Thai opinion: Corruption versus Democracy: Dead man talking

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
Corruption versus Democracy: Dead man talking

Tulsathit Taptim

BANGKOK: -- The Angel and Demon have become equally tired. They have crossed swords over the Kingdom of Thailand for too long, with Corruption in the process trying to convince Democracy that they'd better sign a pact. The Demon has been determined and persuasive, and what happened on Friday in the interim Parliament only made him more so.

For the neutral watchers, the question of "who is who" is long gone - it's now a waste of time trying to figure that out. Corruption and Democracy have lost their distinguishing features during the fight and become virtually identical. That has played into Corruption's hands, as he's the one who keeps saying that the dark side is a lot more real than his opposite number.

Corruption: A military-installed Parliament has impeached a (former) democratically elected leader. It couldn't be crazier than that. But when everybody who is bad wants to be seen as good, that's what you get. Join me and end all the harmful pretensions. Join me and become something real.

Democracy: Are you saying you have been fighting a ghost?

Corruption: Ghosts are more real than you. A child's imaginary friend is more real than you, because the kid at least "believes" in his friend. What I mean is that not even your "advocates" truly believe in you. People dream you up and they fail to follow the principles that are supposed to be your essence. Do you know why? Because the people have me in them.

Democracy: Which makes you the real one? Let me ask you something. Without dreams or ideals, what would the world be?

Corruption: An honest place. Maybe a bit brutal, but there'd be no pretence.

Democracy: So, why are you pushing for a deal? Why don't you just try to kill me so you can live happily ever after in your brutally honest world?

Corruption: Let's just say I'm pragmatic. A bit of a dream can motivate the world. You said so yourself. But ideals are like oxygen. You get too much, you'll get too high. Our deal will keep everybody's feet on the ground.

Democracy: Let's cut to the chase. How will my pact with you help Thailand?

Corruption: When graft is generally accepted, there will be no coup, no impeachment, no street protest. Results from ballot boxes will be absolutely respected, as you always wanted.

Democracy: You forgot one thing. Corruption is not just about embezzlement, taking bribes or giving a project to your nephew. A coup is corruption, too. It's corruption of military power. You are talking as if a coup is an effect, while it can, in fact, be a cause.

Corruption: Don't you get it? That's the whole damn point. Coups happen because you refuse to make a pact with me. Your stubbornness has exposed you to attacks. You see? Flawed democracy this… Weak democracy that…

But if you want to describe coups as corruption, fine. I'll guarantee it will never happen again if you make a pact with me. That will be my part of the bargain.

Democracy: If I make a pact with you, what will make me different from other systems, like dictatorship or communism, where leaders cheat or commit fraud for fun?

Corruption: When you have "democratic" elections, the outside world will believe anything you say. Satisfied?

Democracy: What about freedom of information and freedom of expression?

Corruption: You may not believe this, but I love them. People make a lot of sense when they are free to talk.

Democracy: You love them because you love manipulating them. I love them because free speech is part of my essence.

Corruption: We both are for free speech, so, what's the problem here? You do the right thing for the right reason while I do the right thing for the wrong reason. The end result is the right thing being done, right?

Democracy: You are very good at mixing things up and confusing people.

Corruption: That's the idea, isn't it? If you do it right, you can make them do anything. You can, for example, make them kill and believe they are doing something noble.

Democracy: I'm not getting into that millions-died-because-religions-want-them-to debate.

Corruption: It's funny you just said that. I was about to say that if you're not careful, one day you'll end up like a religion and have millions killing each other for you.

Democracy: And it's you who will make sure that doesn't happen, right?

Corruption: Exactly. But that isn't my best offer.

Democracy: Oh yeah? What's the best you can do for me?

Corruption: I'll bring you back to life. According to Yingluck, you are dead already.

And the World, Heaven and Hell continue to hold their breath.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Corruption-versus-Democracy-Dead-man-talking-30252823.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-28

Being a democratic country does not mean that corruption automatically disappears...constant vigilance by the public and elected officials to root out the unethical officials is an on-going process and never ever ends...

... thought that the skeleton in the cupboard was the dishonourable history of the (alleged) founders of "Democracy"

... but with a bit of a Happiness pill, Thainess can be spread to the world because Pol Col Lt Somchai will be able to define "Thai Democracy". With the purity of only Thai blood on the Committee of Definition, their definition will be welcome by all loyal Thai citizens. Given that each Member of the CoD received numerous lunch boxes over the front counter throughout the extended deliberation process, it will be unsurprising that "Thai Democracy" has found a Clause of Accommodation with Corruption. Together they will be able to demonstrate "Thainess" to the world.

"Corruption: A military-installed Parliament has impeached a (former) democratically elected leader. It couldn't be crazier than that." That statement is an understatement for two reasons. One, red cheerleaders and yellow cheerleaders all have very selective memories, and rant whenever a fact contradicts the vestal purity of either side. The second reason is below.

It is crazier than that. The current regime had to adopt a revoked charter for a single instance to even begin prosecution, making retroactive prosecutions for overturned laws a lawyers field day for abuse no matter who comes into power. Yes, read it again because opening a floodgate is no way to put out a burning bush.

Nice going. Next, they might invade Myanmar because a few hundred years ago the then-Burmese sacked Ayuttayah.

