High-profile scams at the airport are threatening Thailand's allure for tourists

webfact

EDITORIAL
Use carrot and stick to rein in rogue cabbies

The Nation

High-profile scams at the airport are threatening Thailand's allure for tourists

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok's taxi drivers are once again in the spotlight for overcharging, after recent complaints by foreign visitors and expats garnered huge attention on the social media. Two Japanese expats, both of them long-term Thailand residents, drew much support from both the locals and foreign tourists for their separate condemnations of cab drivers who refused to use the meter and attempted to overcharge them.

Thais, too, have long had to deal with the unscrupulous practises of some Bangkok taxi drivers. But unlike foreign tourists, few natives of the city are refused the meter - probably because they know its use is mandatory, so cabbies don't bother to try the scam.

Instead, the biggest complaint against cabbies made by Thai Bangkokians is being refused a ride. Each year sees several thousand official complaints of cabbies saying no to a fare.

Refusing a passenger is against Department of Land Transport regulations and is punishable by a fine of up to Bt1,000.
The drivers often come up with excuses for their reluctance, such as having to return the taxi shortly or being low on fuel. But many simply drive off without bothering to offer a reason.

Of the more than 1,000 complaints filed against taxi drivers every month on average, most of them involve refusing passengers, according to Department of Land Transport records. That leads to about 3,000 fines handed out each year to rogue cabbies, while more than 1,000 others get official warnings, according to the agency.

Dissatisfaction with Bangkok cabs hailed on the street helps explain why more and more of us are switching to the taxi apps and pre-booked services as a more reliable alternative.

The problem at Suvarnabhumi Airport is a long-standing one. Observing the undisguised disappointment of cabbies at being handed the job of ferrying a Thai passenger to a destination close to the airport is an all-too common experience for users of this service. The cabbies prefer foreign tourists, who are more likely to want to go to destinations outside Bangkok, such as Pattaya. In such cases, unscrupulous drivers can add hundreds of baht to the standard long-distance fare.

The Land Transport Department is studying the feasibility of doubling the surcharge for airport taxis from the current rate of Bt50. Increasing it to Bt100 may help satisfy the many cab drivers who have complained about making insufficient income, but it will certainly upset many passengers. However, if an extra Bt50 will help discourage taxi drivers from overcharging or refusing to use the meter, it is probably a price worth paying. But the authorities must ensure that cab drivers keep to their side of that bargain, and don't add extra charges.

It should be remembered that the majority of Bangkok's taxi drivers are honest and professional. However, a minority of rogue cabbies are damaging the image of the service as a whole by trying to cheat passengers, particularly foreigners, whom they view as easy targets. These unscrupulous habits threaten to drive visitors away and damage Thailand's allure for tourists. To deal with the rogues, authorities need to properly enforce the rules already in place - especially at the Kingdom's gateway, Suvarnabhumi.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Use-carrot-and-stick-to-rein-in-rogue-cabbies-30252875.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-29

After immigration they are the first people you meet in Thailand. That is after you have woken up the girl behind that crappy desk who gives you the 50 baht ticket for a taxi.

Since we pay 50 baht for a taxi i always got an old crappy taxi. Thai customers just refuse old crappy taxi's and wait for a new one, that's why the old ones made suvarnabhumi their homebase i guess.

My last taxi couldn't go faster then 90 km/hr , if we tried to go faster then it started making strange noises from under the bonnet.

I guess if we have to pay 100 to get a taxi nothing will change..Also i think the taxidriver should pay the tollway for me so i don't have to give him money all the time and have frustrating conversations because he can't speak english.. At the destination i will pay him once for the total amount.

Just to correct you on one point.

The girls behind the desks now stand in front of what are supposed to be self service machines pressing the button and handing the ticket to you.

Something similar in Manila There have one line for vans another for metered cabs, the vans charge a ripoff rate of 700 pecos flat cabs metered at less costs. A 120 pecos ride in van cost's you 700 Then driver expects tip and not shy to ask for one. I drove cab's before and understand where drivers are coming from but on the other hand demanding is not the way to go. I made more in tips than I did in wages from driving cab.What should be done is Let the cabs pickup passengers at no fee and the loss money collected thru airport taxes.

At the back of most taxies there is a card hanging that gives most destinations and cost including the extra cost of traffic jams. Why not have a few billboards placed near the taxi ranks with this information, it can be similar to the flight departures and arrivals board that is in the departure and arrivals hall.

• Like 1

Instead, the biggest complaint against cabbies made by Thai Bangkokians is being refused a ride.

Each year sees several thousand official complaints of cabbies saying no to a fare.

i must be the unluckiest guy in bangkok with taxis then it seems it takes an average of 3 attempts to get a yes even for the most simple ride.

last month my wife had just been checked out of Rama hospital and it took 5 attempts to get a taxi for the hospital to Victory Monument (3kms away). sickening as it was obvious she was feeling weak, still hazy from the meds and really needed to get back to our hotel to rest up. <deleted>.

• Like 1

This video was posted up on Youtube recently. A Japanese passenger who can speak Thai filmed the taxi driver from Suvarnabhumi Airport starting the meter at 75 Baht rather than 35 Baht.

When question, the driver tried to claim it was the new starting price since December.

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

I wonder if any of this will be on that fake image of Swampy airport will be on the BBC show currently on TV?

Obviously not, as that was completed many months ago, it's not a live report you know.

Saddened to know that this is a NEW scam, as it "obviously"did not go on "many months ago"!

After immigration they are the first people you meet in Thailand. That is after you have woken up the girl behind that crappy desk who gives you the 50 baht ticket for a taxi.

Since we pay 50 baht for a taxi i always got an old crappy taxi. Thai customers just refuse old crappy taxi's and wait for a new one, that's why the old ones made suvarnabhumi their homebase i guess.

My last taxi couldn't go faster then 90 km/hr , if we tried to go faster then it started making strange noises from under the bonnet.

I guess if we have to pay 100 to get a taxi nothing will change..Also i think the taxidriver should pay the tollway for me so i don't have to give him money all the time and have frustrating conversations because he can't speak english.. At the destination i will pay him once for the total amount.

I must have had the same taxi when I arrived Jan 2nd! He had to stop twice and do something under the hood! Abd was the slowest taxi ride I ever got in BKK!

"Of the more than 1,000 complaints filed against taxi drivers every month on average, most of them involve refusing passengers, according to Department of Land Transport records. That leads to about 3,000 fines handed out each year to rogue cabbies......"

So, we have 12,000 complaints, and 3,000 fines. That means you have a one in four chance of being caught and financially punished, after you've been reported, which is probably only the tip of the iceburg. Might as well carry on then, chaps.

• Like 1

Came in on Monday night, a taxi driver collared me. I was going to Soi 11 Sukhumvit. Got in the taxi, he refused to put on the meter and asked for 500 baht. I started getting out and he said OK, 400. He relented to 350 but I told him no tip, which was fair enough to me as I had just traveled over 30 hours and I was early evening, so the traffic was heavy

No tip? He wouldn't have been showing it but inside he was laughing his head off at the daft foreigner who thought he was clever to negotiate the fare down but not get it down far enough. He would have enjoyed the 100 baht tip you actually gave him.