital to a public one when he is stable.

Will the public hospital need money upfront , given that he can't discharge his hospital bill at the private hospital.

On that I have no idea. Someone would probably have to talk to the public hospital accounting office.

I recently spent a week in ICU at a private hospital here in BKK. I, too, faced "sticker shock." Thankfully, the hospital was able to work with me. They had a pre-printed form for those who need to arrange alternative methods of payment. My deal allowed me a few business days to transfer the money from my US bank to here. The form also had a place for monthly payments. Perhaps the hospital the aforementioned individual in can arrange a small down payment and monthly payments.

I had a similar situation last year, here in Chiang Mai. Was straight up and explained my situation, we negotiated a monthly payment, now all good.

In the meantime get back to Australia, quick smart, and let Medicare take over your care. Keep paying your Thai Hospital tho'

Regards

• Like 2

my thai friend's dad - a wealthy man but who dresses down and looks poor - was knocked down. the first two rescue vehicles refused to take him to hospital, apparently because he looked poor! fortunately the third did take him. (thainess?!)

one way they try to avoid non-payment, at hospital; non- treatment!

• Like 1

All this stuff about hospital taking or not taking is contrary to their own laws in Thailand. As noted the bill can mount quick at these Private Hotel Hospital. The family had done the right thing by not signing the papers those papers basically are saying you would be responsible for the bill and being responsible they will sell all your belonging if necessary to get paid even if it puts your entire family in the streets.

I would think about two things. Have the financial office make a visit to the patient if possible or his representative and see if payments can be made and how much. Determine his condition and see how much longer he has to stay so one can get a grip on the final cost. If he does not have must longer to stay then maybe a 25% good faith payment gesture would surface with the hospital so he can continue to stay.

Second, find and visit a Government hospital and indicate to them the situation and his condition, If he basically only need now is to be watch and care for medication wise ( no more operations etc ) the cost should be must must less. and also talk to them about payment. You can slow down the cost from mounting. Since these private hospital charge in the range of 25,000/30,000 baht a day. I can tell you first hand once they actually believe you can't pay, they will gladly move you to their secondary ICU, which is much less like 15,000 a day. These hospital from my experience do a over kill (no pun intented) and recommend services that extend the patient stay $$$$$

You also mentioned in the beginning the public hospital will not take him then you contradict yourself. Will or will they not take him and why?

Push come to shove the private hospital will not prevent you from leaving especially if you tell them you have no intention of paying at all! All they want is profit and holding him against his will even if he can't pay the current bill isn't going to happen. They will cut their loses and accept the terms of monthly payment. They do not really have a choice do they?

If he is receiving a pension and it seem he might be from the U.K. might consider a suggestion by another poster go home and fix himself and then come back.

Take care good luck!

did not read your post correctly, public hospidal will not take therefore he is really sick, we had uk man 45 same, died quickly, good luck , back to aus only option, money talks here

If the guy is in ICU in Thailand he will not be getting on a plane anytime soon at the cost of the Aussie tax payers

All this stuff about hospital taking or not taking is contrary to their own laws in Thailand. As noted the bill can mount quick at these Private Hotel Hospital. The family had done the right thing by not signing the papers those papers basically are saying you would be responsible for the bill and being responsible they will sell all your belonging if necessary to get paid even if it puts your entire family in the streets.

I would think about two things. Have the financial office make a visit to the patient if possible or his representative and see if payments can be made and how much. Determine his condition and see how much longer he has to stay so one can get a grip on the final cost. If he does not have must longer to stay then maybe a 25% good faith payment gesture would surface with the hospital so he can continue to stay.

Second, find and visit a Government hospital and indicate to them the situation and his condition, If he basically only need now is to be watch and care for medication wise ( no more operations etc ) the cost should be must must less. and also talk to them about payment. You can slow down the cost from mounting. Since these private hospital charge in the range of 25,000/30,000 baht a day. I can tell you first hand once they actually believe you can't pay, they will gladly move you to their secondary ICU, which is much less like 15,000 a day. These hospital from my experience do a over kill (no pun intented) and recommend services that extend the patient stay $$$$$

You also mentioned in the beginning the public hospital will not take him then you contradict yourself. Will or will they not take him and why?

Push come to shove the private hospital will not prevent you from leaving especially if you tell them you have no intention of paying at all! All they want is profit and holding him against his will even if he can't pay the current bill isn't going to happen. They will cut their loses and accept the terms of monthly payment. They do not really have a choice do they?

If he is receiving a pension and it seem he might be from the U.K. might consider a suggestion by another poster go home and fix himself and then come back.

Take care good luck!

Err signing the paper work or not, the patient / family is responsible for the bill and on non payment the hospital can raise a civil suit and based on the judgement can sell belongings to recover their costs so please stop posting misinformation

Its not what they can do, its what they will do, the hospital is 100% legally in the right

Secondly if you had read the thread properly you would note the guy is an Aussie mentioned on more than one occasion

Follow up question.

They want to transfer him from this expensive private hospital to a public one when he is stable.

Will the public hospital need money upfront , given that he can't discharge his hospital bill at the private hospital.

Public hospitals sometimes refuse people who have been in a private hospital first...

I had a serious accident...meat wagon took me to public hospital. Left in agony in A&E for 2 hours...leg exploded, gaping wound, no pain relief, dislocated hip, dirty environment. Wife got me out of here soonest thankfully. Took to best private hospital in Khon Kaen..treated me then asked about money. Had to pay a large deposit...worth every penny in the long run 300,000 baht. 2 weeks in private room..3 operations. Mega service. I had no health insurance.

I had a serious accident...meat wagon took me to public hospital. Left in agony in A&E for 2 hours...leg exploded, gaping wound, no pain relief, dislocated hip, dirty environment. Wife got me out of here soonest thankfully. Took to best private hospital in Khon Kaen..treated me then asked about money. Had to pay a large deposit...worth every penny in the long run 300,000 baht. 2 weeks in private room..3 operations. Mega service. I had no health insurance.

But you have health insurance now ?

Why don't you buy Health Care in Thailand? The best & cheapest is Thai Life Insurance, they sell medical, hospital only, 1500.00 a year Us Dollar. Will service you till you are 90 years old. Worth every Penny.

My health care plan in Thailand costs me, at age 62, about USD$2000 per year. The cost of the plan goes up every 5 years. So, $1,500 until age 90 is not really accurate.

Why don't you buy Health Care in Thailand? The best & cheapest is Thai Life Insurance, they sell medical, hospital only, 1500.00 a year Us Dollar. Will service you till you are 90 years old. Worth every Penny.

Please read and review your policy, how much does it actually cover you for?

Somehow I dont think you will be covered for years of cancer treatment at some place like Bumrungrad or any of the other top end private hospitals, even using some of the gov't hospitals the bills can soon start adding up to more than your policy will cover.

• Like 1

My health care plan in Thailand costs me, at age 62, about USD$2000 per year. The cost of the plan goes up every 5 years. So, $1,500 until age 90 is not really accurate. Furthermore, my plan does NOT cover: (1) any outpatient expenses, and (2) any pre-existing conditions that I had prior to purchasing the coverage at, in my case, age 57.