There is neither any legal precedent for this, nor any logic beyond "we don't like you and we're coming to get you, and further, since our current regime established rules as we went, there can be no appeal".

No CEO in any world court has ever been accountable for the failings of subordinates, unless culpability was clearly proven. Even worse, negligence has a definition, being one has knowledge and took no action. Instead, they have declared "we have proof enough for ourselves, so shut up and sit down as we rewrite the definitions for the word "negligence" and every other word that bothers us or threatens our assets".

The biggest boondoggle of them all: declaring that the impeachment and prosecution has nothing to do with reconciliation is ironically correct -- it is simply political revenge.

Edited by FangFerang

Being a democratic country does not mean that corruption automatically disappears...constant vigilance by the public and elected officials to root out the unethical officials is an on-going process and never ever ends...

And when top elected officials are friends and relations of corrupted politicians in power?

Or when posts of local officials from village heads to kamnans to provincial governors are bought through vote buying, and subsequently their power to sway their electorate in national elections are sold to corrupted politicians?

Where is the Democracy to set the democratic country in the first instance?

Edited by trogers

Another attempt by some self-proclaimed Thai academic genius to write an amusing yet incisive article using the superior command of English he is under the misconception he holds.

And another attempt which fails miserably.

This guy will no doubt share a beer with the other crackpot, Mr Kong of Bangkok Post, while they tell each other how much better Thailand would be if they were running it.

LOL whoever wrote that is MUCH smarter than many of the TV crowd who read with beernoculars. That was a great post!

Judging by the standards of the comments I read, I think there are very few who read with 'beernoculars' and comment on politics. And he is only 'much smarter than many of them'. That's not a lot of people.

So I think you might be right.

He's definitely MUCH smarter than you.

"Corruption: A military-installed Parliament has impeached a (former) democratically elected leader. It couldn't be crazier than that." That statement is an understatement for two reasons. One, red cheerleaders and yellow cheerleaders all have very selective memories, and rant whenever a fact contradicts the vestal purity of either side. The second reason is below.

It is crazier than that. The current regime had to adopt a revoked charter for a single instance to even begin prosecution, making retroactive prosecutions for overturned laws a lawyers field day for abuse no matter who comes into power. Yes, read it again because opening a floodgate is no way to put out a burning bush.

Nice going. Next, they might invade Myanmar because a few hundred years ago the then-Burmese sacked Ayuttayah.

There is neither any legal precedent for this, nor any logic beyond "we don't like you and we're coming to get you, and further, since our current regime established rules as we went, there can be no appeal".

No CEO in any world court has ever been accountable for the failings of subordinates, unless culpability was clearly proven. Even worse, negligence has a definition, being one has knowledge and took no action. Instead, they have declared "we have proof enough for ourselves, so shut up and sit down as we rewrite the definitions for the word "negligence" and every other word that bothers us or threatens our assets".

The biggest boondoggle of them all: declaring that the impeachment and prosecution has nothing to do with reconciliation is ironically correct -- it is simply political revenge.

But don't you dare bother to even start to say that, because, apparently you can wound Thailand. It is hilarious how they selectively pick a bit of the old constitution to prosecute Yingluck, but sit there doing so by virtue of giving themselves immunity for breaking that constitution by granting it to themselves.

And when people on hear fail to notice the essential hypocrisy of this situation they moan that what is happening today in Thailand is the lessor of two evils in order to further democracy. It is like gravity has been suspended morally.

• Like 1

And when top elected officials are friends and relations of corrupted politicians in power?

Or when posts of local officials from village heads to kamnans to provincial governors are bought through vote buying, and subsequently their power to sway their electorate in national elections are sold to corrupted politicians?

Or where a general of the armed forces takes over a country by force and maintains this force through application of military law. Or where said general APPOINTS HIS OWN MILITARY GENERALS TO POSTS WITHIN THE JUNTA TO CARRY OUT DAY TO DAY GOVERNMENT BUSINESS.

It is a fallacy to think this country has or ever will be a democracy. It is a ruled military state exactly as others in world.

A total joke.

Or where a general of the armed forces takes over a country by force and maintains this force through application of military law. Or where said general APPOINTS HIS OWN MILITARY GENERALS TO POSTS WITHIN THE JUNTA TO CARRY OUT DAY TO DAY GOVERNMENT BUSINESS.

It is a fallacy to think this country has or ever will be a democracy. It is a ruled military state exactly as others in world.

A total joke.

Please inform the US thus. They thought democracy is dying in Thailand, when in reality, this country has never seen democracy, only changes in corrupt politicians on the till.

A total joke.

Please inform the US thus. They thought democracy is dying in Thailand, when in reality, this country has never seen democracy, only changes in corrupt politicians on the till.

Who voted to have the general overthrow a legally elected government. Who voted to throw out a legally binding constitution? Who voted the majority generals into the current government?

Who voted anything of what is happening today?

What they are doing is as far from democracy as day and night. Fact is powers to be dont want a democracy, the want the power to "rule the kingdom" as they see fit. Its all a muse brother....

A total joke.

Who voted to have the general overthrow a legally elected government. Who voted to throw out a legally binding constitution? Who voted the majority generals into the current government?

Who voted anything of what is happening today?

What they are doing is as far from democracy as day and night. Fact is powers to be dont want a democracy, the want the power to "rule the kingdom" as they see fit. Its all a muse brother....