Japan to help Thailand construct high speed train

webfact

Japan to help Thailand construct high speed train
By Digital Content

14224241634211-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 28 -- The Thai and Japanese governments have to build a hi speed railway linking Thailand's western and eastern regions to create more connectivity between Myanmar,Thailand and Cambodia.

Deputy Prime Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula told the press after meeting with Hiroto Izumi, a special advisor to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, at Thailand's Government House yesterday, that both parties have agreed on the construction of a hi speed train line, linking Phu Nam Ron district of Karnchanaburi province with Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Sa Keao, and Cambodia.

The route would also provide another link between Myanmar, Thailand and Cambodia using a standard rail gauge of 1.435 metres.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha is scheduled to ink the aid agreement on February 8-9 in Tokyo.

Both sides' concerned mechanism would then discuss plans for the construction, the overall project budget, as well as investment ratios between Thailand and Japan.

The deputy premier said he would go to Myanmar on Friday to sign an agreement with the neighbouring country on building the Dawei Deep Sea Port, which the Japanese government has said that it would like to assist.

Mr Pridhyathorn plans to discuss Japan's assistance with Myanmar during this visit, noting that Tokyo has already helped build a rail line leading into Dawei and would like to invest in building the deep sea port as well. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-01-28

• Like 1

Oh the irony.

This route was tried before. The project came to a sudden halt in 1945.

Since the map in the BKK Post shows this going through Kanchanaburi I hope the Japanese don't 'damage' any of the original Burma railway as a history adjustment exercise.

Sudden halt?

Did you watch the film "Bridge over river Kwai?"

It was the British who halt it; now should the Thai send them the bill for the damage it blown up?

• Like 1

Sorry, Japan, but China came first, according to our dear former general and current PM

China is doing the top to bottom - Japan seems to be doing the left to right

The Japanese are straight people with no corruption like the Chinese.

The Japanese also help Siam to take back Laos and Khmer (including the Angkor Wat) before.

Sorry, Japan, but China came first, according to our dear former general and current PM

Max can't read maps through his anti Government glasses.

Time he had some attitude adjustment

Based on the two countries reputation for safe, well-built transportation systems, I'll feel much safer on the left to right rail.

Your view is out dated. Japan might have a more comfortable system but both sides are very reliable. And anyway this is incredibly stupid, they're going to need 2 different sets of maintenance facilities and workers to maintain the different signalling systems of the Japanese and Chinese rails. When will this madness ever stop....

Thailand doesn't need a 'high speed' railway system, it needs a railway system with two sets of tracks so if one train is delayed the whole set-up doesn't grind to a halt.

High-speed rail is Big Boy's Toys for countries that already have an efficient, functioning rail system, money to spare and want to show off a bit to their neighbours.

As an aside, what's with the 'Standard' gauge of 1.435 metres? I thought perhaps it was a conversion from feet and inches, but when I googled the conversion, I got 56.496063 inches.

Huh? Where did that gauge come from? It's not an obvious number to come up with. I mean, did a bunch of early railway engineers sit around discussing how wide to make the tracks, and decide: "Yes, I think 1.435 metres would be a good width". Why not 1.5 metres? Any railway buffs out there who can enlighten me?

Edited by nisakiman

Based on the two countries reputation for safe, well-built transportation systems, I'll feel much safer on the left to right rail.

Your view is out dated. Japan might have a more comfortable system but both sides are very reliable. And anyway this is incredibly stupid, they're going to need 2 different sets of maintenance facilities and workers to maintain the different signalling systems of the Japanese and Chinese rails. When will this madness ever stop....

Hopefully China has improved standards since 2011 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-16345592, but China's reputation for corruption and cutting corners in big infrastructure projects leave me less confident in a Chinese built rail system than a Japanese one.

As an aside, what's with the 'Standard' gauge of 1.435 metres? I thought perhaps it was a conversion from feet and inches, but when I googled the conversion, I got 56.496063 inches.

Huh? Where did that gauge come from? It's not an obvious number to come up with. I mean, did a bunch of early railway engineers sit around discussing how wide to make the tracks, and decide: "Yes, I think 1.435 metres would be a good width". Why not 1.5 metres? Any railway buffs out there who can enlighten me?

I googled it for you : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_gauge

One thing this article fails to note is the importance of the gauge chosen. It vaguely says it's "a" standard, which is very true, there are a number of standard gauges. Most of Japan is narrow gauge (for interesting historical reasons) but high-speed rail would have to be wider, so perhaps they're choosing the shinkansen gauge. The Chinese may well use another, though one would hope there's some standardisation happening in Asia.

DEATH Railway Mk2.

How about getting the Chinese involved from start to finish.?

There are just too many Butchered POW Ghosts lurking around, as a result of the last time the Japs were involved in Railway Building in Thailand.

I'm simply amazed that when they constructed the Suvarnabhumi high speed rail link, but didn't bother extending it to Don Muaeng Airport.

I used to fly to Swampy all the time and then take a cheap flight from there to Phuket, but not anymore. It's too much of a hassle getting to DMX and after a 12 hour flight from AMS, I'm in no mood to have to argue with taxi drivers who don't want to use the meter.

DEATH Railway Mk2.

How about getting the Chinese involved from start to finish.?

There are just too many Butchered POW Ghosts lurking around, as a result of the last time the Japs were involved in Railway Building in Thailand.

My grandfather was seriously wounded in the defence of Darwin in 1942, and would never buy a Japanese product. His biggest insult of a business was "I wouldn't send a Jap there on Anzac Day." He has been dead quite some time, and after 70+ years, I would have the thought the attitude might be too.

• Like 1

Good news to hear further investment in and development of Thailands infrastructure.

Lets hope it continues clap2.gif

(I can't except the many negative comments on this thread - whats wrong with people)

Once it opens I will be taking bets on how long it will be before their is a derailment at speed and hundreds are killed.

Personally, I will be avoiding it like a dose of the clap.

Negative posts.

Like this moronic statement.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Your view is delusional.

http://japandailypress.com/japans-kawasaki-says-china-copied-bullet-train-technology-1527012/

Japan’s Kawasaki says China copied bullet train technology

http://fortune.com/2013/04/15/did-china-steal-japans-high-speed-train/

The company that makes Japan’s legendary Shinkansen bullet trains certainly regrets working in China.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/opinion/inside-chinas-high-speed-cover-up-of-weekend-disaster/story-e6frg9if-1226104581026

Inside China's high-speed cover-up of weekend disaster

FOR Japan's high-speed rail industry, last weekend's crash in China was no real surprise.

Those behind Japan's Shinkansen, which has not had a single fatality since it began in 1964, had their fingers burned when they took their technology to China.

After collaborating on early projects, they say China stole their technology and froze them out as it looked to establish a vast domestic network as well as an export industry in high-speed rail.

In the wake of this bitter experience, they warned loudly of safety fears and doubts over Chinese operating practices and effectively withdrew from all collaboration in China.

You really think Chinese is as good as the Japanese?!